XCOMUFO & Xenocide

The Music Is Gone

I've been playing TFTD through DosBox 0.60 with full sound effects and music but yesterday all of a sudden the music was gone. I tried setting up the sound settings again but I still don't get any music, only sfx. What could have happened???

Now the battlescape sound effects are gone as well... all I hear is the water sound. What's happening to my game??? :(

:LOL: That's kinda funny. Check your ufo directory with a virus scanner. Sounds like something is eating your files :)

Uh, I copied the sound directory from the copy on my old 486 and now the battlescape sounds work again but the music is still gone... :huh?:

I tried a virus scan but it was negative.

Does anyone know what all files are related to the music so I could better locate the problem?

They're all in the sound\ directory. sample.cat, sample2.cat, sample3.cat are the sound effect files. gm.cat, adlib.cat and roland.cat are the synthesiser music sequences for their respective soundcards. I think the soundblasters normally use the adlib.cat file.

Some things to check would be whether you've set up the game to use the right sound settings via its config program. What sort of soundcard does the dosbox emulate? Try and set the soundcard to its settings.

For music, does it slowly fade away or does it not go at all? The Dos version of the game uses the + and - keys on the numeric pad as volume control for the music. It might not work, but you could try fiddling with those.

- NKF

Thank you NKF! I knew that you'd be able to help! :D

I pressed a lot of + and back the music came ^_^

I had went through all the sound settings. The Dosbox emulates a standard sounblaster compatible soundcard with adlib and general MIDI support.