XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Problems In The Middle-advanced Game With Research Fields Not Showing

I dont know if this is a common trouble, if it?s just me, or what, but I?ve had to restart games because I researched every single thing I could find and was not able to research the advanced sub nonetheless. So I had a comprehensive defense web with resonator-armed interceptors, yet couldn?t go beyond that.

It?s an annoying problem which makes me ponder whehter I should jump ship to UFO defense.

(I have the underdogs version, for the record)

I haven't used this patch but I think it should work. Give it a try, but make sure to back up your saved game first just in case. ;)

- Zombie

The team that were working on the research section when kitbashing UFO into TFTD added a few conditional requirements for some research topics. By neglecting the fact that players may research things in different orders, and because you cannot re-research some topics, these game-breaking errors can occur.

For example, Sub Construction. You must have a sub construction store item in storage before completing the last of its two research prequisites. If not, you'll never get it, thus preventing you from getting subs for the rest of the game.

A while back I wrote up a guide that lists most of the major problem areas with an explanation on how to avoid them. It can be found on the Ufopaedia Wiki under the title of the TFTD Research Tree Bug Avoidance Guide. It does have a few minor corrections that might be needed and the jury's stil out there in regards to the Tasoth Commander myth but that is not a problem you need not concern yourself with as most copies you find legally and illegally these days don't suffer from it.

Do look up the sections on Armour and Subs. This will be very helpful for you if you ever play through the game again.

- NKF

Edited by NKF