• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest drewid

Yeah good one.

I wouldn't make it longer I think. It should probably be less than 1m long cos otherwise the troopers will crun each other when they turn round in the skyranger.

The launcher looks nice and apart from the points already made here, I think it needs plenty of tweaking with the smoothing groups. It looks too mushy at the moment, like someone had decided to melt it a bit... :blink:

I'm not sure, but it looks like a couple of polys are a bit twisted, like the ones under the handle/scope, they look like they've sunk even though they should be almost straight (I think?). Rebuilding them in a different order should fix it though.

Edited by Mindblighter

ahhh, I can barely see it. Could you use a lighter background so it stands out and a different color on the weapon? Edited by Anglachel

I'm guessing that's for loading a round in the chamber, but if it is either it or the ammo clip needs to be moved so they line up and allow for an easier path for ammo to load and eject. If that's not what it's for, never mind. :D

IIRC, we are looking for a either a rifle or laser rifle model, as Cubik was not happy with the design. Which was it Cubik, and is that still an issue? In either case, Cubik has been designing both models, and I see this new model fitting in either of those spots. It sounds like Cubik will work with you on that design as a replacement, but I don't want to put words in his mouth regarding that.

Suffice to say, Cubik has dibs on both those models as he's already designed both. If he's not happy with either of his own, you two can discuss where this new model could fit in. Here is the art department asset list, which shows who's doing what and which models haven't been started yet. Feel free to pick up anything there or anything not listed there that was in the original game. Just let me know what you'll work on, so I can add you to the list.

The FAMAS F1 is a 5.56mm assault rifle brought into service in 1975 in the French national army. It was the first rifle to enter into service with a bullpup design. It uses a two part bolt in a delayed blowback system and has the chamber fluted to allow difficult extraction. It handles well and shhots accurately and can also launch grenades. In 1994 a new model, the F2 appeared with a full sized handguard instead of a small trigger an a NATO-standard magazine housing to accept M16 type magazines. Note that all 5.56mm ammuntion will chamber in this weapon but optimum performace is only acheived with the French service ammunition.

From Jane's guns guide.

Basically it's a oldish design updated to use modern nato standards. I had considered it for the base level of tech but as we decided that we wanted ultramodern firearms discounted it as too old.

If you like, do some research on a Heckler and Koch G11. It looks very high tech even though it was built in 1989. The nice thing about this weapon is that it uses caseless rounds which are still considered to be 'high tech' and would fit in well with the 'black ops' nature of xenocide, in that caseless rounds don't leave any physical evidence behind. :)

Guest Jim69
I think that the OICW should be implemented, as it is gonna be the future gun 4 the american army. I dunno how the attached grenade launcher would be used tho, maybe as a part of the drop down menu of TU actions when firing weapon.

The OICW was talked about a while ago as the model for the base tech human rifle so yeah go for it G :)

We had discussed other possibilties like the FN P90 or H&K MP5 but most people didn't agree on the designs, but the OICW everyone liked.

Cubik it was decided quite a while ago. You'd have to dig deep in to the forums to fin the discussion. It wasn't directed at your model. It was more a technical/tactical reasoning. the FN P90 hasn't got the kind of range/accuracy and didn't have a futuristic enough look the members were looking for.

Ok, that seems resonable. Heh, I have always thought that it was one of the weirdest/most futuristic gun created though, due to it's design on the handles and the magazine design.

How long distanceses are we talking about in the Battlescape? I can't remember that I ever shot at something, that in the real world, would have been more than 50 m away. Could a shotgun be used as an v1.0+ weapon?

Edited by Cubik

then we should have a alien shotgun :beer:

hehehehehehe!

the alien shotgun fires Miniature Alien Granades (MAGs), with eksplodes a few seaconds after impact. it can hold a totaly of 200 MAGs, and it shoots out 10 at a time. The eksplosion-radius is very minior, but the damage is very high for such a low radius. It are armor piercing eksplosive rounds, and very fatal if hit dirrectly, even when carring heavy armor. The alien control system is very advanced, and somehow aliens can lower the recoil of this weapon, while a human using it would never be able to bring the recoil under control. It have small to medium accurecy, while the 10 shots fires in quite diffrent dirrections. The loading system of it takes a time, so there is no auto function.

:devillaugh:

This is wishlisty, but what about you able you able to reaserch the weldo unit? This would raise accurecy with heavy weapons by 10%, and riffles by 5%, and you would be able to use the alien shotgun.

Edited by mikker

:explode: Hello. been reading the threads. very nice weapons design. anything that I can help in? can i throw in a few alien weapon concepts? i have a few sketches, but my scaner's not working right now. will try to get my stuff up by next week.

Certainly Warmaster! There is an alien weapon thread, I suggest posting concept art there. The assetlist at the top of this forum lists the items we're needing concepts for, choose anything you like. Also read the submission guidelines regarding this process.

Maybe the G11 could be tweaked to become the laser rifle? The laser pistol design has been worked on, maybe the rifle could follow those looks as well? The G11's body looks like it could house laser goodies IMO.

Edited by Breunor

For the OICW, since it's just the rifle, how about these changes to the original design:

The larger of the two barrels is the one used, as well as the clip in the rear. The front clip is replaced by a grip that sits a little further forward. The smaller of the two barrels is removed, and the main chamber tapers more in the front to the barrel. The rest of the gun remains basically the same.

I'll see if I can draw a pic of that, have to find my crayons... ^_^

Here's the basic idea. I think the scope may need to be a little smaller for the scale to look right.

rifle2.jpg

Yes...you may be right, it looks a little too big. I would still like to give modeling this a go. I can't start modeling until Saturday though, due to the fact my little brother is graduating from highschool on Friday.

You can make a model if you like, but as we're trying to use the now standardized design guidelines it may be simpler to just do a sketch instead. But if you're like me, it sometimes is easier to sketch with 3D than with a pencil...

Heh, you are absolutly right. I can't just make that vital hand-brain connection when painting, I can think up lots of ideas, but I have to model them on the computer to see what needs tweaking.

I not only find it easier to sketch in 3-d, I can give you 4 views of the object at once instead of drawing four different pics. I also find it more accurate, don't have to erase as much either.

If only we were making models of fruit bowls, I could put those highschool art classes to use... "great shading on that grenade concept, but doesn't it look a lot like an apple?" ^_^

Here's a quick shot of the interceptor/XC1 with a texture on it, this is the low poly concept version and will eventually have a transparent canopy with a pilot torso inside to see.

3.jpg

Guest Jim69

I think that as the interceptor is meant to be state of the art, how about a little influence from the stealth bomber in the mix, like from a front view have it appear to be almost as thin as paper, as thats what the bomber looks like 2 me. Looks good tho.

How about using the anti-radar black paint that they use as well. Would look badboy 2 boot.

Not to mention if we used the 'stealth tech' used in the B2 and F117 we wouldn't be able to use it when it rains. ;)

Jim, we've looked at using the current cutting edge aircraft for the interceptor and have hunted around various 'black project' websites but a lot of them wouldn't fit the look for a ultramodern look, they're too futuristic. If you look around you'll find references to craft like the 'bird of prey' and the 'switchblade' and various other secret craft that while high tech are a little too high tech for the base level in the game.

Unfortunately both stealth bombers the B2 and F117 are just that, bombers. Interception craft have to be fast and maneuverable and that's the area we looked into when researching the interceptor :) the F117 and B2 went operational in the mid 80's and are a bit too old even if we could have used them.

I've only just noticed this, but on the leading edge of the wing it says ATF. Those guys get everywhere :D

We're going to need custom decals for the craft in the game and I'll go do some researching into that.

Edited by Deimos

Yeah ATF get lots of goodies, but I think in this case it stands for 'Advanced Tactical Fighter' :D

The other thing is the F23 has supercruise, making it very fast all the time. As mentioned, the stealth bomber is nice but doesn't fit here. Although if you've seen the shots for the Firestorm model, I think you'll get your stealth bomber fix there. ^_^

We'll be making another texture for it, this one belongs to someone else. For fun, anybody want to guess what the poly count is on this model? Not including weapon pods or landing gear, just the main body. Take into consideration some of the other posts for craft as well. I'd offer a free wallpaper for anybody who can get within 100 polys without cheating, but all it would be is the above pic in some clouds.. :devillaugh:

Guest Jim69

I thought that the reverse wing design on fighters had been around 4 some time, I stand corrected. I also didn't know that the rain affected the anti-radar paint, not much bloody good then.

U boys ave probably already seen this design then, on Jane's website, I think this is gonna be a bomber, looks very cutting edge, and also a little sci-fi, but apparently is gonna be a real plane.

The link is http://www.janes.com/aerospace/military/ne...30605_1_n.shtml

http://www.janes.com/regional_news/americas/news/jdw/jdw030605_1_p.jpg

Edit: I didn't mean reverse wing design, I meant diamond, doh :hammer:

Edited by Jim69

Guest Jim69

The leaked black project "Aurora" might be useful as well. Dunno if u already come across it or not, I found it by luck searching 4 the craft from last post. Made (making?) by the same company, Lockheed. The link is Known details of "Aurora" project

Here's the pic, only an artist impression tho as it is still a black project.

http://home.iae.nl/users/wbergmns/thumbn/aurora_r.jpg

Heh, yeah there's lots of info around about the Aurora, do a google on black project aircraft, that's where I got most of my info from. It makes a kind of phut phut noise from some accounts and has been spotted in the uk a couple of years ago as well.The noise comes from the ramjet engine.

Jane's is a damn good site isn't it :)

Guest Jim69

Too right, I dunno if the Aurora would be much use, from what I gather it is not gonna have ne weapons, but that could always be *fixed* :devillaugh:

I dunno, I just feel like a plane that is in regular service in the military now probably wouldn't be the kinda thing a super top secret agency with millions of pounds and access to the real top of the range gear would be flying in. I would have thought prototype planes, even if they do look a little futuristic, would be the way to go. I mean, they ARE being designed now to go into service in about 10 years or so.

I think you're right when it comes to the planes the secret group makes, but these are simply interceptors that already exist. When you buy interceptors/transports, they aren't anything more than current tech planes from the various countries. So the interceptor would be something that's in use at the time. Since the YF-23 is up and coming, it will still be brand new 5 years from now, and in use for the next 20 years. So it seems to be a good candidate for a standard interceptor jet IMO.

I remember flying the YF-23 "Black Widow" in Jet Fighter 2 (old dos fighter jet game). What I heard was the F-22 recieved the ATF (Advanced Tatical Fighter) instead of the 23. If the game is accurate of its description of the planes, the 23 was MUCH better; design gave partial stealth ability (not invisible on radar but not easy to detect), much faster (almost mach 1 on 100% power, kick on the after burners and you out run the SAM's by doing 1700+ kts(sp?)), and was very manuverable at high speeds.

I wish they put it on Jet Fighter 4. I miss that plane :(

Edited by Anglachel

The YF-23 is indeed a lot stealthier compared to the YF-22, as far as I know. But IIRC it's also a LOT more expensive than the YF-22, so... they probably went for cost-effectiveness instead of pure perfomance?

Guest Jim69

I can understand wanting to not have a too futuristic plane, but having the YF-23 is simply unrealistic. Why would the commander of an organisation set up to protect the world from a technologically superior race use a plane that has been in service since the early 90's?

They wouldn't. They would use a plane that is the fastest, most manuverable and with the biggest payload available. If this meant using a black project, then that is what they would use. I just don't think that the YF-23 is advanced enough to use against invading aliens with a any effect.