ART - Issue #104 - Raptor Model

Vaaish

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

its at an angle so you cant see them, ill show you a front pic, but the seams are on the sides where top and bottom connect on all. If you look at post 41 (though i changed some stuff since then) the seams will be where the greenlines are at. Edited by Darkhomb

can you post a render of the model instead of a screen capture? That will help me see how the seems come together better. THe greenlines obscure the seem and makes it harder to see how they match up.

post 43 has a render in it. you can see they dont line up that well..

Actually does it matter how it lines up? that just depends on where its placed in the 512x512 map. What should matter is where the seams are at and how visable it is correct?

Edited by Darkhomb

I think we will be safe... all the seams look like they are in places wecan fudge and overlap the texture on so they don't show up.

Number and location of seams is the big issue... everything else is just prioritizing and getting the map to use the greatest possible amount of space on the texture.

better? cant scale the main body much more

yes better... but remember that the top of the body is going to be looked at the closest followed by the jaw aera and the bottom of the mesh that is what should take the most space on the map... even if you have to scale everything else down to fit in teh remaining space.

Do you think I should detach the top of the head then to give it some better detail?

not particularly... its mainly an alloy so there isn't much detail except for in the eye area... what you have will be alright unless for some reason the edge of the alloy plates blurs when its textured.

I took your UV map and rearranged it in photoshop to give a better idea of how to give texture space to items. The power here is a little flaky cause of an ice storm so this is short.

uv4.jpg

Ok, that does look better. I was trying to fit both top and bottom the same though the bottom doesn't matter as much. and the feet are still giving me a problem, i spent hours to accomplish nothing. so whats the best way to do this, I delete one foot, uv the other one, then i mirror it and delete everything from the mirror except the other foot. then weld the 2 together and then place mirrored uv on top? Thats a long sentence....

Ok, that does look better. I was trying to fit both top and bottom the same though the bottom doesn't matter as much. and the feet are still giving me a problem, i spent hours to accomplish nothing. so whats the best way to do this, I delete one foot, uv the other one, then i mirror it and delete everything from the mirror except the other foot. then weld the 2 together and then place mirrored uv on top? Thats a long sentence....

The best method is to delete half the model mirroir the remaining half and weld the vertices... that should give you a mirror image of the UV's (will also take up less pace in theory since the uv coords are the same for both)

I sometimes find that keeping everything horizontal is alot easier to texture, especualy when making mechanical things...

So if you keep everything horizontaly/verticaly alligned it will much easier to texture it later, and it will save you alot of lost hair...

Here is the unrawp of the Armor...

Unrawp_Exp_.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

basically the object is to give as much texture space to the objects that will be viewed the most as possible and fill in the others. so while with a human shinzons layout works best, it might not work so well with the raptor.

personally I think you have a it much texture space for the feet, especially the bottoms. and too little on the jaws.

I think your arrangement is good. I'd only suggest scaling everything else down a little more so you can enlarge the topside of the body a bit more.

That should work pretty good... the underside really shouldn't need mch detail and we have pleanty of texture space to put detail in w/o it getting blurry everywhere else.

Uhh I'm getting seam crazy... I got rid of the bottom completly. Its almost one main body. Only seam is on the bottom can not be seen

Edited it to be the same size as other so you could compare easier.

full.jpg

Edited by Darkhomb

Well i mean the seams were in the front of the legs... so I didn't know if you wanted that.. I have every thing I ever did saved so I can go back to any place. Which is why I posted 3 diffrent versions of the UV in the last couple posts I want to know which seem better (no pun intended)

Ohh and its not hard to figure out, the front of the leg is the middle of the whole unwrap, as with the top middle is the top of the body and the end is the bottom...

Edited by Darkhomb