XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Getting Xcom Dos Version To Work

j'ordos

ANYTHING you do with Dosbox is set at "dosbox.conf". That pc-nerdy-like txt where we changed fullscreen, resolution etc? ^_^

If we look inside the file, where should we look? I think at the sound part ^^

Hmmm, something interesting in there:

[mixer]

# nosound -- Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.

# rate -- Mixer sample rate, setting any devices higher than this will

# probably lower their sound quality.

# blocksize -- Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering

# but sound will also be more lagged.

# prebuffer -- How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

nosound=false

rate=22050

blocksize=2048

prebuffer=200

Soooo, let's put a good prebuffer (150-200), and let's try a blocksize much larger than the original! NOTE THAT THESE SETTINGS ARE MY SETTINGS, NOT THE DEFAULTS! So, try using that at first, and then if you need better results, experiment! :D

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Ultra Magnus

Hi guys,

I've been reading the posts in this thread with interest, as I recently installed DOS Box 0.63 and have been trying to get X-COM to run in it.

I downloaded X-COM from the link provided in the first post (http://www.abandonware-france.org/ltf-telecharger.php?id=216), but try as I might, it did not work.

I tried everything from 1000 to 20000 CPU cycles.

However, I dug up my old X-COM floppies last night (yes, I still have them!) and gave that a go.

It worked fine initially even with the DOS Box, but it was just too fast (even in 5 Sec mode the clock was ticking like crazy), but the game would freeze when it in the battlescape. So I tried to run it in DOS Box again with this version of X-COM and it worked great!

In case this can help anyone, I have a P4 machine with Win XP and have the DOS Box set to 10000 CPU cycles.

Cheers :)

Guest Guest_Sensen_*

I would REALLy recomend getting Dfend. Basically it's a companion program that runs Dosbox for you, and it really helps smooth out alot of the problems. I installed Dfend, and then set up the game to run through Dfend, and it has worked for me ever since.

I believe I got Dfend just by searching for it on Google.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Excellent Solution!

I was getting the f*ed up malfunctions after the first round in crash site like other people trying to run the dos(on CD) version of X-Com(TFTD) from WinXP. Everyone recommended Dosbox, but I couldn't crank up the CPU cycles enough run it comfortably with my 1 GHz processor.

Someone on this forum posted a solution earlier from a swedish guy who's solution worked great for me. His explaination was translated badly from swedish and someone else told him that it wouldn't work for most people, so I want to explain it a little better and give him the credit he deserves (thanks swedish guy ;) ).

1) Change the .bat or .exe file settings to run in Win95 compatibility mode

a) Go to - Properties for the terror.bat (for TFTD) or the .exe file (for UFO Defense)

B) Go to - Compatibility Tab

c) Check - Run this program with compatibility - Windows 95

2) Disable all display hardware acceleration

a) Go to - Properties on the Desktop

B) Go to - Settings Tab

c) Go to - Advanced

d) Go to - Troubleshoot Tab

e) Slide the Hardware Acceleration to "None"

Your crash site crashes should be gone :) Now I just need to figure out how to slow it down a little and reduce mouse sensitivity.

Guest SgtKlaos
Excellent Solution!

I was getting the f*ed up malfunctions after the first round in crash site like other people trying to run the dos(on CD) version of X-Com(TFTD) from WinXP. Everyone recommended Dosbox, but I couldn't crank up the CPU cycles enough run it comfortably with my 1 GHz processor.

Someone on this forum posted a solution earlier from a swedish guy who's solution worked great for me. His explaination was translated badly from swedish and someone else told him that it wouldn't work for most people, so I want to explain it a little better and give him the credit he deserves (thanks swedish guy  ;) ).

1) Change the .bat or .exe file settings to run in Win95 compatibility mode

a) Go to - Properties for the terror.bat (for TFTD) or the .exe file (for UFO Defense)

B) Go to - Compatibility Tab

c) Check - Run this program with compatibility - Windows 95

2) Disable all display hardware acceleration

a) Go to - Properties on the Desktop

) Go to - Settings Tab

c) Go to - Advanced

d) Go to - Troubleshoot Tab

e) Slide the Hardware Acceleration to "None"

Your crash site crashes should be gone :) Now I just need to figure out how to slow it down a little and reduce mouse sensitivity.

Oops. I spoke too soon. Now I'm getting crashes when I order an aquanaut to walk down a hill...

I have a system using xp home and trying to play x-com UFO defense dos version on dosbox v. 6.1 but can't even install it cause my floppies are corrupted. does anyone known where I can get (download or buy) the floppies to install it???

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm trying to play the old DOS version (snagged from the French abandonware site) on version 0.63 of Dosbox. I followed all the setup instructions and still can't get the game to even start properly. As soon as I attempt to run any of the executables (I test by running "geoscape "0"") the screen flashes, and I get an "Unexpected Interrupt 0000" crash message from the DOS4GW exe. I'm using a P4 2.4GHz running WinXP, and all the config files and whatnot for Dosbox are all at their default settings (except the ones mentioned earlier in the forum about SBlaster).

One last thing, if I disable sound entirely via the SETUP exe, instead of causing Dos4gw to crash, Dosbox itself goes down with an "Illegal Call: 7" error. Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

Okay. I downloaded both the dosbox and x-com ufo defense from the first page. I exracted it into c:/oldgames/ufo. this is what I type into the dosbox:

mount c c:\oldgames

c:

cd ufo

setup

I run setup for no music and sound just to get through it

then I say

full

The screen flashes black and the dosbox comes up and says the same thing the default is, but the program on the top line(the blue thing where you can x it out.)says "GEOSCAPE". Then after a few seconds the dosbox exits itself. I've tried just clicking on "Full" "Go" and others, but every time it will exit the game after clicking to make a base.

Any Ideas?

I have exactly the problem described on page 3.

I have Dosbox 0,63 and the dos version of the game and when i launch the game typing either "full" or "go" i have a blackscreen named "geoscape" and then a flash and a black screen named "tactical" and it goes on cycling forever.

I have a Intel Pentium 1,73 Mhz and a ATI mobility radeon X700

I've set the dosbox settings exactly as Kafros did.

And i haven't patched the game.

Thank you very much for your help.

=b

Turjan.

Hi guys, I got one for ya. I have a 1996 DELL laptop, and I can't get Dosbox to work on my linux box, so I decided to try and make that my X-Com computer. It's got a CD drive, but fails to boot from there, so I'm stuck with the original '95 DeLl EdItIoN install. I tried running the CE but the save/load mechanism must not worrk with '95. I eventually found that I can't save (edit: at all), and can't load battlescape saves (It brings me to the equip screen and I must start over with new alien positions, etc...). So when I recalled the DOS version I was very excited. Win95 has the old DOS so the game should run well, everything seemed file but when my Skyranger sent up that window that says "Begin mission at crash site-1" or something, The game freezes up, and I must close it. One time it unfroze after a few seconds, but I didn't go to battlescape, instead I was in geoscape, but time had stopped, and none of the buttons worked.Anyone have an idea about this? Edited by Brick-To-Face

Well, I'm file now... It wasn't easy, but I installed '98 on that thing. The DOS version still gets stuck in the same place, but the CE version works same as in Win2K (only crashes rarely, for no apparent reason, but that's ok) I also found something odd. The savegames are not interchangeable... I can't just replace my Game_1 - Game_10 with ones from another comp... Thank you all for your....

.... encouragement via silence.....

Sry Brick, don't take it personally :). You probably didn't receive a reply for several reasons:

1) Maybe no-one had the time to reply (nah...)

2) Maybe no-one had useful information. So, if they can't help you at all, why should they reply anyway?

3) Reasons I can't think of right now

Abandonware games are tricky... They work on some computers, on others they don't, some versions are corrupt or have missing files...

The best you have to do is try many different versions of the game from various download sources.

The Collectors Edition version is really MESSED UP. Better try the Original DOS version 1.4. It works fine for me (with dosbox). It even works via windows XP, but the globe is ultra-fast and it doesn't have sound.

Best of luck with your endeavours, and have a good time!

P.S. Whenever you need some pro information, PM Zombie or NFK (sry guys :D)

May the force be with you :P

P.S 2: Well, those savegames SHOULD work IIRC... maybe they are from another version of the game?

Edited by kafros

I use the ce version with the mp3 patch (sounds so much nicer) and I rearly have problems, it will crash every now and then when there are explosions. I save constantly. if it crashed I reload. if it does it again, I run the xcom1fix.exe that came with it and it goes past it. then i save and load back the ufodefence exe cuz i want my mp3 music. I've been playing agame for about a week now and its only crashed 4 times. and I use xp.

No big deal that noone replied, I didn't give enough time... is it "noone" or "no one", "noone" looks weird, oh, oh, by the way, I found some xcom-related stuff when googling for pictures of the Avenger reserch creen (does it say "ANSPORTER AND COMBAT AIRCRAFT" for everyone) and I found this "battle report":

http://www.battlereports.com/users/thedrone/xcom1/br.html

http://www.battlereports.com/users/thedrone/xcom2/br.html

http://www.battlereports.com/users/thedrone/xcom3/br.html

http://www.battlereports.com/users/thedrone/xcom4/br.html

http://www.battlereports.com/users/thedrone/xcom5/br.html

http://www.battlereports.com/users/thedrone/xcom6/br.html

The story is unfinished but it's not that bad.

Not having luck getting this game up and running. I went and got dos box 0.63 and I read the previous posts and I am still not having any luck. I also downloaded and installed D-fend because I saw that it makes everything easier and not sure what is going on with that to.

Right now I have taken the CD and copied everything to my C: drive and it is in file C:\oldgames\xcom

I have tried running progams to install it and such and have no luck with that or with the whole "mount" thing.

The only thing I can get to happen is I type something(not sure what) and all the files that I copied from the CD are duplicated. So the files like GAME_1 and GAME_2 there will be multiples of each but that is as far as I can get.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guyes!

I managed after a lill trixing get ufo to work with dosbox from the cd. Using the discs i got loong ago in a pack containing ufo tftd and apoc (not ce). Anyhow. im runing this on a 19" tft and in fulscreen everything gets blurry so thats out of the question but i think the window in wondowed mode is so small.. anyone know how to make it biger? i cant seem to find any way to do this.

Thanks in advance :)

alright I have tried to run the original dos version of ufo defense both on dosbox .61 and through windows.  I can get both to run the game beautifully until i try to go onto a mission.  The game asks if i want to embark on a mission and i click yes.  THen nothing on both versions.  If i hit enter a bunch i get a whole bunch of errors.  If i continue to press enter, then the game jumps to the mission end screen.  When i get back to the geoscape, I have more bases (x3).  Help plz.

try to delete the contents of the MISSDAT folder and run the game again.

HOw do you delete a read only data file? I am having the same problem where when I try to save a game or begin the first mission it show those damn big green letters. I am using Dosbox and the old dos version. Help!

Guest helpless_in_OSX

Well, I'm a hopeless noob, and just downloaded DOSbox to my eMac yesterday in hopes of playing xcom. After some painfull introduction to typing all sorts of things I've never had to do before, I've been able to access the right directories, and even told DOSBox how to find the SDL library (thanks to helpfiles in petit dosbox...)

Now when I try to actually play the game, the title bar simply reads "Geoscape" then "Tactical" and switches back and forth ad infinitum (in the dosbox window still). Same problem as post 74, it would appear.

Anyone with OSX DOSBox know-how get xcom to run? Please tell me the secret!

Guest hopeless_in_OSX

I'm having exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution for it? Please pass it on if you did! I loved this game, and am so tantilizingly close!

Well... I got dosbox all downloaded and stuff for OS X. Now, I get everything mounted with mount c /Users/wulfie180/dosprog then type c: and navigate into my xcom directory.

I run the setup, and that works just fine. After the setup, I punch ufo, hit enter and sit back. In the title bar, it says INTRO, then switches to TATICAL, the screen flashes and GEOSCAPE shows in the title bar, screen flashes again (different color then the first time) and displays TATICAL again. This continues on forever.

I got Xcom from the french site on the first page of this topic

and I have the newest version of dosobox.

Please help.

Ok i had the same funny screen problem as you on my powerbook running dosbox .63 in osx. Before when i had the same problem i was on xcom version 1.2...i downloaded the patch for 1.4 (the one that screws up the music) and things seem to run ok although on the slow side. better than nothing though. hope this helps

I'm having exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution for it? Please pass it on if you did! I loved this game, and am so tantilizingly close!

Well... I got dosbox all downloaded and stuff for OS X. Now, I get everything mounted with mount c /Users/wulfie180/dosprog then type c: and navigate into my xcom directory.

I run the setup, and that works just fine. After the setup, I punch ufo, hit enter and sit back. In the title bar, it says INTRO, then switches to TATICAL, the screen flashes and GEOSCAPE shows in the title bar, screen flashes again (different color then the first time) and displays TATICAL again. This continues on forever.

I got Xcom from the french site on the first page of this topic

and I have the newest version of dosobox.

Please help.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else tried running XCOM TFTD with Mouse2kv & VDMSound?

I was just fiddling around with it and wrote a simple batch file and got the game running darn near perfect using only those 2 utils. I "DO NOT" have DosBox installed nor have patched my copy with either the xcom2fix.exe or patch.dll. The game seems to be running with perfect sound and very good game play. On the lowest scroll speed it is still a little faster than prefer on the mission screens but nothing I cant live with. Other than that its just like when I played years ago. Ha...too cool. I just wanted to see if anyone else has tried using this method in Windows XP Pro as well with similar results.

My system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

2 Gigs RAM

Duel PCI Express GeForce 6600 cards in SLI link

Game install on a RAID 0 setup

Dosbox has some poorly documented features that can make it run XCOM a little nicer and prettier.

You need to have a dosbox.conf file in your dosbox directory. Here are the values I changed. Using the advinterp2x scaler really makes the game look nice. Changes I think you should try are in red. Ones that may need to be different on your system are in blue.

[render]

# frameskip -- How many frames dosbox skips before drawing one.

# aspect -- Do aspect correction.

# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.

# Supported are none,normal2x,advmame2x,advmame3x,advinterp2x,interp2x,tv2x.

frameskip=1

aspect=false

scaler=advinterp2x

[cpu]

# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: simple,normal,full,dynamic.

# cycles -- Amount of instructions dosbox tries to emulate each millisecond.

# Setting this higher than your machine can handle is bad!

# cycleup -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.

# cycledown Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=dynamic

cycles=20000

cycleup=500

cycledown=500

• 1 month later...
Guest Da springy nids

Sorry to be a pain but I too am having problems getting ufo:enemy unknown to work.

In point form, this is what I have done and what I have to work with..

1. I have a cd version of UFO, unknown version. I have also downloaded the abondonware version.

2. I have got both DOSBOX .65 and DFEND.

3. I have read through what advice has been given on these pages to no avail.

4. I can get UFO to run to the point where you click for base location and get booted out.

This is true for both versions.

5. When I install from cd, it tells me to type "cdsetup followed by your cd drive letter."

But when I try I get a "GOTO was unexpected at this time" message. So I edit the UFO.BAT file to show "CDDRIVE D:" and the game will run to the base click point.

6. I have a P4 3ghz, 1G ram, Windows xp home, etc etc...

I so dearly hope you can help me!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried both DOS version that jordos offer on his first post. I have a problem with the first one, the one that you get on the french site. I'm sure you are wondering why am I posting if the second version works fine (but slow I must say, the geoscape is really hard to turn)... in fact I am just curious.

Here's the problem. I load DosBox and the setup. After that, I run "go.exe" and the game just doesn't load. My screen is black and every one second a strange line with colors appears and disapear immediatly. I tried to update that version with the patch v1.0-1.2 and I'm able to reach the code screen. I enter the right code, the DosBox console says "Illegal line.... (I don't remember all of the error message)" indefinitly and the game freeze.

I also tried another version available on another web site which does the exact same thing.

The version offer on jordo's second links seems to have more files. What can cause that. I have DosBox v.0.65 and I tried Warcraft I and worked fine. Is it possible that the files are just corrupted? My hardware is:

Pentium: 733 MHz

Memory: 512MB

VideoCard: GeForce 2 GTS

Screen: LCD

Thank you

LeD

blehmedit: sorry, but rules are rules and no piracy...

*an internet* version does not need dosbox, and on some computers (mine included) dosbox just doesn't work

* Edit By Zombie: Removed site mention.

Edited by Zombie

Ok if we forget the thing with the other web site and we focus only on jordo's link. Anybody have a clue why ONLY the version available in the first link does not work? Is it because it must be install on C:\?

BTW I'm sorry I didn't know their version was illegal.

Thank you

LeD

There is a strange verion of UFO. I found it somewhere in the net, don't remember where. It has strange files in the main directory like intr.o ufoc.d and some others. I wasn't able to run it both in Windows and Dos-Box, just found another version, that works perfectly.

Try to change dos-box options, like sound (to nosound) or options of the game (run setup, set nosound)

I have the first version (with adlib music) and stilll playing it. In greater versions I found some bugs that prevented good playing

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest

hey I am trying to run TFTD, and when it loads one of two things happen (I have the original CD version)

1) if i dont mount my CD drive in dosbox, i get "unexpected interrupt" errors and it gets into an infinite loop and I have to close dosbox.

2) if i mount my cd drive, as the game loads i get a "cannot load <filename>.dat" error about 10 times, then the game loads with obscenely distorted colors. Now im fully able to press all the buttons and load the game, but the colors are so distorted it makes it impossible to tell what is happening.

anyone encounter this problem? and if so, alleviate it? I can play XCOM 1 fine, but ive beaten it 10000 times. Ive never beaten XCOM 2, and would very much like to. TIA.

• 1 month later...
Just got my hands on Ufo defense, and it runs fine on vanilla mode in WinXP, aka no dosbox. However, my major gripe is, I'm using a 19 inch LCD monitor, and the whole game screen seems to get stretched to accomodate the screen such that I can't even click on certain buttons anymore. Tried playing it in Win 95 compatability etc but nothing works. Any ideas on how to resize the screen properly?

I beleive, the old game has issues with your videocard rather than display itself.

Get DosBox and use it. In raw Windows the DOS version of X-Com is buggy as heck, whether you set the compatibility mode or not. You can expect any sort of glitches this way - in my case X-Com under Windows used to hang every time the game was to pop-up a window (like "UFO detected"), and I had to Alt-Tab to desktop and back to see it, and also crashed every now and then. I had to even quit playing until I knew about DOSBox.

DOSBox completely isolates the X-Com code both from new OS and new hardware and it's much more stable.

I really recommend to try it.

Edit: That's if you didn't mean that you played the Collector's Edition - which is a Windows version of the game (also buggy by the way).

Edited by Bullet-Tooth Tony

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest sebastian0622

I still can't get the sound to work in DosBox. I'm running DosBox v.70, but tried rolling back to .63 and using the .conf settings at the beginning of the thread (and running those setup settings), but to no avail. Nothing--no music or sound.

Any suggestions?

Edited by sebastian0622

Guest sebastian0622
Now I am getting the low rumbling sound. I can deal with it if need be, but I am still trying to fix it. Changing the config settings hasn't helped so far, so I'm open to solutions!

• 3 months later...

Hey I just torrented X-com 1, burnt the ISO to a disk and copied the files over. I mounted the right drives and ended up running from runexe/run.exe and it started up, I set my self up, shot down some of those horrible aliens and when I send in a group of soldiers it freezes after I say 'Begin mission' (or such like), on the geoscape.

I tried Deleting the contents of misdat (?) but that had no effect. If I press enter it starts putting black rectangles down the side of the window. Can anyone help?

Edited by Pureferret

:/ Weird...

I could only advise you the following:

1) Use the latest version of Dosbox, that is v0.70 (IMPORTANT! :P)

2) If you are using the original DOS Version of the game, be sure it's patched (version v1.4 I think?)

3) If the above don't work, try the CE (Collector's Edition) of the game

Good luck :)

(btw check ur PMs :P ;))

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully someone can help me.

Bought my version of ufo:EU a couple of years ago (SOLD OUT Games or something like that). Used to run fine on Window's 2000. The way it used to work was you installed to your hard drive (C:\UFO). Then from your DOSPROMPT you typed

" C:\UFO\cdsetup d " where d is the label of the cd drive

This ran the sound setup and brought you back to the DOSPROMPT

"To launch UFO type UFO......

C:\UFO\............................. " at which point I used to type UFO and the game used to run

I've looked and there is a file in the "C:\UFO" folder called ufo and it's an ms-dos batch file

My problem is I'm now running Windows XP. I tried doing it the old way and I got a GOTO Unexpected message.

So I downloaded DOSBOX, mounted the UFO folder to the C drive and launched ufo.bat

This works fine (sound perfect, graphics perfect, gamespeed perfect) until I try and land at the first crashsite or save my game.

Please help.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently installed my CD version of X-Com UFO Defense (doesn't say what version but the CD says "©1997 Mythos Games Ltd") on my machine: Dell Dimension 4550 with WinXP Home Edition SP2, Pentium 4 2.53GHz with 1GB RAM.

No updates have been made to my machine recently and I also don't let anyone else touch it!

I installed DOSBox 0.71 and followed the instructions for mounting the drive and left everything at default settings. I installed X-COM and kept the default settings from the setup and verything in X-Com was working great for about 3 weeks; great music, sound effects, battle scenes--no crashes, glitches, or screw-ups. I was really surprised and really, really happy!

Then all of a sudden, yesterday, the game music started playing at a really, really low volume. The startup music is fine and the sound effects are fine, but to hear the regular music I have to crank the volume all the way up on the speakers. Needless to say the sound effects are then blasting out at an ear-piercing volume whenever I do this, so, it's not an acceptable fix.

Oh, and sounds work great on all other games, but this is the only game I use in DOSBox.

Why would the sound all of a sudden change on its own and how can I make it go back? I've tried several changes to the buffer: 10 to 100 then to 500, but these changes made no difference.

Any ideas? Any help will be greatly rewarded and compensated with X-COM strategies and tactics!

• 3 weeks later...

First of all Hi everyone.

I wanted to play this great game again and cant get it to work. First I had the "Build first base game crash" error. I googled and found this website.

I got Dosbox and tried to run it again. I followed the walkthrough and when I write ufo.bat Dosbox freezes and crashes. I have the cd version and haven't tried to copy the cd to my HD but I mounted the cd and it didnt work too. Will copying the cd to my HD help at all? This is the last possible solution I got.

Im pretty desperate now. Do you have any solution for my problem?

Im sorry for asking the same dumb old question but I wouldn't ask it if there was another way.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Edit: Wait a second, I haven't tried to change the sound. I tried to start it without sound but without any success either. I will try to start it with the modified sound settings.

Edited by Flibb

I'm running Dosbox .72, and have DOS version of Xcom 1 (as I call it). It has been working fine for a few weeks, until i get to my first Alien base (it's actually listed as base-2, so I know I have another one to find). the skyranger gets there, I say yes to start the mission, I get the pop-up about yada-yada-yada, then the screen goes black, and the arrow is stuck in the top left corner. I can adjust the frame skip and cpu rate of Dosbox, but it doesn't do anything. I have tried cleaning out misstemp, patched to 1.4, turned off hardware acceleration, evenrything that was listed in the previous 2 pages - including running in 95 compatibility mode.

One odd thing I notice is that in the Dos box status window, there is a message "Strting up with SDL windob video driver. Try to update your video card and direct x drivers." What dose that mean, other than update video card/Direct X - which im trying now, but not too hopeful.

Assistance is appreicated!!

I'm running Dosbox .72, and have DOS version of Xcom 1 (as I call it). It has been working fine for a few weeks, until i get to my first Alien base (it's actually listed as base-2, so I know I have another one to find). the skyranger gets there, I say yes to start the mission, I get the pop-up about yada-yada-yada, then the screen goes black, and the arrow is stuck in the top left corner. I can adjust the frame skip and cpu rate of Dosbox, but it doesn't do anything. I have tried cleaning out misstemp, patched to 1.4, turned off hardware acceleration, evenrything that was listed in the previous 2 pages - including running in 95 compatibility mode.

One odd thing I notice is that in the Dos box status window, there is a message "Strting up with SDL windob video driver. Try to update your video card and direct x drivers." What dose that mean, other than update video card/Direct X - which im trying now, but not too hopeful.

Assistance is appreicated!!

Try X-COM - Total Pack out.

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242027870

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am having trouble getting the right speed to play this game in Dosbox .70. I have a 3.0ghz celeron so running it at about 10,000 cycles is no issue it's just I'm wondering if it's too fast, particularly for the passage of time on the section with the map of the earth. What would be a good number of cycles to set dosbox to?

Also while I am posting I noticed that while I am in the section where I have my squad at a crash site, when I come into an aliens line of site my squad gets shot at even if it isn't there turn, can I do this for my squad as well?

Also while I am posting I noticed that while I am in the section where I have my squad at a crash site, when I come into an aliens line of site my squad gets shot at even if it isn't there turn, can I do this for my squad as well?

Yup, this is called reaction fire. If your men have enough Time Units and high reactions they might get a chance to shoot during the aliens turn. :)

- Zombie

• 3 weeks later...