XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Mortar And Grenade Launchers

I think it would be nice to have other weapons that can shoot above walls. Of course it shouldn't be very easy to use these weapons. I think about following stats :

Human mortar :

Power = 90

Radius = 5

Dmg type = HE

Human launcher :

Launcher mode :

Power = 70

Radius = 4

Dmg type = HE

Rifle mode :

Power = 20

Dmg type = AP

Alien mortar :

Power = 220

Radius = 7

Dmg type = IC

Alien launcher :

Launcher mode :

Power = 120

Radius = 6

Dmg type = HE

Rifle mode :

Power = 70

Dmg type = Plasma

Rifle modes for launchers only can use snap shot.

Mortar acc = Firing acc / 2

Launcher\rifle acc = Firing acc / 1.5

Setting\unseting mortar would take 50% TUs, mortar shot 60%.

Launcher shot would take 55% TUs, and rifle shot 45%.

Weapons that can go over walls.....grenades.

The battles are fairly close-combat situations, a mortar is for mid-long range battles, a grenade launcher sounds ok, but might make the game to easy. Also I doubt the aliens would have a grenade launcher counterpart, and for mortars

*cough* blaster bombs *cough*

Aliens mainly use plasma tech, rather then a grenade launcher, I would imagine aliens fire some overcharged bolt of plasma (much like overcharhing plasma pistols on Halo), or some sort of bigass HE/Plasma Cannon weapon which has a 3x3 or 5x5 area affect damage.

Also aliens don't need mortars, they have those lovely guided missiles instead which are far more accurate. Mabye for the G.Launcher they can have a mini-blasterbomb launcher *shudders*

@Sharp:

Mortar maybe isn't a good idea, but grenade launcher isn't just for launching grenades. It's on (plasma) rifle, so when enemy comes to you, you aren't stuck with pistol\without things, and you can shoot and kill your enemy, because that rifle is little more powerful and little less acurate than standalone version. Do you remember that thing ? You come to room with blasterguy who is surely going to blast you in next turn. You don't have enough TUs too shoot, so you come near to him and he doesn't shoot ! Then you kill him

and problem solved. If you did that thing to g.launcher guy, you'd just get shot by plasma.

@Dover:

It isn't HE shell for small launcher. It's NEW WEAPON with options : Launch Grenade, Plasma Shot, Throw. I don't think that massive stun shell is a good idea.