XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Xenomorph Holding Facility

Yeah, well it's a slow day :zzzzz:

Anyway here's my draft for the alien containment.

---

Alien Containment Facility

Several times we have managed to recover a live alien specimen only to have it die within our care, either because of miscalculated enviromental conditions or during an attempted escape. It has become apparent that we need a new kind of prison; one that can effectively contain all kinds of lifeforms while being customizable enough to manipulate the internal enviroment for different species. To this end, we have designed the MK3 "Alkatraz" Containment Chamber.

Each Alkatraz chamber has 1m thick concrete walls that are reinforced with electromagnetic conductors and barriers that severely disrupt any form of known perception and can withstand several tons of force.

The advanced configuration of the enviromental control allows us to create any kind of atmosphere/pressure that we need. Usually the enviroment is modified in such a way, as to keep the specimen in a sedated condition. However, as a secondary security measure, we can modify it to become lethal.

The chamber also sports advanced automated security and surveylance measures that monitor the specimen within and have very delicate warning procedures, that trigger automaticaly over any sudden change in behaviour.

The Chamber doors are made from totaly secure materials and can only open with a combination of security measures. Three unauthorized tries for access or a breach in the chamber walls result in the instant termination of the contained specimen.

Finally, the cell provides a small backup generator system to power the security systems.

The Alient Containment Facility includes 10 Alkatraz chambers, as well as a surveilance room.

We feel confident that the aliens we capture in the field, will stay securely within our care.

---

Again stumped for flavor text. It's also a bit small because I was almost out of ideas. I'll probably think more stuff tomorrow.

Update : Added the "10"

Update : Current .rtf Version added

Alien_Containment_Facility.rtf

Edited by Historian

I always thought aliens were putten to some sort of "sleep" state at the containment. :huh?:

Anyways this looks like a good idea too! Fluff text is needed though..

I'd include that it can hold up to 10 specimens, and maybe looking at Vaaish's model pics will provide some inspiration. Some fluff text:

"Who says the X-Corps is uncivilized? Look, we have our own petting zoo for local field trips... and the kids can even tap on the glass! Yeah, right!" - Nathan Tomlinson, Director of Security and Alien Containment

The use of "Alcatraz" makes it sound like a brand name, it is afterall just a room with environmental controls, and security containment systems. The name should sound more cold and bleak, say just, MK III Alien Containment Facility.

The use of "Alcatraz" makes it sound like a brand name, it is afterall just a room with environmental controls, and security containment systems.  The name should sound more cold and bleak, say just, MK III Alien Containment Facility.

I dunno. I would like to keep it if possible, or at least replace it with another name. However I'm not digging my heels on this, if second'ed I'll change it.

Whatever, I'm not gonna lose sleep over this.

BTW saying MK III sounds good but it does prompt the question, What about MK I and MK II?

Whatever, I'm not gonna lose sleep over this.

BTW saying MK III sounds good but it does prompt the question, What about MK I and MK II?

MKI : Not enough enviromental customizarion - Specimens died within a few hours because of lack of natural breathing air

MKII : Fixed enviromental controls but cell wasn't secure enough. A Muton almost broke the door and a guard commited suicide under mysterious circumstances.

Edited by Historian

That sounds good, you can say the MkIII improved on previous designs which did not account for proper atmospheric conditions or provide effective containment for certain alien species. "Our Roswell facilities used the older MkI and MkII models, etc."

That sounds good, you can say the MkIII improved on previous designs which did not account for proper atmospheric conditions or provide effective containment for certain alien species. "Our Roswell facilities used the older MkI and MkII models, etc."

Actually, I was thinking of converting it into some kind of flavor text...hmmmm...

Ok, here's version 0.2

I've added a flavor text describing the experiences from the past two MKs (sorry Facehugger, no ideas for those you mentioned. I appreciate your comments though :Blush: )

Comment away

---

Alien Containment Facility

Several times we have managed to recover a live alien specimen only to have it die within our care, either because of miscalculated enviromental conditions or during an attempted escape. It has become apparent that we need a new kind of prison; one that can effectively contain all kinds of lifeforms while being customizable enough to manipulate the internal enviroment for different species.

To this end, we have designed the MK3 "Alkatraz" Containment Chamber which improved on previous designs that did not account for proper atmospheric conditions or provide effective containment for certain alien species.

Each Alkatraz chamber has 1m thick concrete walls that are reinforced with electromagnetic conductors and barriers that severely disrupt any form of known perception and can withstand several tons of force.

The advanced configuration of the enviromental control allows us to create any kind of atmosphere/pressure that we need. Usually the enviroment is modified in such a way, as to keep the specimen in a sedated condition. However, as a secondary security measure, we can modify it to become lethal.

The chamber also sports advanced automated security and surveylance measures that monitor the specimen within and have very delicate warning procedures, that trigger automaticaly over any sudden change in behaviour.

The airlock-style doors are made from totaly secure materials and can only open with a combination of security measures. Three unauthorized tries for access or a breach in the chamber walls result in the instant termination of the contained specimen.

Finally, the cell provides a small backup generator system to power the security systems.

The Alient Containment Facility includes 10 Alkatraz chambers, as well as a surveilance room.

We feel confident that the aliens we capture in the field, will stay securely within our care.

"What happened to the two previous designs? Well, after 4 aliens had slowly suffocated in their cells we started to get the hint. We scrapped the MKI, studied some alien physiology and installed some pretty smart enviromental manipulators, to make them feel at home and all...

Well, it proved a bit too confortable it seems. I heard Heinzer's hair went white when the cell door flew out of it's hinges, 10 minutes after a Muton woke up and I personally saw two guards commit suicide in front of my eyes before I caught on. I swear I saw the bastard grinning...before I planted a bullet between his all-knowing eyes that is.

Yeah, I guess you can say that the two previous designs were...lacking" - Yohan Jarlsdottir, Director of Security and Alien Containment.

Edited by Historian

I personally like the Alkatraz nickname, it sounds good.

As a variant on your fluff text...

"So you ask what happened to the MK1 and 2 containment chambers? Well a couple of mutons destroyed a base, an ethereal mind controlled the entire base, and the chrystallid managed to turn the guards into raving killer mutants, but besides that we just needed to change the paint on the walls." ~~~Yohan Jarlsdottir, Director of Security and Alien Containment.

These fluff texts can't be used. In the beginning of the game we can make alien containment even though WE HAVEN'T SEEN ANY ALIENS YET. So how can we say those earlier versions had aliens in them? We have to come up with something else..

Btw.. Aliens are walking around the earth without any gear (or do you see some kind of helmet on their head in missions?) so why do they need "special atmosphere" in alien containment then?

These fluff texts can't be used. In the beginning of the game we can make alien containment even though WE HAVEN'T SEEN ANY ALIENS YET. So how can we say those earlier versions had aliens in them? We have to come up with something else..

Btw.. Aliens are walking around the earth without any gear (or do you see some kind of helmet on their head in missions?) so why do they need "special atmosphere" in alien containment then?

As others mentioned, there were surely many secret goverment agencies. Who's to say they didn't succeed in capturing one? It's very possible the x-corps uses knowledge gained from them and even some of their agents.

As for the atmosphere, they may be able to breathe it, but they could still be hindered by different pressure, lower concentration of specific gases or just lack of steady supply of special enzymes.

I think that adding the other versions adds to a more coherent, realistic universe. Also, the idea of xcorp using information from other government agencies is a good idea. Could there be room for a men in black story? Maybe a history of Alien Resistance article in the xnet that you start with?

Well why can't x-corps use their research too? Why bother to research those aliens again if they've been researched already by "some" government (read: usa, area 51) If they give the information about alien containment, they surely give the other info too..?!

I agree with stewart, it should be named "mk1" that way we can implement in the future new feature! Have some alien containment riots or aliens passing away to their chambers because of environmental problems and you can research newer versions mk2 and mk3..

That's X-Corps, like /The Marine Corps/ as opposed to /Microsoft Corp/..

Everything has to have a Mk I at some time, and it sure saves have to write a lot of crap.

Everything has to have a Mk I at some time, and it sure saves have to write a lot of crap.

Now that's not very nice is it? I already wrote that "crap" <_<

Nyperdoid: The goverment agencies probably didn't even fave a fraction of the funding X-Corps receives. Their research most likely was limited to very basic stuff, or they just didn't have time to do much research at all (faulty alien containment chambers can do that)

It's all fiction anyway guys. We can very well make things happen OUR way. I just think that having an MK3 after two failed attempts is cooler

It could be a little bit cooler but think about it. You have to explain all that..

"The goverment agencies probably didn't even fave a fraction of the funding X-Corps receives. Their research most likely was limited to very basic stuff, or they just didn't have time to do much research at all (faulty alien containment chambers can do that)"

..too because otherwise people will think like I'm thinking. If they have had those aliens already, why am I researching them. I prefer the mk1 solution and would keep those mk2 and mk3 in mind for the future versions..

Well, let them wonder. It could be left in the fluid space of vague possibilities. :wink:

They'll make their own theories I'm sure :)

Well, let them wonder. It could be left in the fluid space of vague possibilities.  :wink:

They'll make their own theories I'm sure :)

LOL, so we can't change it? you have made up your mind so why do you even bother to ask opinions about it if you are not gonna change it? :D

I doesn't bother me really, I like it that way too. A bit senseless because of this mk3 thingy but good anyways. It WOULD make it even better if you'd change it but it's good this way too.. :ugh:

Edited by Nyyperoid

LOL, so we can't change it? you have made up your mind so why do you even bother to ask opinions about it if you are not gonna change it?  :D

You can certainly change my opinion. It's just that I think I've given sufficient explanation on the MK3 topic and I'm just not convinced with the counterpoint. As I see it, it's just taste. Others like me will like it better as it is, while others, like you or stewart, will prefer an MKI version. It's elementary (dear Holmes) really and since there is no undeniable opposition why shouldn't I keep what I think is best? ^_^

IMO, Stewart should change this topic to poll to get the better option...

We're bickering over, MK III. Should I start bickering over Alcatraz now. I really don't like the use of it but I'm not interested in getting into anything over it. Let's quit bickering over nit picky stuff folks.

We're bickering over, MK III.  Should I start bickering over Alcatraz now.  I really don't like the use of it but I'm not interested in getting into anything over it.  Let's quit bickering over nit picky stuff folks.

Ok, like I said before, I like it as it is.

And consider this everyone: these texts are going to be stored in a txt format for the game to use, if you don't like something because you prefer a different name, just edit the txt file and you're set. I'd be more concerned with blatantly wrong data, or something that just doesn't make any sense at all.

We can say Roswell's MkI didn't provide sufficient enviro controls, and their specimen died, thus the autopsy videos and all that. The MkII can simply be the single captive version, but now that the alien threat is so big, the MkIII can hold up to 10, and has additional automation controls, etc. The MkII never saw use, we never caught another alien after Roswell. How does that sound to everyone? As for Alcatraz, make it the nickname one of the operators or designers gave it, and you're done there.

:beer:

Just to clarify someting.

Alcatraz is the name of the containment mechanism not of the facility. The facility is named "Alien Containment" and provides 10 Alcatraz :)

Gotta go, more later :)

And consider this everyone: these texts are going to be stored in a txt format for the game to use, if you don't like something because you prefer a different name, just edit the txt file and you're set.

Oh thank God then I can ditch Ammonite right away. :wink:

Actually that a really nice way to get around the potential copyright issues. On your personal game if you want Avalanche Missiles just edit the file.

I thought the term was Cells BTW.

The XML system being developed to access the text will call a text file for each entry, so if you wish to change an alien name your best bet is to Replace All in each doc that mentions it. In Windows you can search the text folder for files containing the word, then you can open each result. There might be batch text editors that can do this on multiple files at once, but I'm unaware of it.

Ok, cool. It will be nice to have everything called the right names =) I bet that there will be mods for this game just to change the names. Will that be a legal worry for us though? There are mods like Galactic Conquest that use the Star Wars name, and distribute the game for free. So would it be legal for us to use the x-com name? Could we designate this game a mod for the engine or something and be able to use the x-com name without getting sued?

hey! don't hijack my thread! :spank:

come on! back on topic. chop chop! I want to hear more critisism on this thing. Anything else you think should be changed or should I complile the .rtf version? :huh?:

Ok, cool. It will be nice to have everything called the right names =) I bet that there will be mods for this game just to change the names. Will that be a legal worry for us though? There are mods like Galactic Conquest that use the Star Wars name, and distribute the game for free. So would it be legal for us to use the x-com name? Could we designate this game a mod for the engine or something and be able to use the x-com name without getting sued?

There's no problem if the game is distributed without copyright infringement. What a person does on their own machine is their business. I should think in the Xenocide disclaimer the standard /distribute in original form only/ text will be included.

Anyway back to the original topic.

Alcatraz :puke:

BTW who's visited Alcatraz prison; I have. In the movie the place seemed so big but when you step inside and throughout the blockhouse I was struck by how small the place is.

To tell the truth, I too am not extremely fond of "Alcatraz". However I'd like the concept to have a nickname. I just chose Alcatraz because it was a famous prison. Any other thoughts?

I uploaded the current version of the Alien Containment as an .rtf in the first post. I will update that with each change I make so anyone can check it out.

Bruenor as soon as you think there is nothing more to be changed you can pick that up for the Asset List.

Cheers! :beer:

To tell the truth, I too am not extremely fond of "Alcatraz". However I'd like the concept to have a nickname. I just chose Alcatraz because it was a famous prison. Any other thoughts?

Maybe give it an technical sounding name but add some text saying the the staff nicknames it that.

Other names:

Nelson Mandela prison what was that called.

And the one that is the setting of Papillon I forget the naem of that one too.

Updated asset list with rtf file.

Other nicknames:

Mechanical Straightjacket

Crypt

Fridge

Iron Maiden

Anyone know of nicknames given to other famous prisons, like the Tower of London or something similar?

Here's some more

Lockdown

Closet

[Witout Escape]-or (Anyone know any other single-word for this except Inescapable)

Impenetrable

Sedator

Vastille

Fortress

Barrier

Some of these are fit for nicknames given by the guards and some are fit for alias given by the scientists that designed it. I'd like to go with the alias, but I just can't think of something else appropriate.

Edited by Historian

How about "The Zoo"? You know, pay five bucks, watch a sectoid jump around a cage, take pictures, throw some eggs and stun bombs at it. It'd be fun. ^_^

Also:

The Martian preserve

Alien wildlife park

The X-Corps petting zoo

"THE CAGE" :rock:

The Jello ring (maybe I don't want to see ethereals in swimwear...) :puke:

Rookie shooting range (rubber bullets, of course :D )

And last, but not least...

X-Corps experimental drug research facility

I hope no PETA people here are offended... ^_^

• 1 year later...

ALIEN CONTAINMENT FACILITY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Alien Containment Facility

Initial observations of Alien creatures conducted by military operatives point to the fact that these beings possess very different physiologies among themselves, and very different from ours as well. Standard brigs are highly inadequate to maintain the extraterrestrials alive. It has become apparent that we need a new kind of prison; one that can effectively contain all kinds of life forms while being able to manipulate the internal environment.

To this end, we have designed the MK III "Alkatraz" Containment Chamber which improved on previous designs that did not account for proper atmospheric conditions or provide effective containment for certain Alien species.

Each Alkatraz chamber has 0.5m thick concrete walls that are reinforced with electromagnetic conductors and barriers that severely disrupt any form of known perception and can withstand several tons of force.

The advanced configuration of the environmental control allows us to create any kind of atmosphere/pressure that we need. Usually the environment is modified in such a way as to keep the specimen in a sedated condition. We can, however, modify it to become lethal, as a security measure.

The chamber also sports advanced automated security and surveillance measures that monitor the specimen within and have very delicate warning procedures that are triggered automatically over any sudden change in behavior.

The airlock-style doors are made from totally secure materials and can only open with a combination of codes and keycards. Three unauthorized tries for access or a breach in the chamber walls result in the instant termination of the contained specimen and activation of base alarms.

Finally, the cell is equipped with a small backup generator system to power the security systems.

The Alien Containment Facility includes 10 Alkatraz chambers, as well as a surveillance room.

We feel confident that the Aliens we capture in the field will stay securely within our care.

"What happened to the two previous designs? Well, after 4 Aliens had slowly suffocated in their cells we started to get the hint. We scrapped the MK I, studied some Alien physiology and installed some pretty smart environmental manipulators, to make them feel at home and all...

Well, it proved a bit too comfortable it seems. The Research Department at the Roswell base was totally wrecked when their captive woke up and I personally saw two guards commit suicide in front of my eyes before I caught on. The bastard was still grinning when I blew his brains out.

Obviously the MK II needed some heavy security adjustments...and a new paint job, that’s when I came here." - Yohan Jarlsdottir, former Director of Security and Alien Containment of Roswell base.

• 4 months later...

Red-deletions, Green-additions, Blue-suggestions or comments

ALIEN CONTAINMENT FACILITY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Alien Containment Facility

Initial observations of Alien creatures conducted by military operatives point to the fact that these beings possess very different physiologies among themselves, and very different from ours as well. Standard brigs are highly inadequate to maintain the extraterrestrials alive. It has become apparent that we need a new kind of prison; one that can effectively contain all many kinds of life forms while being able to manipulate the internal environment of each cell.

To this end, we have designed the MK III "Alkatraz" Alien Containment Facility Chamber which improved on previous designs that did not account for proper atmospheric conditions or provide effective containment for certain Alien species.

Each "Alkatraz" chamber has 0.5m thick concrete walls that are reinforced with electromagnetic conductors insulators and barriers that severely disrupt any form of known perception and can withstand several tons of force.

The advanced configuration of the environmental control allows us to create any kind of atmosphere/pressure that we need. Usually the environment is modified usually in such a way as to keep the specimen in a sedated condition. We can, however, modify it to become lethal, as a security measure.

The chamber also sports advanced automated security and surveillance measures that monitor the specimens within and have very delicate warning procedures that are triggered automatically over any sudden change in behavior.

The airlock-style doors are made from totally secure materials and can only open with a combination of codes and keycards. Three unauthorized tries for access or a breach in the chamber walls result in the instant termination of the contained specimen and activation of base alarms.

Finally, the cell is equipped with a small backup generator system to power the security systems.

The Alien Containment Facility includes 10 "Alkatraz" chambers, as well as a surveillance room.

We feel confident that the Aliens we capture in the field will stay securely within our care.

"What happened to the two previous designs? Well, after 4 Aliens had slowly suffocated in their cells we started to get the hint. We scrapped the MK I, studied some Alien physiology and installed some pretty smart environmental manipulators, to make them feel at home and all...

Well, it proved a bit too comfortable it seems. The Research Department at the Roswell base was totally wrecked when their captive woke up and I personally saw two guards commit suicide in front of my eyes before I caught on. The bastard was still grinning when I blew his brains out.

Obviously the MK II needed some heavy security adjustments...and a new paint job, that’s when I came here." - Yohan Jarlsdottir, former Director of Security and Alien Containment of Roswell base.

Changes in blue, comments in green, highlights in purple. All instances of “Alkatraz” have been changed to “Alcatraz”, and all names have been changed to “Xenomorph Holding Facility”.

XENOMORPH HOLDING FACILITY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Xenomorph Holding Facility

Initial observations of Alien creatures conducted by military operatives point to the fact that these beings possess highly divergent physiologies amongst themselves, each drastically different from ours. Standard brigs were particularly inadequate for sustaining extraterrestrial life, and it quickly became apparent that we needed a new kind of prison; one that could effectively contain and maintain a variety of life forms indefinitely. To this end, the first of the "Alcatraz" series of containment facilities was constructed. The MK III "Alcatraz" Xenomorph Holding Facility has been designed to improve upon previous designs that failed to provide proper atmospheric conditions or effective containment for certain Alien species.

Tweaked a few things in the paragraph to be more specific or dynamic: “very different” --> “highly divergent”, “and very different” --> “each drastically”, “highly inadequate” --> “particularly inadequate” (grammatically ok, but highly is “positive” while “inadequate” is negative- it sounds weird), combined sentences 2 and 3, “It has become” --> “it quickly became”, “need” --> “needed”, “can” --> “could”, “contain all kinds of life forms” --> “contain and maintain a variety of life forms” (to transition to the following paragraphs) and deleted the last part of the sentence (because the rest of the text will explain things in greater detail), added “indefinitely” to make the text sound a little more ominous. Added a sentence (To this end, the first of the "Alcatraz" series...) because the original text's logic didn't hold. "To this end" implies the first attempt: the MKIII was not the first attempt to contain and maintain aliens lifeforms- the MKI was. The MKIII was made to address the failures of previous designs (it's difficult to explain, but I can elaborate if people want me to). More tweaks: “which improved on” --> “to improve upon” (fixed grammar), “that did not account for” --> “failed to provide”.

Each "Alcatraz" chamber is surrounded by 0.5m thick concrete walls that are reinforced with electromagnetic conductors and barriers that severely disrupt any form of known perception and can withstand several tons of force. The cutting-edge environmental controls can accommodate a wide range of atmospheric factors. Although the environment is generally adjusted to keep the specimen in a sedated condition, we can, as a security measure, modify it to become lethal. The facility also sports advanced automated security and surveillance measures that monitor the specimens within and have very sensitive warning thresholds that are triggered automatically over any sudden change in status. The airlock-style doors are made from secure materials and will only open with the correct combination of codes and keycards. Three unauthorized tries for access or a breach in the chamber walls result in the instant termination of the contained specimen and activation of base alarms. Finally, the cell is equipped with a small backup generator system to power the security systems.

The first purple-highlighted text is a little weird. Are the electromagnetic conductors used as a sort of electrified fence? If so, change “electromagnetic” to “electrical” and “reinforced” to “laced”. Are they used to create the sensory disruption? If so, change “conductors” to “transmitters” and “reinforce” to “embedded”. Are they used to strengthen the walls? If so, change “conductors” to “systems” and “reinforced” to “augmented”. Even after all this, the player might wonder why such a potent system isn’t mounted on X-Corps craft to reinforce their hulls- it’s a really powerful device. I’d suggest deleting it altogether, and maybe adding a line mentioning the sensory disruption.

Each "Alcatraz" chamber is surrounded by 0.5m thick reinforced concrete walls embedded with thousands of electromagnetic transmitters to disrupt sensory perception.

Tweaked a lot of the remaining sentences. Combined sentences 3 and 4 to improve the flow. The second purple-highlighted text (“Three unauthorized tries…”) might be too much information. Also, it doesn’t make logical sense- if the specimen is terminated, then base alarms are unnecessary. Although the sentence can be reworded, I suggest deleting it.

The Xenomorph Holding Facility includes 10 "Alcatraz" chambers as well as a surveillance room. We feel confident that the Aliens we capture in the field will stay securely within our care.

"What happened to the two previous designs? Well, after four Aliens had slowly suffocated in their cells we started to get the hint. We scrapped the MK I, studied some Alien physiology and installed some pretty smart environmental manipulators, to make them feel at home and all...

Obviously the MK II needed some heavy security adjustments...and a new paint job, that’s when I came here." - Yohan Jarlsdottir, former Director of Security and Xenomorph Incarceration of Roswell base.

Small numbers are typically written out (one, two, three, etc.).

Edited by Astyanax

Guest Azrael
All instances of “Alkatraz” have been changed to “Alcatraz”

Hmm, Alkatraz is the name of the containment module, why change it to Alcatraz?

Um, I don't really understand why you'd want to intentionally misspell the name of a reference without a reason... :huh?: What I'm concerned about is people focusing more on the misspelling than on the reason why it's referenced. They might even think that we didn't know how to spell it- it kind of defeats the purpose of making the allusion. Then again, I'm biased; I have a very sharp eye for misspellings and almost compulsively prefer them to be fixed. Edited by Astyanax