XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Xenium-122

so what you're saying is that the xenium exists as long as the vehicle is moving, because it keeps regenerating, but disappears when it stops moving?

and once again, if this worked this way, where would the power come from to allow this kind of spacetime manipulation?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what you're saying is that the xenium exists as long as the vehicle is moving, because it keeps regenerating, but disappears when it stops moving?

no, then it would be stable, because the first step wouldn't be executed. It's not working from itself. You need to start the unfolding somehow. (short energy pulse, whatever)

and once again, if this worked this way, where would the power come from to allow this kind of spacetime manipulation?

And once again: from a black hole (these are known to fold spacetime - if you are speaking of "raum-zeit-kontinuum" (I don't know if spacetime is the apropriate word for this)). The only problem is the harvesting, but that is the Aliens secret.

I am getting lost, anyway, just remember that not every aspect of it needs to be written, there can be certain properties "we just don't know why it has them", or "we don't know how they work or why they do this and that", Human science cannot explain everything, you can leave certain aspects of Xenium be a mystery.

no, then it would be stable, because the first step wouldn't be executed. It's not working from itself. You need to start the unfolding somehow. (short energy pulse, whatever)

what? but as soon as the vehicle starts moving, the first step is executed, right? the xenium (or some of it, anyway) is de-stabilized, but regenerated as long as you keep moving, when you stop, it's gone. or do I understand your idea wrong?

anyway, I don't really like that idea :P

back to my little xenium inventory, did I miss an important property? so I can start putting my ideas to paper/screen.

Edited by Moriarty

what? but as soon as the vehicle starts moving, the first step is executed, right? the xenium (or some of it, anyway) is de-stabilized, but regenerated as long as you keep moving, when you stop, it's gone. or do I understand your idea wrong?

No, it won't deplete anyway. Maybe some day its not 'foldable' anymore, but normally it's not depleted. You initiate the unfolding -> spacetime is released -> Xenium refolds itself -> spacetime is absorbed -> you stabilize this form, and start from the beginning, or you don't stabilize it, and gain a huge amount of spacetime, while the , lets say outer hull of the crystal (which has been unfolded and refolded before) now destabilizes completely.

anyway, I don't really like that idea  :P

Well, there are always ignorant people around a genius... :P

back to my little Xenium inventory, did I miss an important property? so I can start putting my ideas to paper/screen.

I don't think so. :) Start working :whip: so I can tear your theories apart! :P

Edited by Mad

alright, you aked for it... I included my ideas about UFO propulsion, because it is so closely related.

(oh, btw, for those that don't know it and are prone to stumbling over it: "baryonic matter" is the physically correct name for everything that we know as matter: Protons, Neutrons, (free electrons are a different story), Atoms. it just sounds cooler.)

Xenium 122

X-Net://Pegasus.net/UFO Components/Xenium-122

Even before the Aliens' activities on our planet became an apparent threat it became obvious that the Aliens had access to a better source of power than that utilized by earth-based technologies. This gap in the basic structure of our understanding of alien technology has hindered our efforts to determine an appropriate counter or duplication for artifacts in the alien arsenal.

With the research of the strange, crystal-like glowing material we captured, we have gained insights not only in the power supply of UFOs, but also in a field of physics that was before deemed theoretical, if not utopic. After the study of captured UFO materials, we are finally able to answer some questions even if complete understanding remains elusive.

The "compound" making up the crystals mentioned above is in fact not "matter" at all. Instead, it can be more accurately described as folded or curled-up spacetime. Apparently, when folded in this manner, space-time becomes solid allowing it to be seen and touched. For simplicity of speech, we have dubbed this phenomenon Xenium-122. The name is derived from the greek "xenos", meaning "alien", and the numeral assigned denotes the number of experiments that were necessary to begin unlocking its secrets.

In most every-day respects it behaves like matter, but its real nature allows it to both supply power and allow the creation of anti-gravity waves so essential to the alien propulsion systems. In its most basic state, Xenium-122 forms a crystalline structure, similar to common crystals. These Xenium crystals emanate a strange orange glow, an iridescence that we have not yet been able to explain, and might be a result of the manufacturing process used by the extraterrestrials - if it is manufactured at all. Despite further research, we are unable to grasp even the basic concepts of how to synthesize Xenium. Unfortunately this places the control of Xenium firmly in the aliens’ hands for now. This monopoly must be broken if we are to win this war.

When Xenium-122 is stimulated in the correct way, which involves bombardment with coherent photons and baryonic matter in certain temporal patterns, almost as if to create a resonance, it begins to exhibit amazing properties. Apparently, the baryonic matter is converted directly into energy as per Albert Einstein's famous formula. Most of the energy is released in the form of superstrong magnetic fields, but some also escapes in different forms. At the same time, the amount of Xenium-122 decreases and spacetime around the reaction is bent or warped, resulting in gravity effects. We believe that in fact the "Xenium-space" expands and merges with the normal space around it, bending it in the process. As a result, the Xenium disappears, because it flattens out, leaving nothing behind. We have experimented with different frequency and intensity combinations of the particle beams, and found that the direction and strength of the resulting gravity can be finely adjusted by doing so. We believe that this is the way the UFOs achieve motion.

The magnetic fields created by the Xenium reaction described are the biggest problem that stands between us and creating a functional Xenium propulsion system. until we find a way to contain these destructive energies, we cannot think about installing a Xenium-based engine in one of our craft, because the intense fields would probably pull the armor plating inwards and fold the ship into a small ball of scrap metal.

One other property of Xenium 122 was discovered while researching particle bombardment testing. Certain particles used for bombardment in the absence of photon beams quasi-destabilized the Xenium samples. The resulting "activated Xenium" appears to be highly volatile when exposed to photon flashes later, sometimes creating an energized plasma in a self-created magnetic/gravitic containment field, almost like ball lightning. This may be the basis for the plasma weapons seen wielded by aliens in the field. Further research into this area of Xenium 122 usage is recommended.

“Proceeding with experiment number one hundred twenty-two. Material remains stable. No discernable change in alien material. Okay Carl, you can shut down the… wait a minute! Yuri, increase the power on fields one through thirteen… come on, come on! Jacobs, focus the camera at grid point sixty-seven. Damn it, Yuri! Tighten that field! Wait! NO! Don’t let it go! Amazing. Linus, get me that data. I want to know what just happened...

...oh, and Jacobs, inform the commander that experiment One-two-two was a success.”

-Research Lab internal audio recording

aaand, of course, my thoughts on the xenium engine:

first of all: we can't really call it xenium reactor, because knowledge about xenium is not required for research into the reactor (you only need to have captured the device). only way out of this would be to say that xenium was called xenium before we even knew anything about it, but where would we explain that? for now, I will call it "UFO Engine Core", but it may of course be changed later.

UFO Engine Core

X-Net://Pegasus.net/UFO Components/UFO Engine Core

Even in the first verified UFO sightings, it became obvious that these alien craft do not use conventional propulsion systems, but instead rely on some kind of gravitational effect. How exactly this effect is achieved had been a mystery. Until now. We in the science department believe we have uncovered the basis behind the UFOs' propulsion system.

The UFO Engine Core analyzed looks like a cylinder of some kind of semi-translucent material set into a base that is strongly integrated into the ship's structure. When we removed the translucent cylinder, which turned out to be some kind of outer cover, we found an almost solid block with three disc-like modules in vertically stacked slots, securely fastened in position by strong clamps. After we found out how to disengage the clamps, the discs could be easily removed and were revealed to be exactly identical in construction.

The base turned out to contain two small holding tanks with attached small particle-accelerators as well as a solid state laser, accompanied by control circuitry. One of the tanks turned out to contain a seemingly random mixture of normal baryonic matter, while the other contained a crystal-like substance we have dubbed Xenium for now, which has eluded our standard analysis methods so far. The particle and laser beams appear to be created in the base and then channeled upwards through the block containing the three discs.

The discs each contain a central chamber and three identical conduits, lined with magnetic coils, leading to it. It appears that the contents of the two holding tanks and the laser beam are guided to the central chamber, reacting there.

The reaction taking place inside could not be effectively studied by us, because a safety system prevents us from activating the UFO Engine Core without the cylindrical outer cover in place, which is completely opaque to all our scanning methods, defying all our attempts while silently glowing with an intensity proportional to the Engine Core's power level.

Whatever that reaction is, it is capable of creating a spatial distortion field. The field intensity can be adjusted, as can its size, although the shape of the field is limited to somewhat spheroid or ellipsoid areas. The volume of the field is inversely proportional to its intensity, at the same given energy level. The spatial distortion always has the same effect: gravity. This enables the UFO Engine Core to propel itself and/or a craft in any given direction. After the first few test runs, we also figured that guiding the reactants to the central chamber is only one of the functions of the magnetic coils lining the conduits. Once the reaction starts, they also appear to generate huge amounts of electricity, indicating the presence of intense and rapidly changing magnetic fields within the Engine Core. Interestingly, the outer cover appears to block them completely, for no magnetic flux was detected by our sensors during the Engine Core's activity. The electricity created in the reaction can be easily utilized to power other systems.

Thorugh a series of test runs we found that the operation of the UFO Engine Core is autonomously controlled by the built-in circuitry, almost completely preventing malfunctions. Investigation of the drive's functional properties also showed that most of the time, only two of the cores are active, with an overlapping rotation scheme that ensures that no core is subjected to an excessive amount of wear and tear. One active core, dubbed the "propulsion core" is always used to create the propulsion for the craft, while the other, called the "protection core" by us, is used to protect the content of he craft - namely, its passengers and fragile cargo - from the deleterious effect of inertia and propulsion combined. The built-in systems make sure that in case of failure of the propulsion core the third and previously inactive core takes over. In case of failure of the protection core, the propulsion core immediately shuts down until the inactive core is fueled up. By this, the safety of the passengers inside a UFO is always guaranteed, which may also be the reason behind the confirmed reports of uninjured Aliens in "crashed" UFOs.

With this modular set-up, there are two distinctly different modes of operation that the Xenium Drive is capable of.

The first is what we have dubbed "Falling Forward": The propulsion core creates a large field that encases the entire craft. In larger crafts, several UFO Engine Cores work together to create larger fields. The local gravity is directed so that the craft travels down the gravitational gradient toward the destination - it "falls" in the direction of travel. The protection core creates local gravity inside the craft that cancels the outer field's effect and pulls the crafts contents and passengers toward the floor with a comfortable 1g. In outer space, with no atmospheric friction, a craft can accelerate to enormous velocities using this mode of operation. Moving in this way is very fuel-effective; the large field volume, however, limits the field intensity so that no rapid directional changes are possible.

The Second is what we can only describe as "Hard Pull": The propulsion core creates a very small, high-density gravity field that does not exceed the physical size of the engine itself. This results in an enormous momentum applied directly to the engine, pulling the ship with it. The strain on the structural integrity of the engine hardpoints is excessive, and is probably the reason for the strong integration of the engine into the UFO structure. The small field, however, allows the engine to rapidly change direction, making combat maneuvers possible - while consuming significant amounts of fuel. The protection core is also heavily active, dampening the inertial effects and thus keeping the passengers from being mashed into bloody pulp.

Although the Xenium Reactor is a very effective and capable device, it is apparent that it is not capable of interstellar travel. It, just like all engines humans have developed, does not allow travel faster than the speed of light. This severely inhibits interstellar travel, implying that the aliens either originated from within our solar system, or that they have other propulsion systems. However, despite this information, it is still more effective than even the best human engines. It is the science department's belief that this technology should be used immediately to begin research and development of new human craft to combat the alien threat.

“Thank god we were smart enough to conduct the first experiments outside. Our entire attached computer system was almost fried just trying to control that thing. It’s like it was thinking, outsmarting our systems. Suddenly there was a power surge and the whole ground the thing was standing on jumped towards us. Bloody near killed us all." - David Williams, X-Corps Researcher

now for the rest, the fun part: using my ideas about xenium-catalyzed matter-to-energy transformation, further explanations could go like this:

- the aliens have more than enough xenium, so they just waste it

- if you don't draw the magnetic fields off to create electricity, but instead apply outside-powered magnetic fields (superconducting coils with high-energy capacitors), the reaction can be optimized to the point that the xenium actually replenishes itself, as a real catalyst does. or at least mostly replenishes itself, being used up much slower.

- with this, the GAIA base defence system, for example, could charge up the drones with base reactor power, using only traces of xenium for the drone's operation. the actual destructive effect is less of a gravitic disruption, but instead a large plasma discharge by conversion of lots of matter into energy

- the XCAP-AG also uses a very small XCorps-optimized xenium engine, which does not need to create huge amounts of electricity, instead adding a small secondary power source. the xenium is only used for anti-gravity propulsion of a small vehicle, and thus depletes its xenium veeery slowly.

- the same goes for plasma weapons developed by humans: through a clever trick, the xeniums catalytic properties are used without triggering the gravity-creating flattening of xenium-space. so the only thing plasma weapons need as ammunition is baryonic matter...duh :)

And since we are talking about the subject, the name will be Xenium Reactor, doesn't matter whether you have researched it or not, they have captured one, they know it operates on something they called Xenium, that's it, won't matter much the research. (you could even argue that they did find some Xenium in it, but left the detailed analisys for later, researching only the needed aspects).

alright, you aked for it... I included my ideas about UFO propulsion, because it is so closely related.[...]

Wow! You sure had some work with this! For the Xenium text, I would love a more detailed description of the magnetic effects and the effects magnetic fields have on the Xenium, making a scientific base for the research of the XCAP-AG reactor. Don't have the time to 'proofread' the hole text right now, but the xenium text reags nicely. :) I stumblede over some things in the reactor CT: You're using the "...-like" "similar to" etc. very often, this feels uncertain. I would fire scientists who are that unsure with the researched object, that they even cannot make a clear statement :P

Where does the energy for the particle accelerators come from before the reactor is started?

I love the explanation of the living Aliens in downed UFOs! :)

you could even argue that they did find some Xenium in it, but left the detailed analisys for later, researching only the needed aspects.

actually, if it is like in XCom, you will definitely find Xenium in it. there were 50 Units of Elerium in every single UFO Powers Source (those found in UFOs, anyway)

So I disappeared for a while and suddenly I see that quite a bit of discussion and work is being done with this entry...

One property we need in the inventory list is the ability to generate incredibly strong, but abnormally short-range gravity fields. Read the plasma texts for what little information there is about it.

you could even argue that they did find some Xenium in it, but left the detailed analisys for later, researching only the needed aspects.

actually, if it is like in XCom, you will definitely find Xenium in it. there were 50 Units of Elerium in every single UFO Powers Source (those found in UFOs, anyway)

But IIRC the amount was random, couldn't it be zero?

minor changes... come on people, rip it apart or show me my errors, but tell me what you think of it! please! :D

Xenium 122

Even before the Aliens' activities on our planet turned into an apparent threat it became obvious that the Aliens had access to a better source of power than that utilized by earth-based technologies. Until recently, we didn't know what it was. This gap in the basic structure of our understanding of alien technology has hindered our efforts to determine appropriate countermeasures against or methods of duplicating artifacts in the alien arsenal.

With the research of the strange, crystal-like glowing material we captured and  nicknamed "Xenium", we have gained insights not only in the power supply of UFOs, but also in a field of physics that was before deemed theoretical, if not utopic. After the study of captured UFO materials, we are finally able to answer some questions even if complete understanding remains elusive.

The "compound" making up the crystals mentioned above is in fact not "matter" at all. Instead, it can be more accurately described as folded or curled-up spacetime. Apparently, when folded in this manner, space-time becomes solid allowing it to be seen and touched. For simplicity of speech, we have chosen to keep the name Xenium-122 for this phenomenon. The name is derived from the greek "xenos", meaning "alien", and the numeral assigned denotes the number of experiments that were necessary to begin unlocking its secrets.

In most every-day respects it behaves like matter, but its real nature allows it to both supply power and allow the creation of gravity waves so essential to the alien propulsion systems. In its most basic state, Xenium-122 forms a crystalline structure, similar to common crystals. These Xenium crystals emanate a strange orange glow, an iridescence that we have not yet been able to explain, and might be a result of the manufacturing process used by the extraterrestrials - if it is manufactured at all. Despite further research, we are unable to grasp even the basic concepts of how to synthesize Xenium. Unfortunately this places the control of Xenium firmly in the aliens’ hands for now. This monopoly must be broken if we are to win this war.

When Xenium-122 is stimulated in the correct way, which involves bombardment with coherent photons and baryonic matter in certain temporal patterns, almost as if to create a resonance, it begins to exhibit amazing properties. Apparently, the baryonic matter is converted directly into energy as per Albert Einstein's famous formula. Most of the energy is released in the form of superstrong magnetic fields, but some also escapes in different forms. At the same time, the amount of Xenium-122 decreases and spacetime around the reaction is bent or warped, resulting in gravity effects. We believe that in fact the "Xenium-space" expands and merges with the normal space around it, bending it in the process. As a result, the Xenium disappears - the folded space flattens out, leaving literally nothing behind. We have experimented with different frequency and intensity combinations of the particle beams, and found that the direction and strength of the resulting gravity can be finely adjusted by doing so. We believe that this is the way the UFOs achieve motion.

The magnetic fields created by the Xenium reaction described are the biggest problem that stands between us and creating a functional Xenium propulsion system. until we find a way to contain these destructive energies, we cannot think about installing a Xenium-based engine in one of our craft, because the intense fields would probably pull the armor plating inwards and fold the ship into a small ball of scrap metal.

One other property of Xenium 122 was discovered while researching particle bombardment testing. Certain particles used for bombardment in the absence of photon beams quasi-destabilized the Xenium samples. The resulting "activated Xenium" appears to be highly volatile when exposed to photon flashes later, sometimes creating an energized plasma in a self-created magnetic/gravitic containment field, almost like ball lightning. This may be the basis for the plasma weapons seen wielded by aliens in the field. Further research into this area of Xenium 122 usage is recommended.

“Proceeding with experiment number one hundred twenty-two. Material remains stable. No discernable change in alien material. Okay Carl, you can shut down the… wait a minute! Yuri, increase the power on fields one through thirteen… come on, come on! Jacobs, focus the camera at grid point sixty-seven. Damn it, Yuri! Tighten that field! Wait! NO! Don’t let it go! Amazing. Linus, get me that data. I want to know what just happened...

...oh, and Jacobs, inform the commander that experiment one-two-two was a success.”

Xenium 122

[...]

In most every-day respects it behaves like matter, but its real nature allows it to both supply power and allow the creation of gravity waves so essential to the alien propulsion systems. In its most basic state, Xenium-122 forms a crystalline structure, similar to the macroscopic structure of common crystals. (I think, the molecualar structure will not have anything to do with crystals) These Xenium crystals emanate a strange orange glow, an iridescence that we have not yet been able to explain, and might be a result of the manufacturing process used by the extraterrestrials - if it is manufactured at all. Despite further research, we are unable to grasp even the basic concepts of how to synthesize Xenium. Unfortunately this places the control of Xenium firmly in the aliens’ hands for now. This monopoly must be broken if we are to win this war.

[...]

The magnetic fields created by the Xenium reaction described are the biggest problem that stands between us and creating a functional Xenium propulsion system. Until we find a way to contain these destructive energies, we cannot think about installing a Xenium-based engine in one of our craft, because the intense fields would probably pull the armor plating inwards and fold the ship into a small ball of scrap metal.

One other (maybe another?) property of Xenium 122 was discovered while researching particle bombardment testing (...while researches utilizing particle bombardement?). Certain particles used for bombardment in the absence of photon beams quasi-destabilized the Xenium samples. The resulting "activated Xenium" appears to be highly volatile when exposed to photon flashes later, sometimes creating an energized plasma in a self-created magnetic/gravitic containment field, almost like ball lightning. This may be the basis for the plasma weapons seen wielded by aliens in the field. Further research into this area of Xenium 122 usage is recommended.

[...]

I think this is a very good one. =b Just minor annotations.

good finds :)

corrected.

Xenium 122

Even before the Aliens' activities on our planet turned into an apparent threat it became obvious that the Aliens had access to a better source of power than that utilized by earth-based technologies. Until recently, we didn't know what it was. This gap in the basic structure of our understanding of alien technology has hindered our efforts to determine appropriate countermeasures against or methods of duplicating artifacts in the alien arsenal.

With the research of the strange, crystal-like glowing material we captured and  nicknamed "Xenium", we have gained insights not only in the power supply of UFOs, but also in a field of physics that was before deemed theoretical, if not utopic. After the study of captured UFO materials, we are finally able to answer some questions even if complete understanding remains elusive.

The "compound" making up the crystals mentioned above is in fact not "matter" at all. Instead, it can be more accurately described as folded or curled-up spacetime. Apparently, when folded in this manner, space-time becomes solid allowing it to be seen and touched. For simplicity of speech, we have chosen to keep the name Xenium-122 for this phenomenon. The name is derived from the greek "xenos", meaning "alien", and the numeral assigned denotes the number of experiments that were necessary to begin unlocking its secrets.

In most every-day respects it behaves like matter, but its real nature allows it to both supply power and allow the creation of gravity waves so essential to the alien propulsion systems. In its most basic state, Xenium-122 forms a crystalline structure, similar to the macroscopic structure of common crystals. These Xenium crystals emanate a strange orange glow, an iridescence that we have not yet been able to explain, and might be a result of the manufacturing process used by the extraterrestrials - if it is manufactured at all. Despite further research, we are unable to grasp even the basic concepts of how to synthesize Xenium. Unfortunately this places the control of Xenium firmly in the aliens’ hands for now. This monopoly must be broken if we are to win this war.

When Xenium-122 is stimulated in the correct way, which involves bombardment with coherent photons and baryonic matter in certain temporal patterns, almost as if to create a resonance, it begins to exhibit amazing properties. Apparently, the baryonic matter is converted directly into energy as per Albert Einstein's famous formula. Most of the energy is released in the form of superstrong magnetic fields, but some also escapes in different forms. At the same time, the amount of Xenium-122 decreases and spacetime around the reaction is bent or warped, resulting in gravity effects. We believe that in fact the "Xenium-space" expands and merges with the normal space around it, bending it in the process. As a result, the Xenium disappears - the folded space flattens out, leaving literally nothing behind. We have experimented with different frequency and intensity combinations of the particle beams, and found that the direction and strength of the resulting gravity can be finely adjusted by doing so. We believe that this is the way the UFOs achieve motion.

The magnetic fields created by the Xenium reaction described are the biggest problem that stands between us and creating a functional Xenium propulsion system. Until we find a way to contain these destructive energies, we cannot think about installing a Xenium-based engine in one of our craft, because the intense fields would probably pull the armor plating inwards and fold the ship into a small ball of scrap metal.

Another property of Xenium 122 was discovered early-on while trying to determine its molecular structure (before we knew it does not have one) using particle bombardment testing. Certain particles used for bombardment in the absence of photon beams quasi-destabilized the Xenium samples. The resulting "activated Xenium" appears to be highly volatile when exposed to photon flashes later, sometimes creating an energized plasma in a self-created magnetic/gravitic containment field, almost like ball lightning. This may be the basis for the plasma weapons seen wielded by aliens in the field. Further research into this area of Xenium 122 usage is recommended.

...oh, and Jacobs, inform the commander that experiment one-two-two was a success.”

Well, having skipped the first three pages, and merely looking at this last version of the text, I am mightily impressed. Although I cannot fathom how

space-time becomes solid
or
folded or curled-up spacetime
works, but I guess there is an answer?

Would it be feasible to go into a little more detail on this- ie clarify just why the scientists have discovered this?

Well, having skipped the first three pages, and merely looking at this last version of the text, I am mightily impressed.  Although I cannot fathom how
space-time becomes solid
or
folded or curled-up spacetime
works, but I guess there is an answer?

Actually, there is a real life theory that space-time can become solid under certain circumstands IIRC

Ah right.  LOL

I know little about space time under normal conditions, let alone under exceptional ones!

Anything you can provide on the subject would be welcomed, from my point of view  ^_^

Could take some time though, maybe I've sth for you tomorrow evening.

Ah right.  LOL

I know little about space time under normal conditions, let alone under exceptional ones!

Anything you can provide on the subject would be welcomed, from my point of view  ^_^

So, I found sth. There was a theory back in the 70s (but I couldn't find who had this theory, I'm sorry, noone knows, but a lot of people remember it, so I can not supply you with solid proof, you'll just have to trust me). A physicist said, that atoms themselves can be a source of spacetime. I agree, this is not exactly "solid" spacetime, but one could build our theory on this. Nevertheless, he came to this result by reinterpriting some of - I think - Einsteins formulas. The problem: it's highly controversial...

Well, you probably need a Sciam Subscription :P

Scientific American always has some interesting stuff. For example, the Higgs field. I think it can solve our problems :D

Read this page (ALL OF IT, don't give up :P), and you will get a nice idea of it. I can't really explain it in 1 post...

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/inquiring/question...vity_higgs.html

Guest Azrael
The text reads ok as it is. You can add it if you want, but if you want my opinion, don't. I suspect it will get complicated enough that we will have to eventually take out that part.

Well, you probably need a Sciam Subscription :P

Scientific American always has some interesting stuff. For example, the Higgs field. I think it can solve our problems :D

Read this page (ALL OF IT, don't give up :P), and you will get a nice idea of it. I can't really explain it in 1 post...

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/inquiring/question...vity_higgs.html

Hmm... I knew the Higgs-Boson theory, but I'm not that sure if we can use it here. I think I agree with Az. Mybe we should leave this out, since there are already enough people complaining... :)

I have to say I agree with Az in that the text shouldn't speak too much about the physics involved, because it would only lead to confusion.

just FYI: the idea of folded space-time is really not mine, I just adopted it. as you may or may not know, space-time is everything around us, although it is hard to visualize that space and time are so intimately related, since we only experience time as moving in one direction at a constant "speed" while moving freely (almost) through space. things become interesting when thinking about gravity, which is bent spacetime. it is quite possible to imagine bent space, using the old trick of reducing it to two dimensions for practical purposes: think of a rubber sheet bent by a large ball (=earth). smaller balls (=humans) are pulled toward it, because the larger ball makes a dent in the sheet. now imagine what happens if you just tie a knot in the sheet: anything rolling along (=moving through space) would hit the knot - just as if it was a real object. at the same time, if you imagine really really small balls (=sub-atomic particles) rolling toward and into the knot, they would surely exhibit some strange behaviour - being absorbed and emerging in totally different directions, perhaps being accelerated or slowed down... or pairs of particles being split because they hit an "edge" inside the knot... this would account for the weird physical properties of xenium. and if the "knot" unravels, it definitely creates some disturbance in the surrounding rubber sheet - gravity.

note that for simplicity's sake, I have left time out of it. in truth, everything that affects space also affects time. we just don't notice usually, because the effects aren't that huge. but time in a gravity field does pass differently than time in unbent space.

now if you know an easy way to put this in two sentences or less, so it still reads nicely in the xenium text, feel free to add it :D

P.S. actually, I don't think that many physicists would like these ideas, because it sounds awfully much like the old "ether" theories, postulating a medium everything is moving through which actually affects everything. ether wind, anyone? these theories have been proven wrong long ago, afaik. but when you look at modern theories which are moving from one-dimensional vibrating "strings" to multi-dimensional vibrating "branes" (as in "membrane") that make up all particles, this isn't that far out...

I'm sorry, but we will keep this version of Xenium.

All previous posts and drafts by Moriarty will be kept, as this was my mistake. I've read both texts and Denevive's version has everything that Moriarty's. I'm sorry for the trouble, Moriarty :( Not all my decisions are correct, but I try them to be, and the least I can do is apologise here.

-----------

Xenium 122

What powers the alien technology we’ve seen, and how does that power source relate to the apparent ability of alien craft to generate anti-gravity fields? This question has often plagued the scientists here in the research department. After the study of captured UFO materials, we are finally able to answer that question even if complete understanding remains elusive.

Research into the UFO power supply has revealed a synthetic material unlike anything ever before seen on Earth. Given the name Xenium 122, (as it was our 122nd experiment which rendered understanding of the material’s basic functions), this compound both supplies power and allows the creation of anti-gravity waves so essential to the alien propulsion systems.

Xenium is best described as a fold in space-time. When folded in this manner, space-time apparently becomes solid allowing it to be seen and touched. As the Xenium is utilized it shrinks. Once the Xenium is completely used up the fold in space-time “falls flat”, reverting space-time to its normal state and leaving no trace of Xenium’s existence behind. Despite constant research, we are unable to grasp even the basic concepts on how one would synthesize this substance. Unfortunately this places the control of Xenium firmly in the aliens’ hands for now. This monopoly must be broken if we are to win this war.

In its most basic, unrefined state Xenium 122 seems to clump together in a crystalline structure, similar to quartz crystals. These crystals emanate a strange orange glow, an iridescence that is completely unexplainable, and might be a result of the creation process used by the extraterrestrials.

When Xenium 122 is placed in a rotating magnetic field, it creates a field unlike anything humanity has seen. This field exhibits many properties, but its foremost ability seems to be that it can warp, and even nullify gravity. The rotating magnetic field acts as a “control field” manipulating the Xenium’s field like a steering wheel. Using a set of such fields, one can warp space and travel in the non-linear fashion required for practical space travel. While creating solely Xenium 122 based drive systems is unlikely at this time, the Xenocide science department heavily suggests research into the creation of system to manipulate this property of Xenium.

Another powerful property of Xenium 122 is its ability to give off a charge. This charge gathers at the magnetic poles of the field and can be drawn off to create a constant supply of electricity. The charge given off by Xenium is sufficient to keep the control field in place as well as power other systems.

Unfortunately waste particles, radioactive and otherwise, are given off during this process. In addition to the beta radiation, other nuclear particles are given off during this process. Protons are present but neutrinos in particular are emitted in large quantities. These particles must be caught, or vented, creating a dilemma when considering its use as a power source. With the proper system, Xenium creates a large power output, which is then used to power ship systems with the excess being stored in a battery. Waste particles are then captured in a containment system or vented into the air. It should be noted that the charge produced in this manner is tremendous, and we are unable as yet to create a battery that successfully stores the all the power output of Xenium. This proves to be more and more important, as Xenium itself is used up during the aforementioned processes. The use of Xenium must therefore be carefully monitored lest we completely use up this precious material on trivial matters.

One other property of Xenium 122 was discovered while researching particle bombardment testing. Certain catalysts used for bombardment destabilized the Xenium samples. This mixture of Xenium and catalyst particles would lead to the creation of energized plasma and may be the basis for the plasma weapons seen wielded by aliens in the field. Further research into this area of Xenium 122 usage is recommended.

“Proceeding with experiment number one hundred twenty-two. Material remains stable. No discernable change in alien material. Okay Carl, you can shut down the… wait a minute! Yuri, increase the power on fields one through thirteen… come on, come on! Jacobs, focus the camera at grid point sixty-seven. Damn it, Yuri! Tighten that field! Wait! NO! Don’t let it go! Amazing. Linus, get me that data. I want to know what just happened.”

Oh, and Jacobs, advise the commander that experiment One-twenty-two was a success.”

------------