Game Freezes

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Phil_*

Guest_Phil_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2002 - 11:19 AM

Hi,
I have a 94 version of X-com and the game doen't seem to run with XP. I can play the game but can't move my men off the ship on a raid or it just finishes the stage with no kills and average ratings. Is this my hard copy that has problems or do I need to download a new version?
Also.... I find the quality degrading on a 19" monitor, there must be a newer copy somewhere?

Thx, B)

#2 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2002 - 09:34 PM

I'm running good ole '95 at home. I get that occasionally too. Actually the bug happens when a soldier climbs up or down a level. I don't know how to fix it but what I've done is just reload an earlier game and play from there. There was one time I was i being invaded and my defense was particularly . . . inspired . . . just a huge rout. One of my soldiers climbed the stairs and bang game over. In this case the soldier was not allowed to climb the stairs so either I went back to before the base defense occured or just go back during the same base defense and just not climb the stairs. Which I did. Unfortunately the soldier was climbing the stairs to run away, doh!!!!!!

#3 Guest_micahdg@xcomufo.com_*

Guest_micahdg@xcomufo.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2002 - 09:19 AM

Hi,
I have a 94 version of X-com and the game doen't seem to run with XP. I can play the game but can't move my men off the ship on a raid or it just finishes the stage with no kills and average ratings.  Is this my hard copy that has problems or do I need to download a new version?
Also.... I find the quality degrading on a 19" monitor, there must be a newer copy somewhere? 

Thx,  B)

You may want to get the newer version of the game, the collector's edition. You can find it on this site's Downlaod section on the UFO Defense page, third file down. Also get the next file, xcom1fix.exe and place it in your xcom directory and run xcom1fix.exe to start the game. If you have errors while running the file, refer to this page: http://www.xcomufo.com/faq.html
This newer version of the game along with this file fix most problems experience with XP. But I bet Stewert's method works, too :)

-Micah
micahdg@xcomufo.com
www.xcomufo.com

Reply to this topic