XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Story Line

I agree to the fact that there should be a decent story behind the game. (Still like my own story).

Second: if somebody contacts the game makers and explains them of your intent. Say it is non-commercial etc... They are having problems releasing a new game don't they?? Maybe they like the idea.

And besides, as long as X-com isn't in the name, than they don't have the exclusive right to an alien attack story, because 50% of all SF movies are the same.....

That's a sure way to kill the project. :P Anyways whoever has the rights for x-com didn't invent this kind of game and making a general engine should keep us safe.

• 3 weeks later...

What's up with the storyline?

As far as i understand you guys are working on a remake and no longer on a sequel for x-com could somebody tell what the plans are? Is the remake the first step to making the sequel, cause i think a sequel has the most possibilities to integrate everybodies great plans.

Second IF you are still planning for a new storyline, is there anybody keeping track of all the plans? Every reasonable idea should be documented, so that anybody new to the project has the possibility to read himself into it.

Then when the game engine is kind of "finished" we could decide which of those great ideas to implement. And reading a doc is far easier then reading trough a bunch of posts.

We're probably gonna use a different storyline, but no idea as to who's version. (or if there is even a fully functional story in these dang posts. :alienlol: )

And yeah, I don't think anyone's documenting this stuff. (BTW, I wonder where Margant is... Margant? Margant? Are you there? :sorry: )

Well I think we should do a creature biography.

I like the idea of Sectoids coming from the same water world like their cousins. Originally a harmless species because there weren't many resources on their planet. Highly developed psonic abilities. Sectoids could be diffrent from aquatoids in that they lived on the shallow surfaces or perhaps from the mutations and tens of thousands of years of service as a slave race.

I think Muton Men should be mutated humans. Hey :) Man usually refers to the human race anyway. This could have been part of the purpose of alien abductions all these years. They are going to fight us with ourselves. Now after a huge cloning effort they have a hoard of muton man stored away on their secret storage base on the moon.

Etherals should be high up on the food chain. I think that after Eons in the galaxy that this species has grown sterile. They have agreed to make this mysterious giantic brain their leader and conquer the galaxy for the promise of once again being made sterile and to be considered equals to the brain.

We're probably gonna use a different storyline, but no idea as to who's version. (or if there is even a fully functional story in these dang posts.  :alienlol: )

This "storyline" issue has not been finished yet, has it?

My suggestion:

Use the UFO storyline, with modifications. Add underwater aliens and bases as well. We can always create an altogeather new story as for "why" there are underwater bases...

Perhaps we do not need any more story than this:

"For thousands of years, mankind has been fascinated by the notion of creatures from other worlds. What we did not know was that they have been here, the whole time, monitoring us. Their scouts found this planet long ago, and now, it seems, our species has ripened enough for them to bring in their harvest and makes us a part of them..."

Eh?

The idea is that the aliens are a race which brings multitude into itself by assimilating other races. They have specific creatures for specific purposes, often enhancing the natural abilities of their subjects by biomechanics and such. They have been monitoring us since we all lived in caves, and now they have decided that we are ready to become one with them...

They will probably not ask us in a friendly manner.

They will kill us, enter our DNA into their collective, harvest every natural resource on this planet, than move on.

To quote the movie Independence Day: "They're like locust".

• 1 month later...

Talking about story line... Stewart mentioned something about putting both X-Com 1 & 2 stories together. If there are aliens sleeping at bottom of Mexico Gulf and aliens want to annihilate humanity (by changing them into slaves, killing, eating or anything) they should use all available force. Here comes my two ideas:

a ) aliens woke their aquatic friends at begining of invasion so they're helping 'em during all game (until destroying T'leth). But fighting with under sea aliens would make game a little too weird, because here you gonna choose how aquatic aliens gonna act. Adding underwater battles will make game a little too complicated so maybe they gonna just be another few races with same fuel and weapons like those one from Cydonia.

b ) One of alien goals is to wake T'leth. It could be similiar to Alien Artifact (or something like that) in X-Com 2. Aliens would be flyin around globe searchiing for crashed Spaceship and when they found it they will try to wake it. In effect game will change in mentioned at variant a).

There will come problem of fighting inside of T'leth but it could be solved as changing T'leth into one big alien base where you can go only by researching special craft type or capturing one of USOs.

Well, thats all... Hope you weren't bored too much :)

I was thinking, rather than a 'kill the big brain' plot to wrap up the ending, what about having something like wiping out the labs they use to make their numerous engineered races, or something along those lines? It seems that genetic engineering pops up alot amongst Xcom critters, so I imagine if the aliens lost access to most/all of their artificial forces then they'd be forced to withdraw simply because they'd lack the man power to fight back effectively.

I was thinking, rather than a 'kill the big brain' plot to wrap up the ending, what about having something like wiping out the labs they use to make their numerous engineered races, or something along those lines? It seems that genetic engineering pops up alot amongst Xcom critters, so I imagine if the aliens lost access to most/all of their artificial forces then they'd be forced to withdraw simply because they'd lack the man power to fight back effectively.

Depends what do you mean. If it might be destroying few their labs it would change in Apoc's destroying Alien's Buildings one-by-one. Or it could be destroying some main commanding unit or computer but it might change in X-Com's 1&2 last mission. Or maybe you have some new idea?

Extralucas : Are you asking me how should they destroy the labs/bases whatever? I don't know, that seems more of a gameplay issue than storyline issue. *shrug* However they decide to do the missions in the long run I suppose.

Well I was asking have you got any idea how it should look... That's all.

They will kill us, enter our DNA into their collective, harvest every natural resource on this planet, than move on.

Just think!!!

Borg Mind set

not in the sense of one mind but a race that assimilitaes others into their own

that's not a bad idea ..... "i think" <_<

Just think!!!

Borg Mind set

not in the sense of one mind but a race that assimilitaes others into their own

that's not a bad idea ..... "i think" <_<

Like Zergs :P

They were quite similiar to UFO's aliens. They were divided on swarms. Each swarm had it's Cerebrate, who/wchich was their commander. Overmind was supreme leader of Zergs "eternal will of the Swarm"... They were united as one big mind.

Primary aim of Overmind was perfecting Zergs. Every encountered race was asimilating or, if not useful enough, anihilating.

We could create aliens as race wchich only goal is perfecting itself...

[my 0.02$]

I got an idea.

Earth 2000

Alien storys. They have been told since the day at Roswell. But those were not just storys. The were aliens. But these aliens was not agressive. Not at all. They only looked from distance, or a few times, captureing species, and talking too them. Of cause, these aliens do not understand the earthlings, and neither the other way arround. But all the storys about implantastions, and such, is all pure lies.

United Forces Over-ground headquarters

All the alien leaders of each species had been collected by the head of the UFO. They were given the task to place bases all over the sunsystems near their planets. They also were given the orders to cature, or eliminate all life, but those they needed to create colonys. The [enter alien type her] forces have told him about Earth, and its technology level. Even though the population were a long step behind, they were still poesing a threat to them. They agreed to send an assault force out to plant main bases on the other nearby planets, and moons.

The hopple telescope

it detected the fleet. The fleet who sat bases on each of the planets. The sciencefolk sended a code red alert to the US president, who kept it secret. And it soon got forgotten.

2003 Earth

The telescope, right before it was shot down, detected a part of the fleet heading for the earth. Top leaders gathered, and discussed what they had to do with the forces. The agreed to form a unit, to eliminate the alien threat, ot atleasy nulify it. They had been given top technology from all over the world, plus the funds to pay for them. Soon after, the fleet entered the eartths atmosfear, and droped down right through sea, and dived to the bottom. What they did next, is unpredictable. They dissapeared out of the sonar scanners.

What do you think? You have to enter the core of earth, and go to mars, venus, pluto, and maybe more, to defeat the alien Bases (one for each planet perhaps?). And even though the alien wont appear as often when the bases has been defeated, they will appear. You now need to get to their headquarters, a space-station orbiting somewhere out of the system, to deal with the threat once and for all.

:huh?: or is that too much background?

Ok, I comented something, and no one slaped me, spited on me or even said: NO!; or even: STOP IT YOU ^@*$%#@)(. So...

I think your idea is quite good, and allows to make multiple alien species, visiting interesting places :D, and sounds good. Main thing is to be sure that it will be done good. In apoc there were building and every was "Oh-so-important-and-aliens-can't-without-it-survive". But in practice aliens were still allive (somehow) and they were still sending UFOs and such... If eliminating alien base would be giving you some advantage (alien race defeated, UFOs aren't engaging Earth so often, or something like that). I think that main aim is making game interesting. If disabling bases will be boring and will be giving nothing in return, then it gonna be just boring....

Did I said too much? :huh:

I think we should stay by the original storyline.

Why should we change the line ?!? :huh:

It is good so how it is.

Hehe... Read carefully. Something in depths of this forum are words of it why Xenoicide should stay tight to original... But let people just dream.... Maybe someday we will write book: "71995 alternative X-Com story ideas"

I don't think you would need to go to all bases...i belive that you should need 1 commander of each species to get to the space-station, and the one of its species will reveal one of X ammount of primary bases on the planets.

So it would just make life easier if you just went to destroy all bases.

Maybe you could get a messege, that the base has been re-build?

:alientalk: Take me to your leader :alientalk:

• 2 weeks later...
Here's the idea I used with my XCOM rpg (modeled after the Shadowrun system). Aliens are the dominant life form on Earth. A group of them vanish aboard a prototype starship (think Lost in Space). The aliens still on Earth assume they vaporized or were otherwise killed and get on with their lives. While messing about with the planets ecosystem (attempted terroforming) then accidentally radically change it making the atmosphere unbreathable, so they construct huge sleep tanks underwater (the source of the TFTD) and start a system that will slowly return the environment to usable standards. This is where the dinosaurs rule the Earth (science knows that the atmopshere was radically different then). Meanwhile the lost aliens in space are trying to get home but slowly going nuts from being alone, lost in deep space. They end up attacking and conquering other species (snakemen, ethereals, etc) and using them as shocktroops and such. On Earth the atmosphere become useable again but some error causes the aliens not to wake up, so mankind evolves instead and becomes dominant. Then the xenophobic aliens arrive back and Earth, make a base on Mars (thus they are not indingenous to Mars) and try to retake the planet (they of course work slowly and carefully to find out how an "unadvanced" society like humans could defeat the aliens who they assume should still be ruling the planet. As to the part that the sleeping aliens underwater play is up for grabs, in my game they are not neccesarily hostile to humans (the space aliens are because they have gone xenophobic nuts). So the underwater aliens could help the humans (or they could be evil like in TFTD).......

As for copyright, I would use all the original XCOM type ideas and thing but make the game an "unoffical expansion". Since you won't be selling it (I assume it's going to be free? :uh:

For the "expansion" idea you could simply require it to have the original microprose .bat file in the root directory to run (then you have to have the original XCOM to play XCOM: Xenocide) Personal preference here but I would keep the XCOM name, it just ties everything together, if another game just like XCOM comes out, no matter how awesome a game is, it will never BE xcom, so it loses in my opinion. I really like the idea I saw around here of using the XCOM 1 storyline (modding it slightly for improved science background, etc) but have an "expansion" capability (a little like Civilization 2's "scenarios" where you can add units, weapons, buildings, storyline, etc. :alienmad:

Well how bout this for a story line, the you see that the aliens can get along with each other (sectoids/snakemen/etc) so why cant they just get along with us humans and we can solve world hunger........ and the game would be lots of fun. I swear, really it would..... you could.... abduct cows and make them..... bigger or something, but not too big so they destroy things. And also, make sure that they dont make shoes for Snakemen.

As for copyright, I would use all the original XCOM type ideas and thing but make the game an "unoffical expansion".  Since you won't be selling it (I assume it's going to be free?  :uh:

For the "expansion" idea you could simply require it to have the original microprose .bat file in the root directory to run (then you have to have the original XCOM to play XCOM: Xenocide)  Personal preference here but I would keep the XCOM name, it just ties everything together, if another game just like XCOM comes out, no matter how awesome a game is, it will never BE xcom, so it loses in my opinion.  I really like the idea I saw around here of using the XCOM 1 storyline (modding it slightly for improved science background, etc) but have an "expansion" capability (a little like Civilization 2's "scenarios" where you can add units, weapons, buildings, storyline, etc. :alienmad:

You cant use the XCom name even though you are making a free product. XCOM is a trademark of Infogrames so that is out of the question... or Infogrames release the trademark (something i dont think they gonna do, cause in that case every company can use the XCOM trademark for their own profit) or bless our project and let us use its name (if you think it that way, even though it sounds foolish, it has a two fold result... they revive the trademark that they already own and make money from it AGAIN and they dont spend a damn buck doing it).

Greetings

Red Knight

:ph34r: Quiet... They can hear you :ph34r:

Copyrights are way to make something unable to use by anyone. I doubt they gonna let anyone to use their trademark without any profit of it.

Probably much of stuff will be renamed (guessing) and X-Com will be changed in to X-CNT (Ekstraterrestrial combatant unit) ;)

Guest stewart
I agree Xenocide is sufficient for the name of the game. As for the multinational organization on the side of Earth in the "story", I think X- C U N T (oops! did I put a "U" in!) would be bad.

• 1 month later...

My suggestion on storyline:

- it is year 2010

- alien MEGA ship arived in orbit of earth

- the human race never had an encounter with aliens before

- first contact is made by politicians on high places thru human psychics (humans who have visions)

- aliens request some simbolic requestes for resources nad animal genoms

- politicians screw everything up by placing demands (on technology) and threating (plain old get out of my land philosophy) to the aliens

- 2 years of tensions and some sort of cold war

- nobody actually yet saw or hear or KNOW anything about aliens except MEGA big elipsiod "object" in Earths orbit

- aliens got stuck by an internal revolution (this can be discovered l8r in the game - why, etc. etc.(maybe greedy humans had something with it)) and they suddenly become hostile

- it is year 2012

- alien MEGA ship splits into 284 peices and lands on earth (unknown locations)

- aliens declare war on earth and humanity by killing (lets say) 7 human psychics (who were communicating link between hum. and aliens) by bombing the SETI headquarters (there is everything humans had on "alien" issue up to date)

- aliens start their own champaing of building the millitary, capturing resources and killing the people (they have a "slow" start because they are doing probes etc etc cuz they are adjusting to the planet eco&geo systems and/or maybe their internal revolution is not finished yet)

- humans still dont know nothing about aliens because they were comunicating strictly thru psychics (humans with visions) on earth

- Xenocide starts (in form of an small and specialized organization)

- and here we go! :-)

Comments??

Aftermath is the upcoming turn based game that everybody in the XCom Community is waiting to see if it is up to the standards... ;) Dont think it will beat XCom...

Greetings

Red Knight

Perhaps the initial alien ship either stays in orbit, lands on the moon, or mars, etc. That would be the 'Cydonia' part of the game, going into space to take them out. Are all the parts that come to earth UFOs that can fly around? Sounds like you'd have a lot on your hands early on if that's the case. When the game starts with just a few UFOs appearing you have a chance to respond and each side builds up.

The idea of the huge ship splitting up could be a good sequel storyline though. Perhaps the main base on mars or wherever is destroyed by the X-Corps, but this ship escapes and makes it to earth, and the parts scatter everywhere. The aliens lie low (or go underwater aka TFTD) until they can regroup.

hi, this is my first post (and probably one of the only few i will make) but here is my "idea" for the storyline.

In the ancient past, a race of aliens came across the earth when humans were still eating bananas and living in caves, they realised(or "saw") that humans would become advanced enough for them to take over, so they put their ship behind the moon and went into hibernation, from time to time, checking up on earth and seeing how its going, making minor adjustements here and there when humanity was getting too close to discovering some technology that could harm them (like cold fusion, plasma guns.. etc etc etc)

Once the first radio signal was beamed into outer space, bulk of the alien military woke up and began to get ready for the takeover, it wouldnt happen until the infastructure was of sufficient quality/level, so for the past 50 years or so they've gotten more and more ready, now that the infastructure is of sufficient level they will attack.

They cant do it directly cuz humans would just panic and hit the big red button and blow it all to pieces again. So they do it by subtle takeover, before you know it majority of the goverments on earth are taken over, but masses still dont know anything. You form a "underground" organization to fight the aliens. if you go up against them directly and start blowing up their ships in numbers, your just going to get every of the "assimilated" goverments after you. So it would be more of a underground war at first. until you do enough research on the aliens to discover that some of them are genetic crossbreeds between humans and aliens and at that point you get the support of the rest of the earth and you have to figure out a way to kick the aliens arses..

and once the going gets interesting there should be streetfights against the aliens. similar to fallout tactics style, you could control a say ... 20 member team but the aliens and other humans (armed people, and the army and such like) would control far more. and in a average "city mission" you couldnt possibly cover the entire city, just some street to street fighting and helping where help is needed. more of a REAL warfare feeling instead of a empty city with 20 civilians. 20 aliens and 5 UBER xcom dudes that go and nuke everything with the "Acme remote controlled tactical nuke for home use"

it should allso be possible for the aliens to take pieces of the earth for themself and depending on the military strength of the country that the piece is taken it could A, dissapear but the funding from that country would drop like a stone cuz they would have to fight it themselfs (unless you help ofcourse) B, stay the same or C expand. like "alien zone of control" ( i got this idea before i read about the other UFO game)

Seeing that they(aliens) are probably millions years older than you, you are its not likely that you could invade their ship and destroy it(simply cuz they would probably have a few million people there minimum, or kill some "mother brain" or nuke the moon or something... so there would be atleast 2 possible endings

A: you complete a satellite net with the help of the goverments of earth (like say... 12 launch sites you have to protect so the aliens dont destroy them.) and the more the wipeout the slower the production of the satellites. The satellites are similar to the ones in the stargate episode. absolute power,)

B: you develope a toxin that makes it impossible for them to inhabit this planet (would be the most difficult and timeconsuming ending since it would take EXTREME amounts of time to make a virus that would kill them but not you and they couldnt cure. and that would effect every single race of them and still not fubar the flora/fauna of earth.

im not sure if anyone understood what i mean but the main point behind my idea was a bit inspired by the movie V (visitors)