XCOMUFO & Xenocide

All Those Wondering What They Can Do.....

PeterDragon

Ok, here are a few of the types of people that I think we will need. Please amend any others or shoot down any that we won't need. Maybe someone can quantify these better than just saying we will need them. We may already have some of these, but I figured why not just try and spell it out instead of having a few I can help posts. Not that those are bad.

1: Artists, 3d modlers

2: Artists, tile and texture

3: Coders

4: Document person

5: Story people

6: Testers

Again, please expand upon any such thoughts to allow for better reading / recruiting. I know there is more, but I just am not thinking of it, so instead of wasting time, I'll let others come up with them and add / append them.

Well, I'm quite the slacker, but professionally I'm a copyeditor and a darn good one. Worked for years as a staffer on magazines (for McMullen Argus Publishing, I got to work on Truckin', Mini Truckin', Low Rider, Popular Hot Rodding, Splash, Hot Bike, Off-Road, and stuff like that). So I can help when you get around to the documentation. I'm also a writer, but I'm not nearly as good a technical writer as I am a copyeditor. I'd be pretty good on the story end though.

And, of couse I can help testing. Even if I flake off and stop coming by the forums, go ahead a drop a line to my listed e-mail account. It's been around since before Yahoo offered e-mail, and before microsoft offered internet service, so it's really not going anywhere. But I have a habit of joining forums, then leaving after a few months.

Wow I didn't know you were a modeller 5parrow. You sound talented since you are good at coming up with algorithms and ideas and you know how to model. Hey in a previous post you said something about your C++ skill leaving much to be desired. Why's that? If you know how to do algorithms the rest is just syntax. I'm sure you could be a great C++ programmer from listening to you come up with the algos..

If you know how to do algorithms the rest is just syntax.  I'm sure you could be a great C++ programmer from listening to you come up with the algos..

Thats true, the only you need is Programming experience if you have enough creative power to get an algorithm that works... (And thats prettty hard, on its own)...

Grettings

Red Knight

I would love to work on the soundFX. I've been messing with sound for a few years now so i could do some freaky sh :wacko: t, amospheric loops, weired alien noises, Id be lovin it.

All i need is fairly detailed desciptions of a weapon/alien/whatever and i can make something up to see how you like it.

I also do music but its a bit errr... avaunt gard (ie. poo) for most tastes.

If not id be happy to play test.

• 3 weeks later...

welcome aboard Jfranzen. I have browsed your website and the surreal dude with the mask looks .. quite surreal, LOL and scary too.

There are models that we are going to use from Last Hope forum so for the mean time you might want to go there and check them out.

http://www.lasthopemod.com/dboard/viewforum.php?f=3

Let me know if u have any qustions.

:alienmad: :alienmad: :alienmad:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am very interested in helping out on this project, kind of a jack of all trades sys admin at work, but want to get into the development process. Let me know if there is anything I can help with, I have basic programming experience, and would like to learn more if I can mentor informally with someone. I can also help with some graphics, documentation, or I can playtest for you. I'll check back here, or you can email me at civgodATemail.com.

Thanks,

Noah

Guest Bedsheet

I'm here!! Sorry it took me so long to find this place, been a huge fan of X-com for a long time. I even ran a pen and paper rpg game based on X-com for my freinds at one point. Used the West End Games Star Wars system. I would love to help out what you guys have so far is awesome.

I have no programming exp, I could help with testing and story. Let me know what you all think.

Big Dave

I have C programming experience and learning the C++ side of the language now, I am planning on making an xcom clone but very simple using 2d graphics. I have made a game using SDL and C but with this project of my I am going to use C++ and ClanLib.

I would like to join this team for many reasons, and I will be around for awhile. So if I am accepted email me here [email protected]

I am 20 years old and I have lots of time on my hands.

If you know C basically to learn C++ all you do is look at iostreams, and then objects which you basically start thinking as structs with functions in them. you go from there to inheritence and polymorphism and then take a look at exception and you should mostly be caught up. I learned C++ basically in a Day that way being a former C programmer myself. Just saying that because most C++ books are at least 50% of the stuff you already did when learning C. So you can skip alot of sections.

If you know C basically to learn C++ all you do is look at iostreams, and then objects which you basically start thinking as structs with functions in them.  you go from there to inheritence and polymorphism and then take a look at exception and you should mostly be caught up.  I learned C++ basically in a Day that way being a former C programmer myself.  Just saying that because most C++ books are at least 50% of the stuff you already did when learning C.  So you can skip alot of sections.

The hard part is to get the Object Oriented Programming philosofy and dismiss some of the clever tricks that works pretty well in C style programs, but destroy a good OOP design. Thats tricky.

By the way everybody is encouraged to work on the project, just read the docs in sourceforge and pick a task... if you dont like anyone or you want to suggest something, just drop a post here or on the xenocide programmers forum and an admin of the project will open the task and appoint it to you... Just remember that right now we are concentrating on the basic classes (information pieces) to find out how they work toghether, no GUI, no OpenGL programming, just data.

The same for the rest, dont expect to get a mail just find a task that you think is up to your skill and do it...

Greetings

Ok I made an account, I thought you needed a CVS software to link the code files am I wrong and if I am not where and what should I use for windowsxp ?

Yes I agree OOP is very different but I just need to work with the code and I will catch on real fast(I hope...)

Ok I made an account, I thought you needed a CVS software to link the code files am I wrong and if I am not where and what should I use for windowsxp ?

Yes I agree OOP is very different but I just need to work with the code and I will catch on real fast(I hope...)

Yes you need a CVS client, check out the xenocide programmers forum, i had posted simple instructions to use the CVS Client from the command prompt... To how to install SSH and upload the keys to Sourceforge, take a look in the Sourceforge FAQ (think so, but its in sourceforge anyway)...

Greetings

Red Knight

I am very good at trying to purposely stretch the limits of programs and break them. I have managed to make the X-box crash a few times, and I have also broken Windows XP Professional under some extreme conditions. I am interested in being a tester and writer.

I have tested Geoscape already, and I think it would be great if the buttons would un-highlight after you click them. It would also be great if an "Are you sure?" dialog popped up after clicking on "Abandon" under "Options."

I am very good at trying to purposely stretch the limits of programs and break them. I have managed to make the X-box crash a few times, and I have also broken Windows XP Professional under some extreme conditions. I am interested in being a tester and writer.

My XP uptime only seems to be about a week at most - I've had to restart due to nothing appearing after about that much time in roughly 9 instances.

hehe I never turn my computer off...god bless college ethernet.

Hey Chicken Devil, can you do skins? I was thinking of trying to use Blender to make a few trial stuff like a ship or something, and it'd be a great help if you can help me make the skins. (I was thinking along the lines of Adobe Photoshop?)

I can do 4, 5, and 6....and I can also do 2d animations (i cannot do 2d artwork). (like cut scenes). I need stuff to work with though. I can't draw my own 2d images to animate, but if you gave me say...a sectoid, I could probably get him to do the macharana....(that would take a while...and it has to be a really good sectoid) Basically what I start with is representative of what I'll end up with. lemme know.

hi all,

i haven't played x-com for a while now but as it seems it's so good game that i just cant forget it :P . so i would like to add my 2 cents into this project. my most beneficial skills for this project would probably be OOP programming (Java mostly but also a bit C++ ... like one or two ActiveX controls) and C programming (excluding networking and such). i also enjoy messing around with graphics , mainly layouts. when it comes to story writing or documentation writing then im plain crap but still i have a few "good" ideas how x-com could be improved concerning tactical missions.

if i can be of any assistance then plz let me know via email or this forum (jaanusDOTreismaaATsoloDOTee)

Hey Chicken Devil, can you do skins? I was thinking of trying to use Blender to make a few trial stuff like a ship or something, and it'd be a great help if you can help me make the skins. (I was thinking along the lines of Adobe Photoshop?)

Has been a while, but my photoshop skills will do the trick. Maybe if you give me something to work with, I can see what I still remember from last time (I used to be a texturizer for a game, but quit because of lack of serious work by developers).

• 4 weeks later...

I'll volunteer for coding, testing, and/or audio development (didn't see it listed, but if there's room for a volunteer to do sound card i/f checking and maybe some recording/composing, count me in) Most of my non-HDL programming experience has been C, but I've put my time in the C++ and MASM salt mines, FWIW. Using mostly Perl and sh of late, for my current sysadmin-ish job, so I'm looking to dig my teeth into something programming-intensive again. Done some client-server network app programming, too, so I may be able to help with multiplayer tweaks.

Once there's something to document, perhaps I can be of assistance there, too.

You neeeed all of us! :D

According to something like names generation you probably need help from all peeps around the World. There will be needed their help in making world... Xenoicide gonna take place around the whole world so you probably need info from all gathered here persons who don't now anything about coding, have to weak compsto beta test and such but still wanna help

I volunteer as an ex-military "consultant". Admit that I don't know a shred of programming, but do know (and experienced in 1st person... that's the key) actual real-life military weapons and tactics.

Will be at Sydney University as of tommorrow, so if any of you guys need some first-hand military info, just drop an email to [email protected] (with XCOM remake in the subject line) and I'll get back to you pronto.

Hey there crazy people

could u tell me if you are still looking for helpers

I could work in field 4, 5, 6.

Pretty decent with software testing no prof. skills

anyway if you still need help i'll be here :link:

Also if you are planning to put this into other languages

I can translate to Spanish my e-mail [email protected]

Just keep active in the forums and keep an eye out when people have stuff to do...we're always open to people stepping to in help...a word of warning IT'S ADDICTIVE!!!! You'll probably lose your house, your job, your wife...family and friends...but we'll have a kick donkey game!!! OK, maybe not that bad, but you do find yourself spending all the time you can afford to working on the project.

You'll probably lose your house, your job, your wife...family and friends...but we'll have a kick donkey game!!! 

Ok I can live with that

:wave: bye bye everything

As long as i have the game :wacko:

just waiting to kill those damn aliens :alienoooh: :plasma:

anyway i'll stick around to see what you guys are up to if you

need a hand :wave:

where is that Muton :flame: :alientalk: burn burn!!!!!! :devilburn:

I volunteer as an ex-military "consultant". Admit that I don't know a shred of programming, but do know (and experienced in 1st person... that's the key) actual real-life military weapons and tactics.

Will be at Sydney University as of tommorrow, so if any of you guys need some first-hand military info, just drop an email to [email protected] (with XCOM remake in the subject line) and I'll get back to you pronto.

Welcome to you all...

Well the AI Programmers eventually will find helpful descriptions of how to flag specific topographys with internal names to find places to hide, ambush and specific tasks... the same for accomplish group mission objectives, specific tactics, etc... A document (not too verbose) of what programmers need to know to code patterns like ambush, hide, seek and destroy, exploring, etc will be very useful... Can you handle that?? Of course, you can handle it, the question should be: Are you willing to handle it?

Greetings

Red Knight

Hello, I would like to help in any way that I can, but I don't know how to go about it.

I think the areas where I'd be best suited to help would be,

Writeing - manuals, UFOpedia, background fiction, etc...

Testing - well let's be honest, who doesn't want to be involved with testing?

Brain storming - well I hope I'd be helpful here, but I can really only come up with basic game mechanics, not how to implement them, beacuse alas I cannot program

And possibly art, for some of the simpler requirements.

Anyhow, I'd like to know how I can get into regular contact with the people who I'd need to see in order to lend my time and effort.

Sounds great, Red Knight... But a big problem just cropped up.

In Sydney University, internet access is kinda limited and very expensive. Besides, I just received my first semester timetable. :blink:

Best estimate I can give for the document that you are suggesting is probably only in June/July. Sorry man...