XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Bug!

Satatik

Well I just joined here and I've been reading for 2 days before tho, so.... my problem is when I start a new game.... ANY new game and make a base all of a sudden all this green writing comes up and says page xxxxxxxx where the x's are random numbers, I'm sure it says some other stuff but it happens to fast to make it out. Then it loads a game I DIDN'T EVEN SAVE at a battle. Happens every time. And yes it is a game I have played before. It could be related to a virus I have.... The virus is non destructive but a pain. Its the P.E. parite virus... you can't fix it despite what people say. What it does is goes around and attches itself to files and makes them 2067 kb larger. Could of altered x-com somhow, Dunno? The space it takes up adds up ALOT, but luckly my HD is 78GB large so I'm fine. It took up 24GB of my HD but I recently cleaned it up and it is down to 9GB used so I'm fine, I just let it be. Any clues or comments?

Well I didn't have norton. Nor can I install it, Because if I did it would attach it self to it and norton would say "cannot run, file has been altered, shutting down.". So yea. And even if I did somhow get norton running, since EVERY file is infected, the firs file it would detect it would shutdown and say reboot you computer, we found a worm, so yes I am screwed with the virus but thats not my problem, its x-com.

It works fine now. But thats because I downloaded a new one.... so any thoughts on what might of caused it.

Maybe the one you had in the beginning was the dos version? Or maybe it just takes some time before this version gets infected&screwed up by the virus :) . If you REALLY can't get rid of the virus (and want to) you can always format the hard drive... Edited by j'ordos

Your problem with xcom is in the bug FAQ at the top of this forum:

Game crash with scrolled large font text (typically green), unknown battle results shown or old battlescape game loaded

This is a common bug that cannot be worked around. You need to save your game often and in alternating save spots. Quit the game and reload your last save game, ... or get ahold of the c ollector's edition of the game.

Well I didn't have norton. Nor can I install it, Because if I did it would attach it self to it and norton would say "cannot run, file has been altered, shutting down.". So yea. And even if I did somhow get norton running, since EVERY file is infected, the firs file it would detect it would shutdown and say reboot you computer, we found a worm, so yes I am screwed with the virus but thats not my problem, its x-com.

It works fine now. But thats because I downloaded a new one.... so any thoughts on what might of caused it.

It IS a your problem if you have a virus. This one for instance spread through network shares, and I can't believe that would be any popular if you take a disc or two with it when you're at a large company/school network.

Do a complete format if you have to.

J'ordos yes I does take time to infect. An the guy above me. I'm fine, I'm not reformatting till half-life 2 :D . My systems fine, it only effects some programs. The ones that don't like getting their file size changed :D , but thats a small few I've learned and isn't a problem. The ones that are effected, I just keep a install program at hand for the program that is affected so I can reinstall every time it gets infected :D , And that can't happen when its running but it happens right at reboot. And the infection speed is 15 files per minute. The virus has no payload so other than that I'm fine, And I am just going to let it be. It's not that big of a deal. :D