XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Issue #165: Gravity Distortion Launcher/Drone

tzuchan

Grumps....

This just won't let me go will it...

Anyway, got the blaster bomb bouncing around in my head for the past few days.

Here's the the CTDs for both the blaster bomb launcher as well as the blaster bomb...

BB launcher attached to this message

[Edit]New version here!

[Edit] Version 3 in RTF format up.

bblauncher_v3.rtf

Edited by tzuchan

I wouldn't mention the before and after researching a tech thing. I don't think we are designing them to change depending on what researches you have (a v1+ idea maybe). If they are designing it that way, then I've wasted at least an hour of time making my ctds make sense under any condition.

I wouldn't mention the before and after researching a tech thing. I don't think we are designing them to change depending on what researches you have (a v1+ idea maybe). If they are designing it that way, then I've wasted at least an hour of time making my ctds make sense under any condition.

You are correct, Ancalagon. Making the CTD make sense under any condition is the way to go, though you can assume the player has researched whatever prerequisites were required in the original game to reach the new tech.

I think the first line of the second paragraph needs a little clarification, and could read like this:

Agents in the field have observed rounds being fired by the aliens to be literally guided with precision unmatched by any earth based weaponary.

In the fourth paragraph, there still seems to be too much reference to psi strength. Perhaps you could change the explaination of user operation to something like "the launcher detects the general layout of it's surrounding within a given area and enables the user to plot up to nine waypoints through his helmet's HUD, which the rocket will follow with 98% precision." The not quite 100% precisionin this case, would be a good explaination for why the bombs go awry sometimes, instead of a lack of psi skill... just an example that came to mind.

Also, the word "rocket" is used a lot, in my opinion (18 times). Maybe half the time, you could drop it and just call it the "launcher" or drop it entirely. Or keep all of them. You asked for opinions :)

Ah, this is regarding the launcher ctd.

Edited by Micah

Hmm... Now that you mention it, that whole line seems abit wacko...

I seem to remember somewhere that the number of waypoints you could set in the game was going to be affected by the psi-strength...

Assuming we have researched psionic abilities yet, mental fatigue/strength was as good an idea I had for implementing that...

Anyway, changed it abit but am still using the mental control(i.e psi strength affected system) to guide the missle. However, I included a line that states that the user's reaction time also affects the missle accuracy...

Tell me what you guys think.

bblauncher_v2.txt

Fluff text would be nice.

For Example:

"The first time we saw these launchers, we laughed. Until they fired that is. One shot, and half of the team were dead, the rest wounded. And we were using Powered Armor! I'm looking foward to some payback with this launcher, lets see how the greys like it when we shoot them with it!" -Sgt. Grunt

The above is just an example that I came up with in 5 minutes, therefore I cannot vouch for quality :).

Edit: Also, you need an effectiveness/general use blurb at the top for the people who don't want to read the entire CTD. Otherwise mamutas won't be happy... :)

'

EX: The blaster launcher is the most powerful personal weapon available. It is also the most accurate due to the fact that users can guide the projectiles in a way similar to guiding a cruise missile.

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

Also, the word "rocket" is used a lot, in my opinion (18 times). Maybe half the time, you could drop it and just call it the "launcher" or drop it entirely. Or keep all of them. You asked for opinions :)

You probably shouldn't call it a "rocket" unless it's actually going to expell gas to move, since that is generraly considered to be the definition of a rocket. Not how it is called a "blaster bomb". Just thought I'd mention that.

You probably shouldn't call it a "rocket" unless it's actually going to expell gas to move, since that is generraly considered to be the definition of a rocket. Not how it is called a "blaster bomb". Just thought I'd mention that.

Err... My understanding of the difference between the two is that one is self propelled while the other isn't...

In paragraph 2, how about using this wording for clarity:

Field agents have observed these alien rounds manuever around obstacles with unmatched precision and agility. While the unusual design of the ammunition accounts for some of this, the launcher's guidance system provides an incredible level of fire control.

IMO the third paragraph should be scrapped, and the superconducting magnet part be moved to another spot.

Another thought, you ask at the end if the psi strength affecting ability be kept or dropped; I suggest dropping that, or explain that the technicians who first tested it couldn't reliably guide the weapon, but battle-hardened soldiers had the mental edge and combat sense to maintain control for up to 9 turns. The number of waypoints was not affected by the user's strength in the original, and we need to stick to the original's gameplay features for version 1. Later versions could explore that idea, it's a good one for game balance. But for this you could include the 98% accuracy saying that it's not perfect yet, etc.

• 3 months later...

I've edited the text to reflect the new name chosen by members.

The Fusion Implosion Rocket, commonly known as "Fusion-Bomb" is fired from the Fusion Bomb Launcher. It is a guided missile with a warhead that generates a mini-black hole and is capable of being guided in maneuvers currently unmatched by any earth-based missiles. It is the ultimate weapon in the alien's arsenal.

The Fusion Rocket is basically a Xenium-122 power source with devices to control the magnetic fields necessary for the direction of the gravity waves. The entire device is covered with alien alloy that protects the internal mechanism. Upon being ejected from the launcher through the use of super-conducting magnets, the gravity drive first negates the effect of gravity on the rocket, and then uses intense gravitic pulses to change directions. The rocket is capable of changing directions on a dime at speeds of up to 100 meters per second. The rocket can only withstand the forces required for this type of maneuvers by the use of alien alloys in its construction.

The bomb uses a proximity sensor and upon sensing that it is within 10mm of any surface, initiates the gravitic implosion. The Xenium-122 power source is specially designed to destabilize the Xenium-122. When this occurs, Xenium-122 decays quickly, and in the process of doing so, creates a miniature black hole that lasts for 1/100th of a second.

Having reverse engineered the alien rocket, we are now capable of producing it ourselves and face the alien threat with their own weapon of mass destruction.

The rocket can only withstand the forces required for this type of maneuvers by the use of alien alloys in its construction.
One of the major points of the xenium drive is that since it uses gravity to manuever, there is no stress produced from inertia. Thr rocket is basically in a freefall state, so the only force it has to contend with is air resistance. EDIT: I would change this sentance to: "Normally, the stresses caused by such quick manuevering would immediately cause the bomb to collapse, however, since the gravity propulsion literraly moves the bomb around in a freefall, the rocket suffers very little stress"

If you want you can also mention that because of the compressed air, there is an extremely powerful explosion, which uses everything caught in the implosion as shrapnel.

EDIT: Also gravitic is not a word. Use "gravitative". Either that or "gravitational". They are both adjectives but I am not exactly sure which one is appropriate to use in your situation. Help, anyone?

Edited by Ancalagon

"We were....shocked....when they fired them at us... I vote for that we bring portable nuclear rockets in battle. Just to calm the nerves a bit."

• 6 months later...

This is more of a comment on the general choice of name...

I know that due to popular accord, we should use Fusion instead of blaster bomb, but given that the name is rather irrevelant considering how the bomb actually works, may I ask if we are using Fusion as opposed to Gravitic/Gravitational due to nostagia?

I don't quite see how fusion(the release of energy from the forced combination of two molecules) makes sense when the bomb essentially works by generating an intense pulse of gravity that causes a short term blackhole, hence the "implosion"

Implosion

n.

A violent collapse inward, as of a highly evacuated glass vessel.

Violent compression.

The inward collapse of a building that is being demolished in a controlled fashion by the weakening and breaking of structural members by explosives.

Linguistics. The pronunciation of a stop consonant with the breath drawn in.

Alright, here's my attempt to fuse some of the feedback on the topic.

-----------

Blaster Bomb Launcher CTD

A key element of the alien arsenal is the "Gravity Field Fusion Launcher," a highly destructive variant of gravity propulsion systems engineered into a unique and devastating tactical device. Firing a special proton-charged, [scientific alien alloy name]-doped slug, the Fusion Launcher stands as one of the most destructive weapons available to alien footsoldiers.

Though the explosive force of a proton-charged slug is alone adequate for a long-range piece of artillery, the real threat here is gravity itself. Micro-fusion displacement triggered by the rapid dispersion of charged particles can "pull" gravity waves into a dimensional "well," where the nanoscale implosion of gravity matter releases a crushing shockwave of powerful energy, reversing the effects of gravity itself to literally flatten anything in the massive blast radius almost instantly. The entire process usually occurs in one-tenth of a second.

The sheer destructive force of this technology is staggering, though the Fusion Launcher has one more trick up its sleeve: onboard tactical mapping systems. Each slug is internally outfitted with a Xenium-electromagnetically-fluxuated charge, which encases the shell in a sort of magnetic sheath propelled by anti-matter gravity fluxes "programmed" in by navigation devices within the launcher, effectively allowing the fired rounds freeform velocity control. Before being launched, the user can enter a variety of "waypoints" using the same mental farcasting technology alien navigational systems appear to utilize. Adjusting its course in midair, the fusion bomb can alter its trajectory to follow the preset waypoints in the same manner UFOs do, navigating even the tightest turns with relative ease and respectable precision. The result is a deadly, fearsome weapon capable of eliminating distant targets with a good degree of accuracy.

The Fusion Launcher comes in three primary components: the launcher itself which weighs in at a hefty [decided weight here] pounds/kilos, the psionic farcasting headset device*, and the actual ammunition loaded into the weapon. Kept in the sealed chamber, the fusion missile is contained by a gravitational "force-field" before being launched. It is this magnetically-charged energy which "programs" the projectile with the farcasted waypoints, and accelerates it through the barrel at incredible speed using rail gun-like laser emitters. All this is achieved due to the internal Xenium battery's large power output. On impact, the gravity well spawned is capable of leveling entire buildings before canceling itself out. Preliminary testing indicated that the effect itself was similar to that of a black hole, the gravitational anomaly capable of sucking in everything to the slightest traces of light through the dimensional tear--however, when fire-tested, it turns out that the aliens had actually discovered a way to control the method which gravity's properties are controlled, therefore allowing the shell to turn the forces of gravity itself in on itself--effectively reversing the flow of energy on a target. Rather than being "pulled," anything in the blast radius is simply "pushed" away in a sudden, crushing explosion, ironically spawned by molecular implosion. The explosive force is quite terrifying, so much so it seems the aliens themselves share a kind of universal apprehensiveness about using the device too freely, and avoid using it anywhere within minimal safe distance. While the relative flux displacers cannot generate an energy field capable of, say, leveling entire cities, the weapon should be used with great care, nonetheless, as the blast radius on the field itself is quite unpredictable. Nothing the research division tested the effect on could stand up to the effects of the shockwave.

While no psionic skill is required to use the farcasting device, as with UFO navigation systems, the strain of automated mental projection units is quite difficult, taxing the mind and body to a considerable extent. Also, it's been discovered that trying to project an incredible amount of waypoints can have potentially dangerous side-effects on the mind, so Central Research has put an effective "cap" on the amount of waypoints a soldier in the field can plot at once. The farcaster will not allow more than nine waypoints to be plotted at a time, which should limit mental stress. Maxing waypoint projection every shot is generally not recommended, however.

Fusion Launchers can be reproduced using alien materials with some time and effort, and can be easily used by any soldier capable of carrying its immense weight. Long-range military applications of the technology outside of X-Corps are not recommended, due to its awesome destructive potential. Once field applications are initialized, it is not recommended to be used in highly populated, or otherwise urban areas, as well.

Fusion Bomb technology still has quite a long way to go, allowing X-Corps a broad range of technological opportunities. The highly capable Fusion Launcher is just the first step to discovering the secrets behind the more advanced alien technology.

--------------

And the file, for those who wish to alter it:

launcher_experiment.rtf

Note this is for supplimentary purposes. Any complaints will of course be regarded--so, have at thee!

edit--it appears that the psionic thing is being hotly debated. That can be altered as well with a simple technical alteration, if you guys wish.

Edited by The Master Maniac

• 11 months later...

Worked some on the text, split it up into weapon and ammunition...

GRAVITY DISTORTION LAUNCHER

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Weapons/Gravity Distortion Launcher

A key element of the alien arsenal is the Gravity Distortion Launcher (GDL), a highly destructive variant of gravity propulsion systems engineered into a unique and devastating tactical device. The GDL fires an agile, self-propelled drone carrying a warhead using Xenium as the source of power for propulsion as well as detonation. It is one of the most destructive weapons available to alien footsoldiers.

The Xenium "explosion" is actually a very complex quantum-physical reaction which we do not yet understand fully. The effect, though, is rather simple and comparable to "conventional" explosives in all but damage-to-payload ratio. The explosion is several times stronger and at the same time very localized, probably a side-effect of the gravity-influencing effects of Xenium.

The sheer destructive force of this technology is staggering, but the GDL has one more trick up its sleeve: onboard tactical mapping systems. Each drone can be programmed by navigation devices within the launcher, effectively allowing the fired rounds freeform velocity control. Before being launched, the user can enter a variety of "waypoints". Adjusting its course in midair, the drone can alter its trajectory to follow the preset waypoints in the same manner UFOs do, navigating even the tightest turns with relative ease and respectable precision. The result is a deadly, fearsome weapon capable of eliminating distant targets with a high degree of accuracy combined with an area effect larger than even that of our Satchel Charges.

Gravity Distortion Launchers can be reproduced using alien materials, and can be easily used by any soldier capable of carrying its immense weight. Long-range military applications of the technology outside of X-Corps are not recommended, due to its awesome destructive potential. Once field applications are initialized, it is not recommended to be used in highly populated, or otherwise urban areas, as well.

Gravity Distortion technology still has quite a long way to go, allowing X-Corps a broad range of technological opportunities. The highly capable Gravity Distortion Launcher is just the first step to discovering the secrets behind the more advanced alien technology.

GRAVITY DISTORTION DRONE

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Weapons/Gravity Distortion Drone

The Gravity Distortion Drone is an amazing piece of technology that may not look overly complicated, but upon closer examination turns out to be almost as complicated as an alien UFO. Although it can only be fired using the Gravity Distortion Launcher, it is a self-propelled drone. The internal systems use Xenium as the source of power for propulsion as well as detonation.

Loaded into the sealed chamber, the Gravity Distortion Drone (GDD) is activated before being launched. The propulsion system creates a self-contained gravity field around the drone, which is in turn altered by the systems of the Launcher. The Launcher programs the projectile's propulsion field with vectors calculated from the pre-selected waypoints and then releases it. The drone then passively follows its gravity field - at a speed of several hundred meters per second. The propulsion system's power is enough to allow the projectile to travel several hundred meters without a noticeable drop in destructive force.

While we do not know exactly what happens in the detonation, we have gained some insight from reports and recordings of battlefield as well as in-depth analysis of objects recovered from within the blast radius of Gravity Drone explosions. We theorize that upon impact, the gravity-creating reaction is de-stabilized, causing a chaotic force field that instantaneously affects an entire area around the point of origin. This effect is very disruptive on biological and inert material. In addition to that, there is a plasma explosion that probably occurs when part of the remaining Xenium disintegrates uncontrolledly, atomizing the Drone itself.

The combined destructive force is quite terrifying, so much so it seems the aliens themselves share a kind of universal apprehensiveness about using the device too freely, and avoid using it anywhere within minimal safe distance. While the observed blast radius has never exceeded a certain size, the weapon should be used with great care, nonetheless, as we don't know if the unleashed energies are capable of triggering quantum chain reactions on a large scale. Nothing the research division tested was completely able to resist the shockwave or contain the disruptive force effect.

blue for comments, orange for additions, red for deletions

DISTORTION DRONE

[...] The propulsion system creates a self-contained gravity field around the drone, which is in turn altered by the systems of the Launcher. The Launcher programs the projectile's propulsion field with vectors calculated from the pre-selected waypoints and then releases it. The drone then passively follows its gravity field [...]

Could you explain this a bit more? Because I don't understand how the drone can establish such a huge yet precise gravity field fromout the launcher, that it just has to follow it later.

The combined destructive force is quite terrifying, so much so it seems the aliens themselves share a kind of universal apprehensiveness about [...]

Edited by Mad

blue for  comments, orange for additions, red for deletions
DISTORTION DRONE

[...] The propulsion system creates a self-contained gravity field around the drone, which is in turn altered by the systems of the Launcher. The Launcher programs the projectile's propulsion field with vectors calculated from the pre-selected waypoints and then releases it. The drone then passively follows its gravity field [...]

Could you explain this a bit more? Because I don't understand how the drone can establish such a huge yet precise gravity field fromout the launcher, that it just has to follow it later.

okay, I didn't really explain it too well :) in my head, the thing works like this: the drone has a small xenium engine inside. it is used to create a localized gravity field. the launcher has some kind of mechansism which bends and folds the field into several layers inside each other, like an onion... the innermost field determines the drone's current local gravity at any given moment, and therefore its motion vector. since you can probably program nine waypoints, there are ten (9+1) layers (I didn't include the number in case this will be changed later, or perhaps not the same in every difficulty setting later). the drone "falls" in one direction until the innermost field is "used up" and dissipates, then in the next direction... the outermost field shields the vicinity of the drone from the effects of the localized gravity.

(don't get mad at me for bending physics to my will, but this is science-fiction, after all :D)

[... horriblehorrible bending of physics]

(don't get mad at me for bending physics to my will, but this is science-fiction, after all :D)

I don't know if I can possibly tolerate this! :P

Ok, your way it sounds more futuristic and defenitly is a real new idea, but why didn't you just used a simple FlashRom like system in the Drone which is programmed with the 3D flight vectors (wonderful, what an expression! :P ) while the drone is in the launcher? You could add something like "The Launcher modifies and shields the drone's gravity field resulting in both, high travel speed of the drone from the first moment it is launched and protection of the launching soldier, who might otherwise be harmed by the gravity field of the starting drone."

But, nevertheless, it's your CT, don't want to interfere with it, just my opinion, feel free to ignore it. :)

well, I did think about that, but I figured that this would make the Launcher itself kind of unnecessary... the Drone has the power source, the navigation system and everything, and all the Launcher does is program the FlashRom? Why would it be that big, then? So I thought, something needs to be invented that gives the Launcher a real purpose.

well, I did think about that, but I figured that this would make the Launcher itself kind of unnecessary... the Drone has the power source, the navigation system and everything, and all the Launcher does is program the FlashRom? Why would it be that big, then? So I thought, something needs to be invented that gives the Launcher a real purpose.

Why unnecessary? It protects the user... that’s not unnecessary... :)

No, but what about the targeting device? it has to be in the launcher. Somehow the user has to set the waypoints. Since he can set them wherever he wants (even on map areas he cannot see) this has to be a damn good piece of technology, 'cause you cannot explain it with PSI technology. And what's about the "starting" gravity field? I thought about sth. like a "virtual barrel" you know, the launcher projects a gravity field which accelerates the drone in the first meters before it starts it's own reactor. This is needed, to avoid accidents with malfunctioning drone reactors and to prevent the soldier from the drones gravity field. :) Actually I begin to really like this idea :D

next draft :)

A key element of the alien arsenal is the Gravity Distortion Launcher (GDL), a highly destructive variant of gravity propulsion systems engineered into a unique and devastating tactical device. The GDL fires an agile, self-propelled drone carrying a warhead using Xenium as the source of power for propulsion as well as detonation. It is one of the most destructive weapons available to alien footsoldiers.

The Xenium "explosion" is actually a very complex quantum-physical reaction which we do not yet understand fully. The effect, though, is rather simple and comparable to "conventional" explosives in all but damage-to-payload ratio. The explosion is several times stronger and at the same time very localized, probably a side-effect of the gravity-influencing effects of Xenium.

The sheer destructive force of this technology is staggering, but the GDL has one more trick up its sleeve: onboard tactical mapping systems. Each drone can be programmed by navigation devices within the launcher, effectively allowing the fired rounds freeform velocity control. Before being launched, the user can enter a variety of "waypoints". Adjusting its course in midair, the drone can alter its trajectory to follow the preset waypoints in the same manner UFOs do, navigating even the tightest turns with relative ease and respectable precision. The result is a deadly, fearsome weapon capable of eliminating distant targets with a high degree of accuracy combined with an area effect larger than even that of our Satchel Charges.

The Launcher itself is a highly complicated system which apparently does not program the drone electronically, but instead alters a gravity field created by the drone in such a way that the drone passively follows the preset course after its launch. At the same time, it uses part of the Drone's energy to create a containment field, shielding the user. We do not fully understand the principles behind this technology, but we are able to reproduce it, and we believe that we will be able to make adjustments allowing the application of this technology on a larger scale.

Thanks to an intuitive interface, this weapon can be easily used by any soldier capable of carrying its immense weight. Long-range military applications of the technology outside of X-Corps are not recommended, due to its awesome destructive potential. Once field applications are initialized, it is not recommended to be used in highly populated, or otherwise urban areas, as well.

Gravity Distortion technology still has quite a long way to go, allowing X-Corps a broad range of technological opportunities. The highly capable Gravity Distortion Launcher is just the first step to discovering the secrets behind the more advanced alien technology.

GRAVITY DISTORTION DRONE

The Gravity Distortion Drone is an amazing piece of technology that may not look overly complicated, but upon closer examination turns out to be almost as complicated as an alien UFO. Although it can only be fired using the Gravity Distortion Launcher, it is a self-propelled drone. The internal systems use Xenium as the source of power for propulsion as well as detonation.

Loaded into the sealed chamber, the Gravity Distortion Drone (GDD) is activated before being launched. The propulsion system creates a self-contained gravity field around the drone, which is in turn altered by the systems of the Launcher. The Launcher programs the projectile's propulsion field with vectors calculated from the pre-selected waypoints and then releases it. From the data we have been able to gather, it appears that the Launcher's systems fold the Drone's gravity field onto itself several times, creating layers of inward-directed spatial distortion effects. The Drone is directly influenced only by the innermost field at any given time, "falling" into the direction it dictates until the field dissipates. The next field then comes into effect, and the Drone "falls" in a new direction - at a speed of several hundred meters per second. When the Drone hits an object with large enough force, the engine also supplies the power for the detonation. The propulsion system's power is enough to allow the projectile to travel several hundred meters without a noticeable drop in destructive force.

While we do not know exactly what happens in the detonation, we have gained some insight from reports and recordings of battlefield as well as in-depth analysis of objects recovered from within the blast radius of Gravity Drone explosions. We theorize that upon impact, the gravity-creating reaction is de-stabilized, causing a chaotic force field that instantaneously affects an entire area around the point of origin. This effect is very disruptive on biological and inert material. In addition to that, there is a plasma explosion that probably occurs when part of the remaining Xenium disintegrates uncontrolledly, atomizing the Drone itself.

The combined destructive force is quite terrifying. It appears the aliens themselves share a kind of universal apprehensiveness about using the device too freely, and avoid using it anywhere within minimal safe distance. While the observed blast radius has never exceeded a certain size, the weapon should be used with great care, nonetheless, as we don't know if the unleashed energies are capable of triggering quantum chain reactions on a large scale. Nothing the research division tested was completely able to resist the shockwave or contain the disruptive force effect.

[...]creating layers of inward-directed spatial distortion effects[...]

Well, still not explainable with real world physics, but with so nice "techno-blabla" no one will get suspicious. Good solution! I like this one :)

• 4 weeks later...

had to re-write some parts and shuffle sentences between the texts to fix consistency issues... because you can of course research the two items separately, even without having found the other one. B)

A key element of the alien arsenal is the Gravity Distortion Launcher (GDL), a highly destructive variant of gravity propulsion systems engineered into a unique and devastating tactical device.  It is one of the most destructive weapons available to alien footsoldiers.

The sheer destructive force of this technology is staggering, but the GDL has one more trick up its sleeve: onboard tactical mapping systems. Each drone can be programmed by navigation devices within the launcher, effectively allowing the fired rounds freeform velocity control. Before being launched, the user can enter a variety of "waypoints". Adjusting its course in midair, the drone can alter its trajectory to follow the preset waypoints in the same manner UFOs do, navigating even the tightest turns with relative ease and respectable precision.The result is a deadly, fearsome weapon capable of eliminating distant targets with a high degree of accuracy combined with an area effect larger than even that of our Satchel Charges.

The Launcher is a highly complicated system which apparently does not program the drone electronically, but instead alters a gravity field created by the drone in such a way that the drone passively follows the preset course after its launch. The Launcher programs the projectile's propulsion field with vectors calculated from the pre-selected waypoints and then releases it. At the same time, it uses part of the Drone's energy to create a containment field, shielding the user. We do not fully understand the principles behind this technology, but we are able to reproduce it, and we believe that we will be able to make adjustments allowing the application of this technology on a larger scale.

Thanks to an intuitive interface, this weapon can be easily used by any soldier capable of carrying its immense weight. Long-range military applications of the technology outside of X-Corps are not recommended, due to its awesome destructive potential. Once field applications are initialized, it is not recommended to be used in highly populated, or otherwise urban areas, as well.

GRAVITY DISTORTION DRONE

The Gravity Distortion Drone is an amazing piece of technology that may not look overly complicated, but upon closer examination turns out to be almost as complicated as an alien UFO. Although it can only be fired using the Gravity Distortion Launcher, it is an agile, self-propelled drone carrying a warhead using Xenium as the source of power for propulsion as well as detonation.

Loaded into the launcher, the Gravity Distortion Drone (GDD) is activated before being launched. The drone's propulsion system creates a self-contained gravity field around the drone, which is in turn altered by the systems of the Launcher. From the data we have been able to gather, it appears that the Launcher's systems fold the Drone's gravity field onto itself several times, creating layers of inward-directed spatial distortion effects. The Drone is directly influenced only by the innermost field at any given time, "falling" into the direction it dictates until the field dissipates. The next field then comes into effect, and the Drone "falls" in a new direction - at a speed of several hundred meters per second. When the Drone hits an object with large enough force, the engine also supplies the power for the detonation. The propulsion system's power is enough to allow the projectile to travel several hundred meters without a noticeable drop in destructive force, indicating that the drone actually has more power than strictly necessary.

While we do not know exactly what happens in the detonation, we have gained some insight from reports and recordings of battlefield as well as in-depth analysis of objects recovered from within the blast radius of Gravity Drone explosions. We theorize that upon impact, the gravity-creating reaction is de-stabilized, causing a chaotic force field that instantaneously affects an entire area around the point of origin. This effect is very disruptive on biological and inert material. In addition to that, there is a plasma explosion that probably occurs when the engine core disintegrates uncontrolledly, atomizing the Drone itself.

The combined destructive force is quite terrifying. It appears the aliens themselves share a kind of universal apprehensiveness about using the device too freely, and avoid using it anywhere within minimal safe distance. While the observed blast radius has never exceeded a certain size, the weapon should be used with great care, nonetheless, as we don't know if the unleashed energies are capable of triggering quantum chain reactions on a large scale. Nothing the research division tested was completely able to resist the shockwave or contain the disruptive force effect.

• 1 month later...
At the same time, it uses part of the Drone's energy to create a containment field, shielding the user

What does this mean? protect the user from the explosion in case the bomb detonates near?

Also, do you want to write fluffs? this one is almost completed :)

What does this mean? protect the user from the explosion in case the bomb detonates near?

actually, I meant "shielding the user from the harmful gravitational effects created by the drone's propulsion system"

Also, do you want to write fluffs? this one is almost completed :)

can't think of a decent fluff right now... anyone have any ideas?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

minor rephrasing, added fluffs. finished?

A key element of the alien arsenal is the Gravity Distortion Launcher (GDL), a highly destructive variant of gravity propulsion technology engineered into a unique and devastating tactical device.  It is one of the most destructive weapons available to alien footsoldiers.

The sheer destructive force of this technology is staggering, but the GDL has one more trick up its sleeve: onboard tactical mapping systems. Each drone can be programmed by navigation devices within the launcher, effectively allowing the fired rounds freeform velocity control. Before being launched, the user can enter a variety of "waypoints". Adjusting its course in midair, the drone can alter its trajectory to follow the preset waypoints in the same manner UFOs do, navigating even the tightest turns with relative ease and respectable precision. The result is a deadly, fearsome weapon capable of eliminating distant targets with a high degree of accuracy combined with an area effect even larger than that of our Satchel Charges.

The Launcher is a highly complicated system which apparently does not program the drone electronically, but instead alters a gravity field created by the drone in such a way that the drone passively follows the preset course after its launch. The Launcher programs the projectile's propulsion field with vectors calculated from the pre-selected waypoints and then releases it. At the same time, it uses part of the Drone's energy to create a containment field, shielding the user from the harmful gravitational effects of the Drone's propulsion system. We do not fully understand the principles behind this technology, but we are able to reproduce it, and we believe that we will be able to make adjustments allowing the application of this technology on a larger scale.

Thanks to an intuitive interface, this weapon can be easily used by any soldier capable of carrying its immense weight. Long-range military applications of the technology outside of X-Corps are not recommended, due to its awesome destructive potential. Once field applications are initialized, it is not recommended to be used in highly populated urban areas or hazardous material zones.

"If this was a paintball weapon, everything would be red in a second"

- Rookie Dick Cricketwoods

GRAVITY DISTORTION DRONE

The Gravity Distortion Drone is an amazing piece of technology that may not look overly complicated, but upon closer examination turns out to be almost as complicated as an alien UFO. Although it can only be fired using the Gravity Distortion Launcher, it is an agile, self-propelled drone carrying a warhead using Xenium as the source of power for propulsion as well as detonation.

Loaded into the launcher, the Gravity Distortion Drone (GDD) is activated before being launched. The drone's propulsion system creates a self-contained gravity field around the drone, which is in turn altered by the systems of the Launcher. From the data we have been able to gather, it appears that the Launcher's systems fold the Drone's gravity field onto itself several times, creating layers of inward-directed spatial distortion effects. The Drone is directly influenced only by the innermost field at any given time, "falling" into the direction it dictates until the field dissipates. The next field then comes into effect, and the Drone "falls" in a new direction - at a speed of several hundred meters per second. When the Drone hits an object with large enough force, the engine also supplies the power for the detonation. The propulsion system's power is enough to allow the projectile to travel several hundred meters without a noticeable drop in destructive force, indicating that the drone actually has more power than strictly necessary.

While we do not know exactly what happens in the detonation, we have gained some insight from reports and recordings of battlefield as well as in-depth analysis of objects recovered from within the blast radius of Gravity Drone explosions. We theorize that upon impact, the gravity-creating reaction is de-stabilized, causing a chaotic force field that instantaneously affects an entire area around the point of origin. This effect is very disruptive on biological and inert material. In addition to that, there is a plasma explosion that probably occurs when the engine core disintegrates uncontrolledly, atomizing the Drone itself.

"It's like a pocket nuke... without the testicular cancer."

- Dr. S. Corch, Research Division

modifications

A key element of the alien arsenal is the Gravity Distortion Launcher (GDL), a highly destructive variant of gravity propulsion technology engineered into a unique and devastating tactical device.  It is one of the most powerful [repetition of "destructive"] weapons available to alien footsoldiers.

The Xenium "explosion" is actually a very complex quantum-physical reaction which we do not yet understand fully. The effect, though, is rather simple and comparable to "conventional" explosives in all but damage-to-payload ratio. The effect [repetition of "explosion"] is several times stronger and at the same time very localized, probably a byproduct [self-constructed repetition of "effect" :P ] of the gravity-influencing effects of Xenium.

The sheer destructive force of this technology is staggering, but the GDL has one more trick up its sleeve: onboard tactical mapping systems. Each drone's path of flight can be programmed by a navigation devices within the launcher, effectively allowing the bombardment of targets behind cover fired rounds freeform velocity control. Before being launched, the user can enter a variety of several "waypoints". Adjusting its course in midair, the drone can alter its trajectory to follow the preset waypoints in the same manner UFOs do, navigating even the tightest turns with relative apparent ease and respectable precision. The result is a deadly, fearsome weapon capable of eliminating distant targets with a high degree of accuracy combined with an area effect even larger than that of our Satchel Charges.

The Launcher is turned out to be a highly complicated system which apparently does not program the drone electronically, but instead alters a gravity field created by enveloping the drone. The field, which is created not by the Launcher, but by the Drone itself, is folded in such a way that the drone passively follows the preset course after its launch. The Launcher programs the projectile's propulsion field with vectors calculated from the pre-selected waypoints and then releases it. At the same time, it While the drone is being launched, the GDL uses part of the Drone's own energy to create a containment field, shielding the user from the harmful gravitational effects of the Drone's[repeated use] propulsion system. We do not fully understand the principles behind this technology, but we are able to reproduce it, and we believe that we will be able to make adjustments allowing the application of this technology on a larger scale.

Thanks to an intuitive interface, this weapon can be easily used by any soldier capable of carrying its immense weight. Long-range military applications of the technology outside of X-Corps are not recommended, due to its awesome destructive potential. Once field applications are initialized, it is not recommended to be used in highly populated urban areas or hazardous material zones.

"If this was a paintball weapon, everything would be red in a second"

- Rookie Dick Cricketwoods

GRAVITY DISTORTION DRONE

The Gravity Distortion Drone is an amazing piece of technology that may not look overly complicated, but upon closer examination turns out to be almost as complicated as an alien UFO. Although it can only be fired using the Gravity Distortion Launcher, it is an agile, self-propelled drone carrying a warhead using Xenium as the source of power powersource for propulsion as well as detonation.

While we do not know exactly what happens in the detonation, we have gained some insight from battlefield reports and recordings of battlefield as well as from in-depth analysis of objects recovered from within the blast radius of Gravity Drone explosions. We theorize that upon impact, the gravity-creating reaction is de-stabilized, causing initiating a chaotic force field that instantaneously affects an entire a limited area around the point of origin. This effect is very disruptive on biological and inert material. In additionto that, there is a plasma explosion that probably occurs when the engine core disintegrates uncontrolledly, atomizing the Drone itself.

The combined destructive force is quite terrifying. It appears the aliens themselves share a kind of universal apprehensiveness about using the device too freely, and avoid using it anywhere within minimal safe distance. While the observed blast radius has never exceeded a certain size, the weapon should be used with great care,nontheless , as considering we don't know if the unleashed energies are capable of triggering quantum chain reactions on a large scale. Nothing the research division tested was completely able to resist the shockwave or contain the disruptive force effect.

• 2 months later...

Looks great, Moriarty! =b

Only 3 things that need changing: "We" has to be changed to 3rd person, "uncontrolledly" to "uncontrollably," and "apprehensiveness" to "apprehension." The remainder are just suggestions- feel free to take what you like and ignore the rest. :P

EDIT- don't worry about the 3rd person stuff :P

GRAVITY DISTORTION DRONE

The Gravity Distortion Drone is an amazing piece of technology that may not look overly complicated, but upon closer examination turns out to be almost as complicated as an alien UFO. Although it can only be fired using the Gravity Distortion Launcher, it is an agile, self-propelled drone carrying a warhead using Xenium as the power source for propulsion as well as detonation.

Asty’s take: The Gravity Distortion Drone is a remarkable, deceptively simple piece of equipment.  Outwardly, its precision contours and gleaming finish belie the intricate technology within; the Gravity Distortion Drone is actually comparable to Alien UFOs in complexity. Although it can only be fired using the Gravity Distortion Launcher, it is an agile, self-propelled drone carrying a warhead using Xenium as the power source for propulsion as well as detonation.

Loaded into the launcher, the Gravity Distortion Drone (GDD) is activated before being launched prior to launching?. The drone's propulsion system creates generates? a self-contained gravity field around the drone, which is in turn altered by the systems of the Launcher …which is further manipulated by the launcher?. From the data we have been able to gather Need to change “we” to 3rd person- delete or change: From the existing research data?, it appears that the Launcher's systems fold the Drone's gravity field onto upon? itself several times, creating layers of inwardly-directed spatial distortion effects. The Drone is directly influenced only by the innermost field at any given time, "falling" into the direction it dictates until the field dissipates. The next field then comes into effect, and the Drone "falls" in a new direction - at a speed of several hundred meters per second The speed of sound is 340 m/s; be careful the GDD doesn’t cause sonic booms! :D. When the Drone hits strikes? an object with large enough sufficient? force, the engine also supplies the power for the detonation. The propulsion system's power is enough to allow the projectile to travel several hundred meters without a noticeable drop in destructive force, indicating that the drone actually has more power than strictly necessary Is this last sentence necessary?  The reasons are given in the next paragraph?

Lots of “we”’s need to be changed to 3rd person in the following paragraphs: 3 in the first paragraph and 1 in the second

While we do not know exactly what happens in the detonation, we have gained some insight from battlefield reports and recordings as well as from in-depth analysis of objects recovered from within the blast radius of Gravity Drone explosions. We theorize that upon impact, the gravity-creating reaction is destabilized, initiating a chaotic force field that instantaneously affects a limited area around the point of origin. This effect is very disruptive on biological and inert material. In addition, there is a plasma explosion that probably occurs when the engine core disintegrates uncontrolledly uncontrollably, atomizing the Drone itself.

The combined destructive force is quite terrifying. It appears the aliens themselves share a kind of universal apprehensiveness apprehension about using the device too freely, and avoid using it anywhere within minimal safe distance. While the observed blast radius has never exceeded a certain size …has always been consistent?, the weapon should be used with great care considering we don't know if the unleashed energies are capable of triggering quantum chain reactions on a large scale. Nothing the research division tested was completely able to resist the shockwave or contain the disruptive force effect.

hahahahahaha :)

Edited by Astyanax

Well, I didn't say you were wrong (although I never read sth. like it), but I don't see a reason to keep up that rule if it ever existed. As long as it stays formal. (!!!!) Edited by Mad