9 replies to this topic

#1 Jokerace

Jokerace

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 05:49 PM

I read thru the "Strategy guide" on this site. However, I think I missed something. Hyper-Wave Decoders...are these the "Radars" that are 100%? Because in th egame description it makes no reference to "radar".

#2 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 05:53 PM

Hyperwave Decoders work as 100% radars, thus you can dismantle all other radar facilities in your base since they are no longer needed.

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#3 Jokerace

Jokerace

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 07:09 PM

TY Sup. I thought that was how it wored, but when the UFOpedia didn't say anything about "radar" I got confused. :(

#4 MadTaco

MadTaco

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 10:46 AM

Does anyone know the range in meters of a HWD?

#5 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 11:57 AM

Using the magic of "Go to last known UFO position, it is about THIS far. Now all you need is a tape ruler. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• HWDecoder.JPG

Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#6 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:09 AM

Anyone out there with some measuring tape? :unsure:
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.

FMIX-The General Stores

#7 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:30 AM

Huh, does the HWD dismantle the short range radar system as well?

#8 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:42 AM

It doesn't tear down the facility, if that's what you're asking. But, since it has the longest range and has 100% detection, it doesn't really matter what happens to the short radar, does it? :) (or the long range radar, for that matter)

FMIX-The General Stores

#9 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 01:21 PM

Tip, wait till the hyperwave decoder is built before dismantling the other radars.

This way, even if they are of no use, the radar abilities will still be available even though you've dismantled the older radars.

This is making use of the 'phantom radar' bug where the effects of a radar remain even after you remove the facility. The abilities of the old radar will remain until a new radar of any type is built. So, if you want the radar but don't want the base module, build it, wait till it's built, then remove it. You can test this out by starting a new game and removing the default radar. Watch in awe as the base still picks up UFOs!

Yeah, I realise leaving the old radars in may be a bit pointless, as the hyperwave decoder has such a decent rate. But as you've probably noticed, not every 100% probability works in this game (for example, the fusion ball launcher). On the other hand, you've got nothing to lose from leaving the old radars in, as it's natural that you'll dismantle them after the new radar is in. ;)

- NKF

P.S: If you're going to run detection range tests, I suggest building a base in Novosibirsk, as the four nearest towns to it are practically equal horizontal distances apart, making them good measure markers. By the way, keep note that radar tracking and radar detection may have different ranges.

Pseudo-Random tip of the day: Only one radar of each type works at any given time. It doesn't matter what the base information screen says, the radar range is not extended and the detection probabilities is not increased.

Edited by NKF, 21 February 2004 - 01:28 PM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#10 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 07:27 AM

But as you've probably noticed, not every 100% probability works in this game (for example, the fusion ball launcher).

It probably uses 8-bit percentages, then. With 8 bits, Probabilities are measured in 255ths, for more accuracy. So, the fusion ball launcher, with 230% accuracy, would really be 230/255, or about 90%. The plasma beam would be about 55%, which seems to work if you've seen it in action alot.

Yeah, it's odd, but I've seen it done before. The other possibility, is that accuracy decreases with distance.

Detection range will be very difficult to find out, as it occurs every 10 minutes, and UFOs may have different detection distances with height. I have lost tracking from a skyranger because a UFO landed before.

FMIX-The General Stores