XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Internationalization

Serge

OK, approved your request. Though it seems to be "Estonian (Estonia) (et_EE)" while the older one was "Estonian (et)". I don't know what is the real difference, but probably it's better to stick to one of them and drop the other. Feel free to also claim "Estonian (et)" and then we will try to do something.

Well, i don't think there is much difference in the structure. However, if possible, i'd like to join the existing project. As a free user, i can only add 2000 words, meaning i can not translate the whole thing. It would be better to join the existing one "Estonian (et)", if there weren't one little problem:

The "Estonian (et)" team did not show up on the page.

https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/ufo2000/teams/

This is what i see, when i go to that page: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k149/t3h...translation.png Before the new one, i saw only 3 available teams. None of them covered my language.

Therefore, i can not request joining the team from that page. If there is another way to join, i'd like to know about it. Thanks for the quick reply :)!

EDIT: I suspect that it may be that the team has not been created, yet the file for (et) exists. If i requested the "Estonian (et)" team to be created, and afterwards be a part of that, would it allow me to change the existing file?

Edited by trolly2

OK, approved your request. Though it seems to be "Estonian (Estonia) (et_EE)" while the older one was "Estonian (et)". I don't know what is the real difference, but probably it's better to stick to one of them and drop the other. Feel free to also claim "Estonian (et)" and then we will try to do something.

Well, i don't think there is much difference in the structure. However, if possible, i'd like to join the existing project. As a free user, i can only add 2000 words, meaning i can not translate the whole thing.

I think ufo2000 is eligible for 'Open-source projects' plan with no restrictions according to https://www.transifex.net/plans/

If anybody hits any limit, just let me know and we can try to solve it.

It would be better to join the existing one "Estonian (et)", if there weren't one little problem:

The "Estonian (et)" team did not show up on the page.

https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/ufo2000/teams/

This is what i see, when i go to that page: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k149/t3h...translation.png Before the new one, i saw only 3 available teams. None of them covered my language.

Therefore, i can not request joining the team from that page. If there is another way to join, i'd like to know about it. Thanks for the quick reply :)!

EDIT: I suspect that it may be that the team has not been created, yet the file for (et) exists. If i requested the "Estonian (et)" team to be created, and afterwards be a part of that, would it allow me to change the existing file?

Yes, I think it's a good idea to try requesting for "Estonian (et)" team to be created.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I will be working on the translation in my spare time.

It is far from finished, but on most occasions, rough translations are in place :).

OK, thanks. Transifex shows that the translation is 98% finished. Are only some messages missing or the already translated ones need to be verified/updated too?

PS. I have finally found how to delete that other duplicate "Estonian (Estonia) (et_EE)" team from transifex, so now we just have "Estonian (et)".

• 3 months later...

Now, i have been awfully busy (and still am), but in reply to your question.

I have checked the existing strings for their suitability and fixed some of them, if not all. I guess it will have to be a working progress.

However, i myself have a question regarding some strings.

I noticed that some have spaces or symbols in front of them.

As far as i my mind sees it, spaces are probably for fitting the text, and maybe the symbols are necessary as well. However, i am interested in a way to check the preview of the translation ingame. If it is possible, then how?

EDIT: So far i did some direct translation and it should now show 100%. However, i will have to check if everything fits into the context.

Edited by trolly2

Now, i have been awfully busy (and still am), but in reply to your question.

I have checked the existing strings for their suitability and fixed some of them, if not all. I guess it will have to be a working progress.

Thanks!

As far as i my mind sees it, spaces are probably for fitting the text, and maybe the symbols are necessary as well.

Can you give an example?

However, i am interested in a way to check the preview of the translation ingame. If it is possible, then how?

Yes, it should be possible to download the current translation from transifex https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/ufo200...wnload/for_use/ and use it to replace "translations/ufo2000-est.po" file in the ufo2000 directory.

As far as i my mind sees it, spaces are probably for fitting the text, and maybe the symbols are necessary as well.

Can you give an example?

Examples:

one string in English goes as follows: Equipment weight: %2d/%2d

another example in English: Tab: Next soldier (this has 6 spaces before anything is written

example 3: there is a string which consists of 49 spaces and nothing else(if i counted the right)

They should exist in all languages, unless this is some kind of a display bug/error caused by my browser or settings (which i don't think is the case :P).

Examples:

one string in English goes as follows: Equipment weight: %2d/%2d

Such special characters should be left intact. They are substituted by other strings or numbers when showing the message. Actually the game checks the validity of message templates and will not load the corrupted translation strings. The error messages about bad translations will be reported in a log file.

another example in English: Tab: Next soldier (this has 6 spaces before anything is written

example 3: there is a string which consists of 49 spaces and nothing else(if i counted the right)

They should exist in all languages, unless this is some kind of a display bug/error caused by my browser or settings (which i don't think is the case :P).

This is probably indeed done for better text placement and alignment. It should be quite harmless to change the number of spaces. In the worst case it will just look a bit ugly in the game.

Thanks!

So it was as i suspected.

As for the translation, there is a lot of tweaking to be done, but at least it is complete, even though not 100 correct yet.

I'll see what i can do about that.

When i feel the translation is correct, i will notify you here (it may take a while, but i hope it won't). There's a lot of testing to be done.

EDIT: More editing than expected. Bumped into a few problems. Will ask for help if i can not solve them on my own.

Edited by trolly2