XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Last Hope News

Gurluas2000

• 2 months later...

I got fed up when I saw that noone cares. In that case, why should I? Pouring endless hours of work into something that noone, or extremely few people will ever play dries up the motivation. If I had 1-2 working mapper, 1-2 working modeller/texturer/animator and enough people to populate a single server it would be done by now. I have got too many promises but too little tangible help (such is the life of a modder). I like coding and integrate EXISTING stuff into the mod as far as they EXIST. The ones ported from HL1 just don't cut it for HL2. The problems I got with this mod are the following

- the old people, who played/play X-COM prefer strategy over FPS. They may check out for a quick play, but even that is unlikely.

- the youger people have no idea what is X-COM. They think that some equipment look ridiculus and the maps are like big boxes. You can buy guns, play a campaign and do some research. So what? Not enough eyecandy, fragging to please them.

The problem is that without the turn based part, the only way to make it X-COM is to stick as close to the original game appearance as possible. Otherwise the game will turn into a generic run-of-a-mill shooter. I didn't want that to happen.

I actually stopped at the strategy part as there was noone to make models for the X-Com/Alien base research/manufacture/command facilities. So I still have the C++ class which, with models, would allow the light strategy part to take place (modellers...). With that, and an other 30-40 maps, the full blown campaign could be done (mappers...). Strategy/interception/ground combat and a winner at the and (X-Com or Alien).

Too bad noone cared...

I got fed up when I saw that noone cares. In that case, why should I? Pouring endless hours of work into something that noone, or extremely few people will ever play dries up the motivation. If I had 1-2 working mapper, 1-2 working modeller/texturer/animator and enough people to populate a single server it would be done by now. I have got too many promises but too little tangible help (such is the life of a modder). I like coding and integrate EXISTING stuff into the mod as far as they EXIST. The ones ported from HL1 just don't cut it for HL2. The problems I got with this mod are the following

- the old people, who played/play X-COM prefer strategy over FPS. They may check out for a quick play, but even that is unlikely.

- the youger people have no idea what is X-COM. They think that some equipment look ridiculus and the maps are like big boxes. You can buy guns, play a campaign and do some research. So what? Not enough eyecandy, fragging to please them.

The problem is that without the turn based part, the only way to make it X-COM is to stick as close to the original game appearance as possible. Otherwise the game will turn into a generic run-of-a-mill shooter. I didn't want that to happen.

I actually stopped at the strategy part as there was noone to make models for the X-Com/Alien base research/manufacture/command facilities. So I still have the C++ class which, with models, would allow the light strategy part to take place (modellers...). With that, and an other 30-40 maps, the full blown campaign could be done (mappers...). Strategy/interception/ground combat and a winner at the and (X-Com or Alien).

Too bad noone cared...