XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Nation Flags

mikker

I made the flags some time ago but i forgot all about them :hammer:

but here they are. I only took the ones which were used in the nationallity thing that Lord T have put op.

Its for the nationalities of the soldiers, btw.

*gasp* where did you get that portugal flag (first thing i checked :P )? it's nothing like that, it's like [url="http://www.ultimateflags.com/int/images/portugal.gif"]this[/url]!

stupid freeware sites uses paint to make the flags.... :rolleyes:

sorry bout that ^_^

can anyone check if some of the others are false? I switched site in the mid of them because it didn't have them all. I suspect the first site flags to be made in paint.

these are false, editing them and uploading a new.

Afhganistan [false!]
Argentina [false!]
Armenia [false!]
Barkina [false!]
Bolivia [false!]
Bosnia & H. [false!]
Belarus [False!]
Costa Rica [false!]
Equador [false!]
Guatamala [false!]
Iraq [false!]
new caladona [ehm....why the french?]
qatar [false!]
sao tomy & P. [kinda false]
saychelles [false!]
spain [false!]
yemen [woops!]

btw, heres the real portigian flag Edited by mikker

much better :)
you might think of getting the flags from [url="http://www.ultimateflags.com/flag%20list.htm#international"]here[/url] (you don't need to buy flags since the previews are big enough to use :P ). Edited by SupSuper

yes, they arn't a problem to use. I've used those quite a few times too, but the colors are off sometimes.

[img]http://vexilolognet.hyperlink.cz/slovensko.gif[/img]

I hope this one you have correctly :D

That canadian flag is very bad.

I wonder if going through all the flags and correcting them would be more or less work than mining google for pics of flags.

[img]http://www.nava.org/fcanadaspec.gif[/img] Edited by fux0r666

i know the flags arn't the correct proportions. They are all squared, so that sets quite a limit.

[quote name='Caid' date='Jul 2 2004, 09:55 PM'][img]http://vexilolognet.hyperlink.cz/slovensko.gif[/img]

I hope this one you have correctly  :D[/quote]
All those flags Mikker posted are squares, not rectangles, so I don't think that flag will show correct either... not that we'll have much use for the Slovakian flag in the game anyway ^_^

[quote name='j'ordos' date='Jul 3 2004, 09:35 AM'][quote name='Caid' date='Jul 2 2004, 09:55 PM'] [img]http://vexilolognet.hyperlink.cz/slovensko.gif[/img]

I hope this one you have correctly  :D[/quote]
All those flags Mikker posted are squares, not rectangles, so I don't think that flag will show correct either... not that we'll have much use for the Slovakian flag in the game anyway ^_^ [/quote]
acturly, the slovakian flag looks quite nice.

fux0r666: Will people notice it ingame? I don't really think so. Because i've made them squared (easier when used and better space efficiant), it won't be like that. But you can still see that its the canadian or the brittish flag.

As long as we trick the eye with a sort of non linear flag, nobody will notice the difference.

And it is preferable to be conservative, so that means squared is ok, because textures have to be 2^m X 2^n where n,m are positive integers. That means that you need 64x64, 128 x 128, etc... or 64 x 128. However if you manage to use a 64x128 without wasting too much that would be better though.

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='red knight' date='Jul 3 2004, 01:17 PM']As long as we trick the eye with a sort of non linear flag, nobody will notice the difference.

And it is preferable to be conservative, so that means squared is ok,  because textures have to be 2^m X 2^n where n,m are positive integers. That means that you need 64x64, 128 x 128, etc... or 64 x 128. However if you manage to use a 64x128 without wasting too much that would be better though.

Greetings
Red Knight[/quote]
i tried 64x128, but it looked too flat. Thats why i made it square.

The first thing I look for in a game with international characters is the canadian content. I noticed straight off that the canadian flag was off. I think that if you're going to include content that showcases people's national identity, you should try to get it right. The fact that we have had a page full of complaints in the first week that this was posted is testament to the fact that people's flags are very important to them.

edit: Most times in games the main characters are american. It's a real treat to some of us to see our 'homies' in games. If we include stuff from, say, spain, spanish gamers will be looking for spanish characters. If we get their flag wrong it's quite likely they will be insulted. Edited by fux0r666

I did some research and [url="http://www.flagart.com/flag-sizes.htm"]this site[/url] says that although the flags for various countries have different dimensions, there is a universal standard for when flags will be displayed in tandem. This is so that no one flag takes up more space in presentation than any other. The standard presentation dimension ratio is 3:5. [url="http://www.flagart.com/index.html"]This page[/url] has an example of every flag (I assume), but they are typical sample images with a watermark. They would be useful as a guide, though, for flags that are hard to find drawing instructions for like those I found above. Edited by fux0r666

well, i don't really see any problems with the flags not being 100% the correct size. If you have a problem with it, make some yourself, i ain't gonna stop you. I don't see any problems with the canadian flag. At all. Its red an white, it got a marble leaf, what more is there to ask for?

Those who don't find the incorrect flags offensive will find them comically incorrect. I am canadian. I know the flag doesn't look right. It is the wrong colour and that shape at the centre resembles the canadian maple leaf but it is not what appears on the flag. I also know that the union jack doesn't look right. The arms of the cross of St. Patrick aren't symetrical. If we proceed with so many incorrect flags- rather, any incorrect flags at all- we are going to appear to be lazy or worse. My main objection isn't that the flags aren't square, it is that some of them are incorrect. Proceeding would be like mispelling the name of a country.

If we wish to create a product that is of commercial standard we need to pay attention to all of these details. Incorrect flags would be like publishing ctd with spelling mistakes or like forgetting to animate some characters.

Mistakes are the reason pencils have erasers- they are why we post the content for peer review. To be perfect every time or to beyond reproach is unrealistic. If I told you that these flags were good I would be doing a disservice to you and myself. The reason why I am insisting that these flags need revision is that they are very important. I was astounded that you did all of those flags by yourself- but do not underestimate national pride. If we include flags, they must be perfect. At the very least, all of the iconography must be correct.

edit: That is an excellent resource, Judge Dredd. Excellent find. Edited by fux0r666

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jul 5 2004, 06:35 PM']Those who don't find the incorrect flags offensive will find them comically incorrect.  I am canadian.  I know the flag doesn't look right.  It is the wrong colour and that shape at the centre resembles the canadian maple leaf but it is not what appears on the flag.  I also know that the union jack doesn't look right.  The arms of the cross of St. Patrick aren't symetrical.  If we proceed with so many incorrect flags- rather, any incorrect flags at all- we are going to appear to be lazy or worse.  My main objection isn't that the flags aren't square, it is that some of them are incorrect.  Proceeding would be like mispelling the name of a country. 

If we wish to create a product that is of commercial standard we need to pay attention to all of these details.  Incorrect flags would be like publishing ctd with spelling mistakes or like forgetting to animate some characters.

Mistakes are the reason pencils have erasers- they are why we post the content for peer review.  To be perfect every time or to beyond reproach is unrealistic.  If I told you that these flags were good I would be doing a disservice to you and myself.  The reason why I am insisting that these flags need revision is that they are very important.  I was astounded that you did all of those flags by yourself- but do not underestimate national pride.  If we include flags, they must be perfect.  At the very least, all of the iconography must be correct.

edit:  That is an excellent resource, Judge Dredd.  Excellent find.[/quote]
Thats why i said: go ahead. I don't find wrong flags to be offensive. At least not this state. I don't see any diffrence between the 'real' candian and mine. And it certainly isn't anything you'll notice ingame. Am i 'comically incorrect' because of this :huh: ? Well, i ain't fanatic about my cuntry, but that doesn't mean i should.

i can't sit and spend hours for each flag, that would take weeks. There are quite a few flags. I didn't spend more then a minutte a max for any of them, 5 secs min.

again: if you find them highly offensive (giggles), then be welcome to remake them. I honestly can't see what is wrong tho.

Stewart: Not really. But i guess that 'powers of two' flags would be easier to code. I see that i could make the one end twice the length. But i found it too much. I might be wrong tho.

Yes. My first impressions of that pic are that the maple leaf doesn't occupy enough area on the white field. I would definately be able to tell that the union jack was incorrect at that size.

Well, Mikker, I guess I will have to make more flags- or someone will. Perhaps a group of people can.

What was the giggle all about? Do you believe I am being unreasonable? Edited by fux0r666

Certainly now there is a bias, you know it is not right so when you see it in a small scale you would know it right away, so about it the discussion is pointless... (Not to mention that the downsampling would make even the best designed flag looks crap in proporsions).

BTW I dont recall where the flags are going to be used. Mikker has a point, they are small, an I wouldnt use a 64x128 texture for that... so a 32 x 64 is more than enough... color codification is another issue, the right colors should be used.

If we intend to use bigger flags then well designed flags are needed. Just for those canadian fanatics ;) make the red strips biggers cause I agree the downsampling makes it look funny.

EDIT: Mhh I noticed that the problem is because you are doing it square in the picture too, flags have to be larger in the X coordinate, even if the original is done in an squared texture.

EDIT: And Fux, you cant get the details needed in a 64x64 texture, there is not enough pixels to do so.

Greetings
Red Knight Edited by red knight

[quote name='j'ordos' date='Jul 7 2004, 03:38 AM']What if we just use the international 2-letter code for each country? So Canada would be shown as 'CN' (iirc :) ), and in the soldiers bio the name could be in full?[/quote]
Talking about the bio. I'd be really interested into doing a random bio text generator. You know like: "Ben Johnson is born in San Jose (CA). He grew up there than flied to Chicago (IL) to study art...". Do you think it would be interesting?

[quote]Talking about the bio. I'd be really interested into doing a random bio text generator. You know like: "Ben Johnson is born in San Jose (CA). He grew up there than flied to Chicago (IL) to study art...". Do you think it would be interesting?[/quote]

Indeed it would be, but I think this would be an idea best explored in the laboratories for now.

J'ordos: Which two letter country code is that? The canadian country code that I see on bumper stickers everywhere is CDN... I'm not too sure what that signifies, though, Edited by fux0r666

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jul 7 2004, 10:25 AM']J'ordos: Which two letter country code is that?  The canadian country code that I see on bumper stickers everywhere is CDN... I'm not too sure what that signifies, though,[/quote]
:D I meant the ISO-codes for nations, but I was wrong, it's CA :Blush:
(list: [url="http://www.bcpl.net/~j1m5path/isocodes.html"]here[/url]) Edited by j'ordos

No, I think it stands for CanaDiaN. Those are the letters that appear beside our currency in the american press, too. I think maybe they just didn't want it to be confused with the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament..

The ones I see on cars are usually black letters in a black oval but this is the best I could do with google...

[img]http://www.ocanadagear.com/graphics/bumpersticker-cdn.jpg[/img]

And this is the logo for the CND (I'm sure everyone has seen this before but I doubt anyone really knows what it's for... I didn't know until a few minutes ago).
I knew it as the 'peace' symbol: Edited by fux0r666

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jul 3 2004, 06:58 PM']edit:  Most times in games the main characters are american.  It's a real treat to some of us to see our 'homies' in games.  If we include stuff from, say, spain, spanish gamers will be looking for spanish characters.  If we get their flag wrong it's quite likely they will be insulted.
[right][post="82693"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well, in first C&C, GDI mission 7, was our capital city written as Brataslavia and they scratched the southern part of Slovakia from map, what could really annoy someone, but very presence of Slovakia itself in the game made it very exciting. Every our gaming magazine made a screenshot of it :D Nobody would care then about such details, nor to take it as an "insult".

I think that if we do something we should do it right. That means if we use flags they need to be accurate. Now if getting correct flags is too much of an issue then maybe we should look at using simply the national colors or code (CDN or USA for example)

Mikker I understand why you made them square but would it be a problem to make them the 3:5 ratio and pad the top and bottom with the border color so that the flag fits in the space and blends with the interface border?

Why not go through and make a database of correct flags? Then, once we have correct flags for all the name categories that have been added, they can be put in the game. Until then, we just keep the database and point out incorrect flags?

I also agree that it's better to go with an image showing the proper dimensions of each flag- especially due to the fact that the uniqueness of some flags is due to their non-standard ratios ^_^

• 2 months later...
Right now this is a nonissue. We can get the equip screen up w/o the flags and we are still a long way from implemnting this screen.

However when this does come around we will make sure the flags are accurate before implementing them. Edited by Vaaish

• 3 weeks later...