XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Need Help With Adding New Sounds.

Leimrei

I have some questions about adding new sounds to the game. Tried to send Hobbes some mail but didn't get any answers yet.

What tools or programs are used in this kind of modding (already tried the "playcat" program but I don't have any idea how to use it, would be thankful for a manual)? What extension should the sound files have? What frequency, bitrate and channels (stereo mono) should they have?

I have some questions about adding new sounds to the game. Tried to send Hobbes some mail but didn't get any answers yet.

What tools or programs are used in this kind of modding (already tried the "playcat" program but I don't have any idea how to use it, would be thankful for a manual)? What extension should the sound files have? What frequency, bitrate and channels (stereo mono) should they have?

http://ufo2k.lxnt.info/mantis/view.php?id=398

• 4 months later...

Now the game can support custom sound effects in *.wav format. And it would be a good idea to have a set of new sounds in ufo2000 distributive for the standard ufo2000 weapon set. Currently the game does not have any sounds if played without the data files from x-com. These sound effects should be free and not ripped from any proprietary sources.

Sound effects can be added to the game in the following way:

AddXcomItem {
       name = "some cool gun",
       sound = wav_sample("$(extension)/ufo2000/sounds/cool_gun_shot_sound.wav"),
}

Lua API now has wav_sample() fuction for loading sound effects.

But why the sound property format has changed?

sound = cat_sample("$(xcom)/sound/sound1.cat", 4) or cat_sample("$(xcom)/sound/sample2.cat", 4),

instead of:

sound = "cv-pistol-shot",

That was done for improving flexibility in weapon descriptions and in order to freely have any weapon set defined sounds. Old soundmap.xml was limited only to sound effects from x-com *.cat files, that's why it does not have a future. The most obvious effect was that the sounds were not supported completely when running the game without data files from x-com.

http://ufo2000.xcomufo.com/mantis/view.php?id=398

http://ufo2000.xcomufo.com/mantis/view.php?id=179

Now we have more freedom even with *.cat format from x-com. For example, now we can possibly define proper sounds for TFTD weapon set by taking them from TFTD *.cat files (but not tried that yet).

And old string identifiers from soundmap.xml are still supported if used in weapon set *.lua files for keeping backwards compatibility.

PS. There is no need for manual conversion of weapon sets to a new format, there is a script for that - https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ufo2000...apon_sounds.lua :)

Edited by Serge

Alright, I guess I have to wait for the updates for the weapon sets. I just got scared because the weapon's sounds sounded like cr@p (cannons, explosions) after my soundmod which had the "correct" sounds.

proper sounds for TFTD weapon set by taking them from TFTD *.cat files (but not tried that yet).

I tried that long time ago, didn't work. I just got strange noises.

• 7 months later...
Regarding sound effects support. What would you think about having support for loading sound effects from *.ogg files added, but dropping tracker formats (XM, IT, S3M, ...) for music (but keeping OGG support of course)? Actually DUMB library we are using now has some issues. One of the issues is that the new 0.9.3 release broke API compatibility and tweaking ufo2000 to support it is nontrivial. Compatibility with the latest versions of all the libraries is important for those who compile the game from sources (mingw-libs.zip package has a precompiled old 0.9.2 version of this library, but users of the other platforms may have problems). If DUMB is so dumb, let's drop it :)

Yes lets. If its not doing anyone any favour theres no reason to keep it there buggering things. If it makes the code easier to maintain and compile for all == good

Regarding sound effects support. What would you think about having support for loading sound effects from *.ogg files added...

My vote goes for this one.

...but dropping tracker formats (XM, IT, S3M, ...) for music (but keeping OGG support of course)
Please don't... unless you have a program that can do tracker -> ogg

...but dropping tracker formats (XM, IT, S3M, ...) for music (but keeping OGG support of course)
Please don't... unless you have a program that can do tracker -> ogg

That should be fairly simple, either directly from the tracker programms that created them in the first place or with things like this:

http://www.wayward.nl/eng-handboek-xm2wav.htm

I would be for wav and ogg support, nothing more. Or is there a good reason to support more than that?

• 6 months later...
Trackers are programs that compose music by placing samples on "tracks". Results in much smaller files than MP3:s and are easy and nice to compose. The formats include mod, xm, s3m, it, produced by different tracker programs. Tracker music aws very popular in the nineties.

• 4 months later...