XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcom Sound Setup Hang

vajra

Hi,

I am trying to get sound working on my xcom apoc under dos or win98

the problem I have is thst the setup program hangs with a blank screen.

I need to set up the sound so if anyone knows a way around thiss (i have googled...)

maybe someone could run setup and make a config file for sound blaster irq 5 220 dma 1 blah and get it to me, that would probably work....

thanks... :)

The setup hangs even in DOS mode? Strange, does it hang right away or when you try to autodetect settings?

You can try this sound.cfg file (in the SOUND folder).

edit: can't upload 'cfg' type files, I'll rename it to a .TXT file then, just change it back to .CFG once you put it in place.

SOUND.TXT

Edited by j'ordos

The setup hangs even in DOS mode? Strange, does it hang right away or when you try to autodetect settings?

You can try this sound.cfg file (in the SOUND folder).

edit: can't upload 'cfg' type files, I'll rename it to a .TXT file then, just change it back to .CFG once you put it in place.

Thanks for that! I'll post the results if it worked.

To answer your question I fiddled a bit, the setup program doesn't hang like I thought, it just gives a blank screen and exits after two presses of the return key. That is the only action I can get from it. I have tried renaming .cfg file, editing it with a hex editor (trial and error!) and other even crazier things - no joy!

Maybe my setup program is corrupted.

I have tried this under dos 622 and win98 and various memm settings etc but always the same.

All my other dos games work fine with sound setup as sound blaster. XCOM 3 works fine with no sound.

Anyway I will try with the config you provided.

Again many thanks.

:)

Just an update,

That config file you posted works fine, I now can listen to my squads get spread all over the scenery by poppers!

Thanks!

Weird about the setup program though....

Right, back to my little people.