XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Problem On Starting Ufo 2000

space4092

well i was really suprised to find ufo2000 at www.abandonia.com, because iam a big fan of this old game, well i installed it, and copied the versions of the other games into the folders, but if i start ufo2000 then i just get a black screen, and sound is playing....

help :((

thx

well i was really suprised to find ufo2000 at www.abandonia.com, because iam a big fan of this old game, well i installed it, and copied the versions of the other games into the folders, but if i start ufo2000 then i just get a black screen, and sound is playing....

help  :((

thx

The abandonia.com version is completely outdated. Go to the UFO2000 page and get the latest stable (version 627).

that was my fist thought too, i did that even before i downloaded it ...

what now ?

I guess you have installed the latest version of ufo2000 and still have black screen after starting it. You can try editing ufo2000.ini file and set a different screen resolution, maybe your video card or monitor can't handle 640x400 video mode used by the game by default.

• 2 months later...

Hi.

After a long time without updating our site, we decided to upgrade UFO2000 to the latest version (0.6.627). Only one problem...

I can't start the game.

I have both Terror from the Deep, and Xcom: Enemy Unknown in their appropriate folders (full versions). The version I downloaded was the Win32 installer file (using WinXP).

Now...

Everytime I try to run the game, I get a loading screen... then I am thrown back to the desktop with a nice 640x480 resolution screen.

I am not sure why this happens. The game doesn't start at all, anyone got a tips?

I will try the game in a DOS environment, but I don't think that will help.

Keep up the great work! The game is awesome, just too bad I can't play it at the moment.

EDIT:

Nope, no luck in DOS.

EDIT EDIT:

Got it!

There was a crash with the sound in the game, and my hardware. So I had to make UFO2000 make a soundcheck before starting. After that it went smoothly ^_^

Edited by Tom Henrik

• 2 months later...

Heh i was so excited when i found ufo200. I downloaded x-com: terror from the deep files, then put them into ufo200 directory after installing it. I pointed the game where it could fin the files. But everytime i try to start the game i get the mesg it cannot read the original xcom game files correctly. I got the same error with xcom demo downloaded from the link you give on your site. I have win xp. Any idea how to solve this?

mesg is "can't open file man_1f1.spk" in game directory

An no wonder since that file ain't there unless i install the demo version, but it can't read it then anyway.

Edited by Mef

Heh i was so excited when i found ufo200. I downloaded x-com: terror from the deep files, then put them into ufo200 directory after installing it. I pointed the game where it could fin the files. But everytime i try to start the game i get the mesg it cannot read the original xcom game files correctly. I got the same error with xcom demo downloaded from the link you give on your site. I have win xp. Any idea how to solve this?

mesg is "can't open file man_1f1.spk" in game directory

An no wonder since that file ain't there unless i install the demo version, but it can't read it then anyway.

Hmmm.....I've checked the readme.en file and it appears to say that you can run TFTD with only the UFO demo but I am not sure of it (although I've written that part of the help file).

Can you please try this to sort things out?

1) Delete UFO2000 and reinstall it only using the UFO Demo. See if it works.

2) If it works then delete UFO2000 again and reinstall it using both the UFO Demo and TFTD.

If number 2) doesn't work then you will need to get the full version of UFO in order to play TFTD maps in UFO2000 (and I will have to edit the readme file)

Edited by Hobbes