XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Sneaky Hidden Species

GDD

Just thinking (though may have been raised a thousand times before)

I guess the plot line follows the same as the original

kill brain, win the day :D (but instead of ending there...)

afterwards you return to earth to clear up any straggling aliens

and start to discover evidence of a new unknown species independant of the brain which has managed to infilitrate some of the aliens (or could just be an error in thier engineering which has lead them to be independant)

it is of no substanial threat but just lengthens out the fun of being able to wack more aliens with thier back against the wall

I've always thought the Sectoid race would be this optimal choice. Not really hiding, but in a way, I guess you could say, hiding in plain site. That is, they're the missing link that explains the story progression into Apoc that allows the possibility of hiring hybrid troopers.

I'd also thought about their Ufopedia entry, and as near as I recall (game's not working at the moment or I'd look), their info does not say directly they are being controlled by the brain that rules the Ethereals which rule the rest.

Rather I suspect they're working together with the brain and his gang for a mutual benefit of some sort. If the entry is right and it doesn't say this, I think the Sectoids are prime candidates as well for any reasons we might see defections or alliances to happen.

That is, unless it wasn't just genetic material those cats used in the future to make hybrids in the first place and there were some actual Sectoids around to help them.