XCOMUFO & Xenocide

See Through Walls?

I know it's probably fake, but it would be cool if it were real, and Xcorp would no doubtedly have a few.

Check it out.

http://www.baytoday.ca/content/news/details.asp?c=6657

I don't know how this would be implemented in the game, but I can see how seeing through a building would be pretty neat. I'm sure it could be made smaller. Kindof like the gunsight in the movie Eraser, only better.

If this thing is real as he says it is, then hes just changed the laws of weapons completley..

I mean if it is what he says it is, then he's made the perfect death ray.

I mean look at it, a jet fighter comes along, this device emits light (which travels billions of miles a second) and deactivates the fighters systems, crashing it. Also, if a nuke was launched, this would stop the nuke in its tracks splashing into the sea or hitting the land.

Even think of an improved one? like it was released by a sattellite? It could completely disable an entire city, or better yet dump it on some nuclear silos and stop them from working too.

Well his website is removed, and the french came to him, and it wasnt on the news.. :uhoh:

Other than that he could just be a crackpot :KooKoo:

When I hear the idea of 'see through walls', I think more of the player being able to see through walls, or have an ability to remove them, so to see behind them. Especially if we put in rotating 3D, some kind of walls being either see-throughable for the player to spot anything behind the wall (if a soldier sees it, of course).

But yeah, clearly this is fake.

Yeah, it's probably fake. I guess the India government doesn't have anti-gravity technology then? We didn't develope transporters at area 51? We didn't develope time travel in the Philadelphia Project? Wow, this world is pretty dull isn't it?

How would you control what's a "wall" to be seen through, and what's the car on the other side. How would you control that your skin should be see-through, but the stuff under it shouldn't.

Makes no sense.

Yeah I know. It doesn't have to make sense in the game. Just "game sense." Although this guy is a nut job, it doesn't mean we can't consider a device for xcorp's use that would allow them to see through walls. Possibly in the same research thread as motion detector. At least let them have the microwave stuff the FBI uses all the time. It's pretty grainy, but not to bad.

The technology doesn't make sense. The thing can't possibly know to make the entire wall invisible and the car behind it visible, or that it should make his skin invisible but his muscles, bones, etc. visible.

• 1 year later...

Even IF the device is real, it sounds like the thing is damn radioactive. The report says it ruined a car, and the inventor lost all feeling in some exposed parts. Uh... that's a sign of severe radiation poisoning. And he called it a "hyde" effect? Get a Geiger counter, for god sake! There is some really dangerous stuff going on there. There's no way in heck he should be doing that in a garage, around other people.

For such a device to work, it needs to manipulate matter in such a way that it allows visible light to pass through unscathed. Glass can do it, water can do it, some plastics can do it, so the phenomenon already exists. The hard part, is understanding how that works. Even harder, is how the heck would you apply some form of energy to apply that property to an object?

All in all, it sounds like a lot of trouble for something explosives can do better.

Edited by Robo Dojo 58