XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo2000 Beta Testing

Serge

Fomka, was my last comment helpful? Have you managed to compile ufo2000 win32 binary in linux? I mostly wonder if these proposed makefile changes work fine and do not cause regressions. If they are ok, then it makes sense to push them to SVN repository and make a new official beta release :)

PS. Maybe it is better to start using a mailing list for such development related discussions?

The comment was helpful. I have some problems with crosscompiler installation, though. Therefore I have not compiled the win32 binary yet and can't say anything about new revision.

The problem is that I do not receive g++ compiler, but do receive only gcc after installation. I'll ask questions about it when I have them. :)

About mailing lists: I've never used them, so I did not even think of using. The forum is fine for me.

Edited by Fomka

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is another pitfall with libbfd, it's a bit tricky and may require adding libbfd.a and some of the headers to the 'mingw-libs' directory (these can be taken from MinGW 3.1.0-1). The problem is that newer versions of mingw don't bundle a usable libbfd.a anymore.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions if any clarifications are needed :)

Could you please be more direct in that link? I cannot find anything libbfd related (and I've dug, trust me). As far as I can tell, this is my only issue trying to build a win32 binary.

src/exchndl/exchndl.c:49:17: warning: bfd.h: No such file or directory

I personally never used a mailing list either... may I ask why not start another thread instead if you're worried about the lengthy discussion about this? Other people (as in myself) might be interested in attempting this.

Edited by Kratos

There is another pitfall with libbfd, it's a bit tricky and may require adding libbfd.a and some of the headers to the 'mingw-libs' directory (these can be taken from MinGW 3.1.0-1). The problem is that newer versions of mingw don't bundle a usable libbfd.a anymore.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions if any clarifications are needed :)

Could you please be more direct in that link? I cannot find anything libbfd related (and I've dug, trust me). As far as I can tell, this is my only issue trying to build a win32 binary.

I have created a new mingw-libs archive which includes libbfd now: http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/mingw-libs-20100514.zip

Ok it works with your version. I haven't tested the actual binary itself, but it seems I built it successfully.

Fomka:

Sudo apt-get install g++

Also add the libraries serge posted in your ufo2000 build directory.

OK, thanks a lot for testing those preliminary builds. In order to keep the ball rolling, a new beta release of ufo2000 (0.9.1129) is finally out: http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net

There are still lots of things to add/improve and the next beta is scheduled to be released on the next weekend (23 May 2010) unless something extraordinary happens. This next beta will most likely include an update for the galactic weapon set: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242030655 (so if anybody has any opinion regarding this change, it is better to discuss it now before it is too late :) )

• 2 weeks later...

ufo2000 beta 0.9.1142 is available: http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net

Galactic weapon set update did not happen yet. Mostly because we got quite a number of problems reported against beta 0.9.1129 on the server statistics page just within the last few days. A good thing is that the bugs fixed in that version seem to have really vanished. Another good thing is that the crash reporter actually works, despite the compiler upgrade :) The new beta applies a bunch of new fixes which should improve reliability. Hopefully this housekeeping work will end soon, and we can start adding some real new features.

Regarding the galactic weapon set update. Nobody has commented in that thread yet, even though it seems to be used in about 8%of games (and it was ~13% a week ago). Well, it's a reminder that you still have a chance ;)

ufo2000 beta 0.9.1142 is available: http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net
There is no link to ?the 0.9.1142 installer on the main page.

The new beta applies a bunch of new fixes which should improve reliability.
I see that ?"Save/load using F2/F3 buttons is only permitted for hotseat games."in the 0.9.1142 release. Does it mean that it is impossible now to continue a network game when one player dropped due to some network or power problem? If yes, it is a drawback.

Consider that one match is about 1 hour long. Dropping at the end of victorious match in new version will make unlucky player angry (especially when old version has a possibility to continue playing after the drop).

Maybe availability of F3 can be made adjustable via ufo2000.ini? It is needed only in server lobby.

F2 is not necessary for network playing, game state is saved automatically for each match.

Having F3 available in the lobby and F2 turned off completely for network play

1. Will preserve the frequently used feature of continuing interrupted game.
  2. Will make "issue #0000566 ('Wrong map is loaded when starting the game : Triggers CRC')" less frequent. It can occur only if the opponent of disconnected player leaves the game too, starts a new one, leaves that new one too, meets the disconnected player in the lobby again and presses F3.

Regarding the galactic weapon set update. Nobody has commented in that thread yet...
I did not commented because its new version is fine for me. :)

The new beta applies a bunch of new fixes which should improve reliability.
I see that ?"Save/load using F2/F3 buttons is only permitted for hotseat games."in the 0.9.1142 release. Does it mean that it is impossible now to continue a network game when one player dropped due to some network or power problem? If yes, it is a drawback.

A short answer: it's a diffrent F3 key, so resuming network play still should be possible.

Now a longer answer.

Let's take a look at chess game as an example. Any position in the game can be saved and reconstructed later in at least two ways:

1. Just just write down the position of each piece on the board, that's it, Reconstruction is also straightforward - just put each piece in its right place.

2. Remember initial pieces placement (and this is even not necessary for chess, because all games start from the same state), then keep track of the log of all moves since the start of the game. Reconstruction is done by resetting the game to the initial state and replaying all the moves.

The resuming of an interrupted ufo2000 game by pressing F3 key in the server chat is done via method 2.

But ufo2000 engine also supports method 1, it is used mostly for debugging purposes and also the ability to remember the game state and restore it later is used for hotseat game implementation:

1 turn starts and the game remembers its state

2 the player does something and the sequence of his actions is rememebered

3. the player presses 'end turn' button

4. the game restores the state from the saved point, and replays the sequence of actions ('hidden movement' phase)

5. once the replay is done, repeat from step 1. but for another player

The big problem was that method 1 of saving/restoring the game state was also available in the network play by mistake, and binded to F2/F3 keys. If somebody uses this feature in a network game accidentally (or intentionally trying to cheat using something like save scumming), this leads to the game state synchronization problems. Due to the fact that the game state was reloaded only for one player, the players start to live in "alternative realities", it may become even that they use different maps. So the only right solution was to disable this F2/F3 saving/restoring (mis)feature for the network play, it was never intended to be there. Resuming the interrupted network game is done in a completely different way.

Well, that was the intention. But if you notice that anything got wrong with the new ufo2000 beta, don't hesitate to report bugs.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Here are a few bug reports from the game (please see the attachments). They are crc_error txt files...

Sorry for the late reply. That's a rather large class of problems with similar symptoms: http://ufo2000.net/mantisbt/view.php?id=250

This looks like a reproducible one, which can be addressed first: http://ufo2000.net/mantisbt/view.php?id=635

• 2 months later...

ufo2000 beta 0.9.1176 is available: http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net

Now the default server configuration has been finally changed to ufo2000.net:2000, which should enormously increase the chances for the new users to successfully connect the game server. All the libraries are updated to the recent versions for the windows build, which should make the game more compatible with modern versions of windows. Also some bugs got fixed.

Edited by Serge