XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Alien Pacts?

delak

Nope, impossible. I don't think the aliens would let a "human ally" help X-Com again :P

You should also avoid that happening, since if too many sign a pact with the aliens you lose. Countries usually sign a pact with them if your score is low / negative or they have many alien bases in their territory.

No. You don't need to start over. Its not like the Council of funding nations gives you enough money anyway. You should work to get a laser cannon ecomony up and going, and try to lose as few countries as possible (if you lose too many, its game over.)

By laser cannon economy, I mean manufacture laser cannons in bulk and sell them for high profit. (Laser cannons net you the most net profit per unit.)

I have lost 4-5 countries so far, but I can survive without their money anyway. Are you saying, that I loose certain number of countries, I will loose the game?

And that 'certain number' means 'less than the number of all countries listed'. :)

I think Stewart said once he had a country coming back.

on my side i never got anyone coming back.

a small tip.. best thing is to build the first base in Europe.. then North America.

they provide most of the cash but again if you have a factory of laser canons you can survive, and i think LC is the best source of $$

Apparantly I'm the only one whose ever gotten countries back. My version of Xcom is REALLY old so maybe I have a happy bug. At anyrate, keep your monthly scores really high and they eventually come back BUT . . . . .

They come back at around their initial funding for the game and they can just decide to go away again without even complaining, and then out-of-the-blue come back. So their comming back is chaotic to say the least.

BTW I've NEVER lost Russia (the biggest country :blink: ). I think it has to do with it having cities in different regions so Geoscape doesn't know what to do.

Apparantly I'm the only one whose ever gotten countries back.  My version of Xcom is REALLY old so maybe I have a happy bug.  At anyrate, keep your monthly scores really high and they eventually come back BUT . . . . .

They come back at around their initial funding for the game and they can just decide to go away again without even complaining, and then out-of-the-blue come back.  So their comming back is chaotic to say the least.

BTW I've NEVER lost Russia (the biggest country :blink: ).  I think it has to do with it having cities in different regions so Geoscape doesn't know what to do.

I wish I had that bug. I hate loosing countries, but it never happens (at least not lately). After you beat the game once, it's not that hard not to loose countries (except on Superhuman). Anywho, did I mention I love X-COM?! :wub:

lets have mega man then! And then Semi-mech human! And then robocop human!!!! AND THEN GOD HUMAN! MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

ehmm

[shuts op]

lets have mega man then! And then Semi-mech human! And then robocop human!!!! AND THEN GOD HUMAN! MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

ehmm

[shuts op]

Well we don't want bad reviews for the game being too difficult now can we? ^_^

It would give people a real boost to their self-esteem if we just renamed the existing difficulties without actually making it more difficult... so beginner = superhuman, only in name (like in the original XCOM :D )... 'I am so great, I beat the game on Superhuman :rock: ' (I know i thought that of myself after finishing it... and before hearing choosing superhuman did not increase difficulty at all :blink: )

Give people like me a break, we have not yet completed in Beginner yet.

What this post SHOULD say:

Give people like me a break who have not had the time to complete the game in Beginner mode.

Cpl: Touch my posts again without provocation or good reason and you die!

Edited by dipstick

If you are in the red (-2mil) for 2 months in a row you lose. If you get a really bad score for 2 months in a row you lose. If you lose all (most?) of the funding countries you lose. If all your bases are invaded you lose. Those are all the losing triggers I can think of...

• 5 months later...
Remember not to let the ufos on infiltration missions land, that is a sure way to lose a country.

can you prevent an infiltration by not shooting it down, but by landing next to it and infiltrate the ufo, like supply-ships?

IS IT THEORETICAL POSSIBLE TO KEEP EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY?

Edited by Sam_Vimes

I had situation where I lost UK and USA. I shot down all the UFOs approaching the countries. In my other games I was landing near landed infiltration UFOs. Still nothing. I guess you might've been lucky. ;)

Pact seems to depend of alien score/activity in individual country. If they have many missions succesful or totally unnoticed or a base in/near this country the pact will get signed. This can be prevented by shooting down the infiltration fleet only if the alien score is not much too high. When succesful, these battles rise the x-com score and lower the aliens and thus the balance is tipped back from "pact score", but if the aliens have huge score this does not help enough.

Apparantly I'm the only one whose ever gotten countries back.  My version of Xcom is REALLY old so maybe I have a happy bug.  At anyrate, keep your monthly scores really high and they eventually come back BUT . . . . .

They come back at around their initial funding for the game and they can just decide to go away again without even complaining, and then out-of-the-blue come back.  So their comming back is chaotic to say the least.

You're not the only one! :happybanana:

My old dos version had this "bug" too. I don't know if it is a bug at all or if it SHOULD be like this because it makes perfect sense. Usually if I lost a country, I made a x-com base there and kept that country clean for a few months and I got them back. I haven't had this in CE version so I don't know which one is a bug:

1. Possibility of getting countrys back at funding (makes sense) or,

2. Being impossible to get them back once they have signed a pact (sounds stupid)

For me getting countries back is a bug. Once they signed the pact they agreed that aliens are nice & peaceful. They bring superior technology and promise great future. (Supply Ships are part of Infiltration Fleet) Why should they abondon their allies?

• 3 weeks later...

> Extralucas

> I had situation where I lost UK and USA. I shot down all the UFOs approaching

> the countries. In my other games I was landing near landed infiltration UFOs.

> Still nothing. I guess you might've been lucky.

You shot down all UFO's you could see -> you may not have seen all.

If the infiltration UFO lands -> mission success.

What I always observe, is that if a country signs a pact, an alien base is nearby. I have never had a country walk out just because of UFO activity alone.

I've also had countries returned in the 1.4 DOS version, always after I attacked the base and downed lots of ufo's (never tried placing a base in the country, though close enough - say area).

Hasn't happened so far in the 1.4 CE version that I play now. In my present game South Africa is still giving me the thumbs down, though I havent found & eliminated their base yet. Perhaps the aliens dismantled it.

And it always requires a successful infiltration mission, though if you have a lot of activity over a country, chances are quite high you missed one of the infiltration ships, or it 'popped up' right over/close to the country and landed = :devillaugh:

cheers,

sunsmountain

suns

Actually, the alien bases generally appear after the countries have signed over. Not always. Occasionally one might already be in the country prior to defection, but you'd already have seen all the tell-tale signs of its existence by then anyway.

Also, an alien base in the area only generates activity points, most of which you can easily make up for with a single mission in the area.

More likely it was an infiltrator that landed just beyond your detection range. Happens all the time with the US even if you have a HWD smack dab in the centre of the country ... I know Hawaii is in the pacific, but I wonder if it counts as being goverened by the US?

It's when the infiltrators land and then take off again, that' when you should start worrying.

I've never had any countries return, dos 1.x - 1.4 or 1.4ce. Even went and made a special 'campaign' where you start with no countries supporting you (and you don't start with a base either) to test this out, and no one returned. On the bright side, infiltrations are no longer an issue, since there's nothing left to infiltrate. :) If anyone wants to try my Play from Scratch challenge: http://www.geocities.com/nkfarma/xchal/scratch.html

If anyone is really serious about checkign out whether or not countries will return, have a go at the above savegame.

- NKF