XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Voice Support

DecalMan

I don't quite understand the logic of this. The game doesn't need quick communication because its rather moderately paced (the 180s turn time limit is hardly cause for excitement).

What's to be served with having in-game voice as opposed to using an external program to chat to the people you want to?

On top of that, UFO2000 players are spread out over a wide variety of nationalities, more so than any commercial game at least. Even if you could talk to each other there is a decent chance you wouldn't be able to understand each other.

My point is a voice support systtem would be great as opposed to typing everything. I know xcom doesn't require voice but Im just saying it would increase my level of enjoyment.

Has there ever been a time when you have the advantage and you would love to share an evil laugh with your opponant? that, my friends, is where voice support comes in handy.

When you are using a microphone, you can emphasize and speak in different tones.

then you can tell if someones is joking or not easier and also there is no need to type "LOL" or any of that chat room crap.

it just makes the game a friendlier experience.

Edited by DecalMan

seriously though...I strongly disagree with this implementation. It also might slow down game batttles and people with low bandwidth will suffer from this.

Edit: Also, not everybody will have\want microphones.

Edited by Kratos

If it slows down some gameplay then you are probably right, it would not be worth it.

But at this point you and I have both provided our opinions and we should leave this matter to the developers.

*but I think that many gamers who have downloaded this may already have mics, or at least some*

If it slows down some gameplay then you are probably right, it would not be worth it.

But at this point you and I have both provided our opinions and we should leave this matter to the developers.

*but I think that many gamers who have downloaded this may already have mics, or at least some*

I thought I was a developer. :)

Edited by Kratos

I am against the sound support.

Maybe a few years ago, I would have figured it would be okay... now I've had experience with people who have difficulty understanding even something as simple as a manchestor dialect. The major problem with this is even if they can read and write english, their speech may not be decent enough, be an alien dialect or have a harsh enough accent that a lot of people cannot understand what the other is saying.

Normally I can understand people, despite their dialect (english dialect that is) or accent, but the vast majority of people out there will have difficulty communicating. This would counteract any usability of the sound system.

Also I plan to have a server up--maybe private, maybe public (haven't decided yet), but I don't want my bandwidth being wasted on this sort of thing (as a few of the people who I suspect might be using it wouldn't have english as their first langauge).