XCOMUFO & Xenocide

More Special Missions As Part Of Gameplay?

hyos

Being new here, and hoping this was not posted before, I'd like to post an idea I got from playing Aftermath. (Copying ideas is okay if you do it right :) - Silent Hill is now better than Resident Evil and it used basically the same idea)

IN UFO, there was one special mission on Mars, TFTD had this mission in T'leth IIRC. Why not have some more special missions as part of the storyline, like an special Alien outpost on the moon (like their semi-main [is that a word?] headquaters there), an alien museum of human technology near T'leth where the aliens keep all those planes and ships from the Bermuda triangle and you can get vast amounts of scientific data, Area51/Dreamland being controlled by aliens [Aftermath inspired], something in Tunguska where supposedly a huge UFO crashed in 1908 - perhaps a Russian science base there , an secret base in the Arctic/Grenland built into the ice, a huge alien ship orbiting earth where you have to sneak in (guess the whack movie) and more...

Obvoiusly, not all are easy as much modelling and texturing would have to be done, but an Alien moon base could look like their bases on earth just have some special rooms - like hangars for example and a special control room, the spaceship could look like the UFOs with some added content. Some ideas for the start here.

What do you think?

The only problem with that, is after a few times you just know they're going to come and around where (unless we still make them random, like in every game you play there's x% chance it will happen, so you'd have to play it a few times to have seen them all :naughty: )

Ok, you know the alien bases will come too, but those still are random generated, while those fixed missions will not... (or will they?)

I remember that when you played Fallout it had some special random events that occured on the world map. So some special missions beeing hidden somewhere would be a super hidden candy bonus :) Perhaps as a kind of expansion pack for Xenocide :)

Maybe if you find "Neuschwabenland" you could use 1 or 2 of the "Reichsflugscheiben" (how would be there) to intercept UFO's.

nazicraft.jpg

Maybe if you find "Neuschwabenland" you could use 1 or 2 of the "Reichsflugscheiben" (how would be there) to intercept UFO's.

The implications of that pic are quite scary :whatwhat:

Those officers look like SS and don't loook bothered by the fact a ufo is landing nearby.

Well, the don't have to be SS, they could be from the Wehrmacht or the Luftwaffe... And the UFO is not landing, it is relaunching after it's German crew has refuelled it... For those of you who believe in conspiracy theories...

And you could make a whole game based on the "Nazis invent the Flying Saucer" theme... Or "Nazis cooperate with Aliens"... But as we don't want Xenocide to become another MOH let's keep it small. Well one base could still be there perhaps only giving hints of such activities?

post-3-1068111303_thumb.jpg

Edited by hyos

Yeah, yeah, the axis of evil:

Berlin-Rome-Tokyo-Cydonia.

Hmm... X-Com in the 1940s would

be a funny theme for a mod...

But please try to keep such content

out of the main game, because...

1) many people are easily offended by it.

2) the game would probably be illegal in

Germany. That may sound weird to some people,

but display of a swastika (for an example)

is forbidden. That's why games like Commandos

must use different textures for the german market.

Retailers would go to jail if they sold the original...

I agree with Jack Sparow, it wouldn't be fitting to have it the main game but we could use a non specific thing that in general refers to the Axis powers co operating with aliens.

I have a very interesting ufo lore book that says any time a major conflict arises, ufo's have been seen. From the walls of Jericho to Vietnam ufo's have been spotted in conflict.

So it would be a nice nod to ufo lore if we had something in.

Hmm... X-Com in the 1940s would

be a funny theme for a mod...

Yeah that's what i'm thinking, too. Let's have some missions that fit into the storyline well, with perhaps one mission somehow connected with the 1940's topic,

but let's not make a big part of the story connected to this particular theme.

A fantastic idea for a mod though, I think. (2005/2006 probably :D - well worth the wait)

hehe....and it would be x-com agenst a nazi-team inside a german UFO? Could they have a man with a blaster launcher called "Adolf hitler"? and would he be commander?

Could they have a man with a blaster launcher called "Adolf hitler"? and would he be commander?

Obviously not! He would be the fuher! :D (Actually Fuher with the two dots above the u. :))

It doesn't have to be a major part of the plot, but it would be so cool to learn about what the aliens are doing (allying with axis powers, observing human warfare, anal probes)

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm... Apoc did have something like that. After you get into the alien dimension you had to accomplish a series of missions to finish the game. I liked that idea.

On the side note, there was a very special price in one of those missions. If you capture the alien queen instead of kill it, you can research toxin c which was an a_ss kicker of anti-alien but_t banger.

As you may have notice on another thread specifically about a CTD about Abductor UFO's the textual + visual gore/violence must be kept to a minimal... Say it implicitly or explicitly saying Nazis are helping aliens to kill humanity (wheather you agree with their ideas or not) is just as violent to them.

As this is the laboratory and it doesnt reflex what the Xenocide Team think about half of this thread. Unless the board administration find this not suitable (cause they have a special reglamentation about religious and this stuff) I will let the posters to do their own censorship and delete their own messages. I hope you understand why...

Greetings

Red Knight

We could perhaps just learn that the Axis had had a contact with the extraterrestrial ones after having carried out a mission in the Antarctic or in the North Pole.

As we could learn that Americans had had a contact with them, just as Russian and the Chinese.

well contact with an alien race in 1930's would quickly explain why the nazi regime had a technological advantage and could also be used to say that hitler was under alien mind control (previous alien plans for global domination, weaken earths forces ect..) but frankly i think it would be best if we stay clear of the whole nazi idea.. even for an easter egg. Anything regarding the nazi regime, even fictional/innocent, can be easily misinterpreted and taken into offence.

As you may have notice on another thread specifically about a CTD about Abductor UFO's the textual + visual gore/violence must be kept to a minimal... Say it implicitly or explicitly saying Nazis are helping aliens to kill humanity (wheather you agree with their ideas or not) is just as violent to them.

As this is the laboratory and it doesnt reflex what the Xenocide Team think about half of this thread. Unless the board administration find this not suitable (cause they have a special reglamentation about religious and this stuff) I will let the posters to do their own censorship and delete their own messages. I hope you understand why...

Greetings

Red Knight

So should we delete our messages or not? I know that the idea is crazy and in my messages you can see that I don't think we should dvelve into the topic...

id like a "caputre a ship while its in the air" mission. hehe, punch a hole in the wall while its almost out of the atmosphere, room closes the next turn (unless its breached) and everyone starts geting sucked out, those without self sustained oxygen (hover tanks and the hover or power armor would qualify im sure, along with SOME aliens (not all)) would black out immeditly, anything that gets sucked out is dead. period.

I am interested in such a scenario. I think instead of the aliens helping the Germans, it could be instead a Scout craft was landed, and unfortunately(for the Aliens), the pilot got killed.(Therefore, the craft was seized.)

Also, you could make a small side mission where documents concerning about that situation can be found(spoils of war, after winning the mission.)

In these documents, it can be said that Germany's high development costs for their advanced alien technology research was part of the reason they lost the war.(The other being Hitler's various obsessions.)

From these documents, perhaps some new technology could be discovered, like the "Foo Fighters" that are actually aerial scouts(Useful?), and a slighty different version of a alien ship.(tougher/utility?)

Personally, I would rather see a very vague refrence that the aliens cooperated with the axis powers. Just a little text that says something to the effect of: It is believed that certain powers in world war II had the support of the insidious aliens.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that a vague ref to alien activity during ww2 would be fun, it would continue to add mystery to the game and help pull the player into the storyline without offering enough content to become offensive.

example:

"discovered an old research article in Berlin, dated 1936. The article seems to be a blueprint for constructing a powersource similar to current alien technology. Article also mentions an "agreement" of some sort and refers to a projects "outlander" & "Blitzkreig".

-based on coded information provided by this article, we could establish the location of the other documents but it will take some time to research.

LOL..true, so i guess we should either scrap any ww2 ref all together or try and make it work. I'm a slight history buff, so for me vague ww2 refs would be interesting and would also create added depth into the aliens influence on human evolution.

seeing that most alien mythology is based on mystery and conspiracy i really think it would contribute to the overall quality if done properly.

but i can't speak for everyone else, so if it's to be taken seriously we might want to take this subject to the polls.

I think you should be able to find some clues in the game, that will lead you along the storyline, and depending on what those clues might have inspired in your imagination, you should go along different alternative ways to beat the game, like kill the masterbrain on mars or sneak an engeneer into alien hideout (might be a special mission) and recieve information, that the actual masterbrain is a famous rock star, and you'll have to find him/her/it and deal with the situation. Again this will give a better ending movie (or clipshow). Think Fallout and Fallout 2 with their infinite alternities and side-quests.

Who wants to be poltically correct? I mean, look at grand theft auto ;)

Anyways, back to the special mission thing... it would certainly be pretty interesting to have little side-quests or the like. Something I was kickin around in my peanut sized brain was that of political espionage missions or the like. Perhaps the USA or EU decide they want some intelligence on another nation or something of that ilk. They offer you increased funding or a basic base built somewhere in their borders at no cost, but you would have to undertake an Apocalypse style "raid" mission. This is where things get tricky, for as you raid this government/corporate agency you could have multiple ways of accomplishing the mission with variable outcomes. A stealthy avoidance approach could avoid incidents but is much more risky as you would prolly use a smaller team or single scout against a well armed/defended installation. If you would use a brute force approach the risk of discovery by that organization or government would lead to a cutting of funding or the raising/denial of certain supplies. It is quite similar to the ol' Apoc raid missions but perhaps make it more difficult than just a smash and grab if you have to look for a quest item like documents (hard copy or electronic) or sabotage certain areas with explosives.

I always liked the ol' idea of government hostage rescue missions versus alien terrorists. It would add another varying scenario to the mix with major repurcussions if ended in failure.

...Poltically Correct...  On the whole Nazi idea,

As long as you make the alien involvement with Nazis interesting, most people wouldn't mind, and it'd give the extreme people another reason to hate them. :devillaugh: A vague reference won't hurt anybody, but saying that the aliens were involved in concentration camps etc. is just asking for trouble. Just stick with the Nazi army and stay away from the horror of it all and it should be fine. PC people are very loud, but no one really listens to them. A vague reference to a WWII regime won't be much to worry about. It's not like you're going to say that Hitler was a maniac that the aliens put into power to set up huge biomass collection facilities, are you? :idea:

I mean, look at grand theft auto

Grand Theft Auto was about The Mob. A good Mob game can't be politically correct, because the real Mob isn't.

Anyways, back to the special mission thing...

Interesting ideas, ChonkE. X-Corps people aren't covert ops, but they could probably do little things on the side... :huh?: It'd add some variety to the missions.

X-Corps is managed by many countries. You'll have alot of people on base that will be loyal to any of the countries that you raid. I don't think X-Corps would be able to do any dirty work, per se. I think you could do missions to uncover info on alien activity within governments, though. Things like: "Russia thinks that the US may have secret alien contacts. Find and capture them."

The original X-COM said that aliens will sometimes take human form, *gulp* and influence the highest places in government. Finally, a mission with an actual use for mind probes! :D

For a real "Connections2" experience, please read the beginning of the post again. ;)

...Poltically Correct...  On the whole Nazi idea,

As long as you make the alien involvement with Nazis interesting, most people wouldn't mind, and it'd give the extreme people another reason to hate them. :devillaugh: A vague reference won't hurt anybody, but saying that the aliens were involved in concentration camps etc. is just asking for trouble. Just stick with the Nazi army and stay away from the horror of it all and it should be fine. PC people are very loud, but no one really listens to them. A vague reference to a WWII regime won't be much to worry about. It's not like you're going to say that Hitler was a maniac that the aliens put into power to set up huge biomass collection facilities, are you? :idea:

You know, that could actually be really cool! Biomass collection facilities! I like it! :)

• 6 months later...
We could perhaps just learn that the Axis had had a contact with the extraterrestrial ones after having carried out a mission in the Antarctic or in the North Pole.

As we could learn that Americans had had a contact with them, just as Russian and the Chinese.

Exactly!! :o

ANYONE could be the bad guys in this, especailly if you consider the Cold War era, both the US & USSR could have conspired with aliens, wich basically played both sides against the middle... I think the Etherals would definitely be of this style... :devillaugh:

How else do you explain velcro... :LOL:

Then again, someone in the 1930s could have simply recovered a crashed UFO and some corpses... interesting enough without beiing too far off course.

Oh, and PLEASE leave the Nazis out of this... It would look so cheezy... :hammer:

The Germans were just a bunch of disciplined people who happenned to listen to a charismatic leader that veered them toward despotism by using propaganda and "the need to defend homeland" to justify the horrible jailing and execution of intellectuals, journalists, jews, etc.

It IS NOT FUNNY and should not be treated lightly in a game of this sort. History is to be remembered, not ridiculed. :blink:

On a lighter note, perhaps the Area51 would be attacked by aliens, then the XCOM would have to take it back, discovering how much they were'nt told... Then a russian mission of a similar facility (kinda reminds me of a SG1 episode with that general idea, very good one Btw). :master:

Besides the mission types should definitely be more varied, TFD had a start with the artifact missions, but they looked more like a slightly different base mission...

Il like the idea of having to rescue interceptor pilots. (BTW, why are UFOs NEVER trying to close in the distance to shoot down our crafts... ).

I particularly ADORE the idea of sneaking into an alien craft/station orbiting earth (perhaps on a Lagrange point, so i't in stable orbit but not really close enought to notice on telescopes if you don't know where to look, or even cloaked...)

An alien (or even XCOM!) base on the moon would be real cool!! :happybanana:

The Raids missions (à la Apoc) for other nations (mercenary work?) would definitely add flavor, if not actual politics. I absolutely agree with that...

Or perhaps your base in a defecting country would be attacked by that nation's governement... poor bastards if they do it in the later stages of the game, but you might need to recover alive ALL of the ennemy soldiers if you want to win that country back... :devillaugh:

A kind of commando mission to prove a government is being manipulated, to win back public favor... As was said earlier, you might need prrof of the genetic manipulations, mind probes, etc :naughty:

A kind of mission where you have to decide if XCOM goes public or not, with lots of support but LOADS more alien attacks if you do (and planetary panick).

I like the "Rescue hostages" scenario a lot, it's not just a question of barging in with blaster launchers...

One or two ship at sea could be attacked, like in TFTD, ships are sitting ducks for UFOs, or maybe even Oil rigs... (No, Sergant, DO NOT use that grenade here...)

:explode:

Anyway, more mission kinds would be real fun.

Whatever you do, PLEASE leave the WWII theme out of the game, except for perhaps a mention or two in texts. It was overdone and repeated so many times and in so many recent gmes that it's cheesy to the extreme.

That said, the cold war could be an interesting thing to mention - again, don't turn this into James Bond VS the Big Bad Red Sectoids. I've watched a Russian documentary on TV today (with translated subtitles, ofcourse) about the several secret investigations that the Red Army made into the subject of UFOs in the 1980's. Now, I don't know how relaiable it is, and if is to be believed at all, but it's still a great source of inpiration for all things X-Com related. They talked about both superpowers trying to copy alien (plasma-based) technology during the last decade of the cold war, and the Rusian military concluding that UFOs were artificial (the UFOs described there had plasma shields/engines/weapons) after a very detailed investigation. They also blamed the USA trying to build a massive EMP projector in Alask as an anti-missile defence, but then again, it's not exactly accurate.

But a passing mention of cold war research in a few texts will be interesting - and will give the X-Force a history of sorts and depth.

Special missions yes, implicating specific countries or political groups from the real world, in my opinion, would be a definate no. This includes Nazis, the United States Republican party, ;) Yassar Arifat, anyone you in general dislike for political reasons is probably WAAAAAAAY too sensitive a target for a serious game. While I enjoy parodies like the one posted, some people are way too sensitive on these topics, (either due to support or suffering) and it's "unfair" to them to include such things.

Secret organisations who are politically neutral would be very cool to have. Special missions could also be an alien attempt to make a big step towards conquering the planet, (like the alien activity sites in TFTD) rescuing other, misguided agencies that have attempted to capture aliens for themselves, shutting down human organisations co-operating with the aliens, etc...

Special missions yes, implicating specific countries or political groups from the real world, in my opinion, would be a definate no. This includes Nazis, the United States Republican party, ;) Yassar Arifat, anyone you in general dislike for political reasons is probably WAAAAAAAY too sensitive a target for a serious game. While I enjoy parodies like the one posted, some people are way too sensitive on these topics, (either due to support or suffering) and it's "unfair" to them to include such things.

Secret organisations who are politically neutral would be very cool to have. Special missions could also be an alien attempt to make a big step towards conquering the planet, (like the alien activity sites in TFTD) rescuing other, misguided agencies that have attempted to capture aliens for themselves, shutting down human organisations co-operating with the aliens, etc...

I'm 100% with you on this... :beer: