XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Hey What About The Aliens

Guest stewart

Guest stewart

I see tons of ideas that make the X-Corps day a little easier. Let's hear some stuff that helps the bugs out.

Like say the terrorship sticks around and provides covering fire. Or make the alien AI good enough to design THEIR bases with choke points with intelligent initial alien placement to repel invaders and so on.

What about giving aliens better Stats :P :P :P

LOL....hmmm...isntand of just improveing their weaponry with the BL, and the army with the ethernal, They SHOULD get other stuff too, like explosive ammo for small launcher.

Smart Spider mines:

Little smart bombs that runs towards any humans within a certain range and detonates itself.

Can be researched, but CANNOT be used by humans because recognition system is too advanced and only targets humans.

Smart Spider mines:

Little smart bombs that runs towards any humans within a certain range and detonates itself.

Can be researched, but CANNOT be used by humans because recognition system is too advanced and only targets humans.

Good idea, but this weapon may unbalance game, think on a multiplayer game where one player controls aliens, only throwing lots of that weapon at the beginning the battle is win.

Maybe with poisonous/somniferous gas, but not explosive. Too dangerous.

And what about hand-to-hand weapons, like tentacles, horns, spines, blades, etc like tentaculat and calcinite on TFTD.

Smart Spider mines:

It could be used in multiplayer :devilsmile:

How about blankets to toss on top of the light sticks during nighttime missions? :devillaugh: Poison gas grenades would be very nice, especially during terror raids for killing civs. Best part, even if it's researched, it's a toxin native to alien worlds, and it has no effect on them.

More booby traps perhaps?

*Laser-triggered explosives could be used to cover hallways and other chokepoints.

*Cluster mines, one mine explodes, then leaves several smaller mines spread out over an area.

*Spikes that shoot out of walls, impaling whoever stands too close to the wall. This could be controlled by the defending player :P .

*Squish traps, either from the roof or from the walls.

*More and different types of sentry guns. Laser, machine gun, greanade launcher.

*Gas noozles that lets out different types of gases, stun gas, poison gas, panic gas (for getting the troops to panic, heh). Another thing that can controlled by the player.

*Fall traps, unsteady floor that drops the player down onto the next floor, or in a acid pit :P (maybe too harsh).

*Wind trap, not deadly (unless combined with a wall with spikes :P) just used to push people back and making progress harder. The wind would also affect any gas in the area and making fire burn in the winds direction.

*Guard dogs?

*Mined guard dogs?

*Ability to control the lightning level in the rooms and hallways, would make troops harder to see and would definatly spice up defending your base against other players.

All these things can be build into your base and to some extent be controlled by the player. These are just some quick ideas fo now will add more in a later post.

Ohhh, the BUGS should have some help. Ok, then just put all of my ideas into their bases and ships for some nasty suprises.

Some mo' stuff for the green and mean:

*Clone beam. Use by one alien to clone nearby aliens. Used for surprise rushes.

*Healing beam. Heals all aliens in an area.

*Feign death. Playing possum, could be damn sweet :D .

*Make sure that the aliens have more defensive stuff inside their ships. It was always too easy to take a ship. See above post.

*Camoflauge. Make the alien be able to imitate the civilians appearence, or put cheastbusters (like in Alien) inside the civilians.

*Make the aliens more brave.

*Suicide bombs. If an alien feels that it can be captured it can detonate a selfexplosive device.

X-COM could have equipment that neutrilise the bombs.

*Maybe the aliens should be able to call an airstrike on the crashsite to destory X-COMs' chances of acquering their techology? Or maybe call in backup via another ship?

*Aliens that expel diffrent types of gases. Stun gas, poison gas... These gases could be expelled at will or when they die.

These things should help the aliens chances a little, don't you think?

More help:

*Burrowing. Aliens that can burrow (dig) into the earth, dirt, sand and do suprise attacks when the X-COM agents comes too close.

*Teleportation. Don't remember, maybe some aliens had this skill in the original game.

*Aliens that secrets sticky stuff (think gluelike) that slows X-COM agents down.

Two more boobytraps:

*Trenches that X-COM agents have to jump over, losing action points.

*Electrifiable floors and wall. Gives agents electrical shocks, causing them to lose health and can destroy sensitive equipment.

Aliens should have weapons in the outher hull of the UFOs, and if they landed, they could fire them at you...of cause, the guns can be destroyed.

:idea:

What about aliens are able to take of, on a landed ship, lets say, after 15 rounds, and if atleast 1 navigator is alive, awake, and next to the control screen. It could be another attack onboard, like in air, and even if you win, you will still die if you have not researched alien navigation. If you do not manege to get inside, the ship could take off. This option would only happen, if you have so many points, that they start to fear you

• 3 weeks later...
:whatwhat: Otherwise a good idea but, they would always leave before you get a soldier IN the ufo, exspecially because the navigation room is always the last room you can get into and there would be a navigator waiting that others die... then leave.

Or think about this.. 3 times in a row you manage to stun ethereal commander/leader or sectoid leader IN ufo, you have lost all but 1 of your troops and you feel like a king because you have finally done it. Then the navigator decides to take off and leave.. :hammer: It would suck so much that I would stop playing that game <_>

If this feature ever is implimented, it only makes sense that the Navigator is unable to abort the mission and leave while X-Com operatives are aboard ship, since you do possess the capability to stop him/it, or even hijack the UFO. I personally do not like the idea of alien cowardice. It gives them a human aspect, shows weakness, that they are every bit as prone to panic and surrender as we. In otherwords, it strays from the feel, demeanor and experience of the original. Seeing as we want to present the aliens as a fearful, and fearless opponent, in such a manner that "retreat" doesn't exist in their language, nevermind vocabulary, this would obviously be unacceptable.

What about combining features of the spider bomb (starcraft!) with the proximity grenade? Do regular prox grendaes go off if you walk a soldier past it currently?

Alien prox grenade is only triggered to detonate when non-alien unit walks into range, and only if there isn't an alien unit close enough to be hurt. So aliens could drop them when moving around to cover their rear flank. Would be really nasty in a terror site, civs will walk up and be blasted. As a counter, you can shoot the grenade to detonate it. The aliens could have some remote transmitter that emits a jamming signal, so when they get close enough the signal disables the grenade. Whether it's something humans could use... probably after finding and researching it. You can't jam enemy grenades though, the signal is different every time so you can't duplicate it.

As to aliens never retreating or being fearless, I remember aliens panicking all the time when the rest of their crew were dead and my team was closing in. If they weren't shot down, I could see the ship leaving if a navigator AND leader/commander were in the ship. If it were just the navigator, how whould they be sure everyone is shot and dead? Except for telepaths, they wouldn't. And you could say it takes about 1 minute for the ship's engines to start up and the computer to set everything for takeoff, which gives you 15 turns after that decision is made. So the alien realizes it couldn't take off if it wanted to, its leader is dead, so it panics and hides hoping you'll leave.

The alien races have an average Bravery rating of 91.

An X-Com rookie has an average Bravery rating of 30 to begin with (min of 10 max of 60).

Relatively speaking, the aliens are very much fearless, and will only panic provided the battle is but a couple of downed green men from victory for X-Com.

Concerning the tense, frightening atmosphere we'd like to generate in Xenocide (or most people would), we must maintain the "hunted" mentality; a mindset of vulnerability, uncertainty and terror. Having our so-called dreaded, terrifying opponent abort missions is entirely contradictory to that intent. Overall I find allowing the aliens to retreat is a bothersome, unnecessary, and gameplay destroying feature that should not be applied.

If a Navigator was truely unaware about the fate of his comrades, why does his Morale decrease in synchronicity with each alien death, both in and out of his field of vision? Obviously he must of known what had happened to his crewmates, lest he remain fully composed and psychologically fit. There is not a single alien race in X-Com devoid of neural cybernetic implants. It is via this technology that the aliens communicate, just as X-Com operatives communicate using radio systems. When an alien dies, it's implant is likely to relay either a signal symbolizing such, or the other aliens simply will not register any brain activity, obviously meaning their colleague has fallen in combat.

Very good/thourough explanation. And here I thought they were just hearing all the death cries... :D

Maybe the mentality is like humans and dogs? We think we're smarter than they are, but freak out when there's a half dozen trying to kill you.

danm, if we adding some things from SC... might as well include the damn SIEGE MODE for the tanks, regular ones anyway, makes em a bit more useful... for those who havent played StarCraft before ( SHAME ON YOU!! GO GET IT!!!! DIRT CHEAP!! AND STILL A HECK OF A LOT OF FUN!!!! ESPECIALLY IN MULTI) siege mode is for the Human's Tank, It stays in place but does 2X damage, longer range, plus SPLASH damage.

IMO the tanks in xcom are a little underpowered. They could move pretty good, but they were not as useful as 4 soldiers. In particular, the armor was really weak. I've had tanks drop after 2 hits, which is sad. If the tank were tougher and could survive running into a couple aliens, it would be worth it IMO.

Why aren't there any mortars in XCom? Imagine a weapon doing damage as big as a rocket launcher, but being able to shoot at any location of the map without straight line of sight. Sort of parabolic traectory. You could put one of such mortars next to your ship and shoot all the aliens from that location.

Too powerful and unbalanced? Then lets make it very unprecise, like 50/50 chance of hitting target in the explosion area. Or, the aliens can have something like that too. I don't think I have ever seen them using blaster launchers (umm, that is alien tech, right?).

Hmm, strange that no-one has thought about mortars before, but it seems to be a good idea. Making it unprecise sounds about right too, but can't we make it gradually more accurate if you try to hit the same place multiple times?

Well, how many squares were in the original battlescape? Even if the battlescape grows in size, those squares are 1 meter across. Wouldn't a mortar typically fire from hunders of meters away? Perhaps a heavy rifle with the grenade launcher on it? Forget what it's called, is it a 203? :whatwhat: But that could fire a grenade pretty well in current battlescapes. Edited by Breunor

Yes I believe that weapon is called the M203...that would be an awesome weapon to add to the game...then maybe in one of the later version it can be modified so that instead of it shooting bullets/grenade it can shoot Laser/Alien Grenade or maybe even Plasma/Explosive...NICE...I'm drooling just thinking about it!!!

yes its called the M203... the RPG is attached to the M16A2 Service Rifle becoming a M203. Also can be attached to the M4A1.

i think this would make the game completly unbalanced, even with less accuracy, i could just have my troops all have the weapon and hide behind something (after sending out a scout) and just lob grenades/mortars to my hearts content. i used the blasters for this reason at the end of my game... had 6 blasters pumping them out like crazy...

ok, this topic was for aliens, so here goes....

Better AI for one thing.

A few new weapons, such as a PSI defender makes them immune to PSI attacks...but increases their PSI abilities.

Shields for the aliens... makes one or two shots completely useless, even 2 blasters! also this shield would be invisible until you hit it for the first time, i suggest adding this later in the game to make it a little harder and compete against the humans new techs.

Camoflauge Armor, makes them invisible on screen. Humans get a detector of sorts to counter.

Maybe Snakemen can have ability to replicate in battle! just like it says in the UFOpedia

Can repair their cyberdisk/sectopods...or they can do it themselves.. requirements of TU depends on how much repair it needs.

more to come when i have time to think...

What if the M203 didn't shoot a grenade much further than you could throw one, the main benefit is you don't have to swap weapons. Instead of priming the grenade, you 'pump' the weapon to load the next cartridge. It explodes immediately when it hits, but the blast is not as large as a regular grenade. To keep it from being overpowered, you don't allow laser or plasma versions, so you're stuck with old tech. I agree it would be hard to balance it, you could do more without much of a penalty. Perhaps the aliens get this type of tech, combining the plasma with the alien grenade prior to the blaster coming out? Would be funny to see a sectoid with a weapon bigger than it is.

• 1 year later...

Alien scouts are not there to fight, they are there to reconnoiter. Of course they will egress from a fight because they need to get there equipment and knowledge back to the mothership. How do you steal one of these ships then? You use stealth weapons and troops to sneak close to the ship and breach it before it can fully take off. You could also kill a couple guys so they have to dispose of the equipment(don't want you replicating it).

Mutons will only retreat if they are in a bad position. If they are experiencing heavy losses they might ask for backup or decide to bug-out to prevent lossing a Battleship or Terror ship to X-COM.

Also, your pilots, with Alien Navigation, should be able to go into the navigation room and pilot the ship. Combat Engineers would be required to start up the Xenium reactors and monitor them.

Imagine the tactics with large ships then, you use most of your squad to distract the soldiers. THe rest, with a couple pilots and engineers, enter the less full ship and try to get airborne. Of course some dudes would have to be killed, but imagine the shock when the Mutons see their Battleship leave then X-COM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In general bullets should not be as easy to detect path of fire as plasma and laser. Source of fire can be determined by muzzle flash for humans, unless shells are silenced. Also, aliens would have Recoiless Rifles(I know that is a term for artillery of some types, but still) that fire advanced Alien Alloy projectiles. They would be usefull in situations the aliens do not have firepower superiority but could get a stealth advanatage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Aliens should have Small Alien Grenade launchers attached to their rifles(making rifles more importaant again). This would justify humans having underbarrel grenade launchers as well.

• 1 year later...
Aliens should have Small Alien Grenade launchers attached to their rifles(making rifles more importaant again). This would justify humans having underbarrel grenade launchers as well.

If you do that, no one on either side will ever have any incentive to use thrown grenades ever again. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe thrown grenades should be going the way of the crossbow in real life, too.

• 3 months later...

And what about....maybe i'm crazy...Exosuit? A cybernetic power booster with places for attachable weapons (max 2 or 3). And researching some better types of armour, targeting systems increasing accuracy of fire....it's my dream

yeah, i'am crazy :)

Edited by Blue.Shark

The US government is developing smart bullets that can turn in middair. I say smart plasma for the aliens.

They already have BBombs, and making a functioning machine out of pure plasma could be difficult.

And before you know it it will be a mechwarrior game instead of xcom.

No no...you don't understood me :) . By exosuit i mean only a heavy armor which has weight...250 kg B) and human cannot carry it without any power boosters. Something like heavy armor in UFO: Aftermath, but modificated by cyber things (servo-motors, targeting systems, etc.).

• 2 months later...

since you sugested that aliens have spike tentacles ect. for close comat why not have the exosuit as an armer and a close combat weapon? :)

it add strength wen wearing but wen you tak it off depending on how long you wor it you tose stength cos ther was a machine holding things for you maybe aliens could have an exo suit like this too? or am i speaking s***? :D