XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Apoc Cd, Xp, Dosbox And Me

Komured

Hi. Im one of those who spent days trying to get apocalypse to work in win XP and id like to share how i did it.

My major problem was that im using usb mouse and keyboard wich renders the install proglam none usable. Anyway here is how i finally made it work.

First i started dosbox (i allready had it installd due to ufo and tftd) ccan be found here http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

I use the 0.65 version for windows (im using xp yes)

After instaling dosbox you need to spend alill time seting it up ill tell how i did.

First i created a new map under C:\ (in windows not in dosbox) calld Oldgames so c:\oldgames is now a folder on my HD.

Next i Opend the Dosbox.conf file in the dosbox dir the raeson for this is that we need to change the size of the HD or apoc will complain about not enough space. At the botom of this file is a line saying

[autoexec]

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

we need to ad a lill line here so under

type in mount c c:\oldgames -freesize 1024 where c:\oldgames is the new folder you created, the dosbox fellas advice against mounting c:\directly since it can cause some not funny things to happen so dont do that.

The bottom of your config should now look like this

[autoexec]

mount c c:\oldgames -freesize 1024

save and close.

Now Put your apoc into your cd/dvd rom drive and start dosbox.

When its all started upp it should say

Z:\ and have the lill blinker. Now to mount your cdrom.

Type Mount E E:\ -t CDROM

you have to replace the letters E with the id of your own cd but since i got 2 hd in my comp my dvd is on E. ok

now type

e:\

and press enter. then you type install. run through the install program when you are done you should be back in the Dos window. if not fire upp dosbox again and mount the cd.

now type Setup. go to sound setup and set to (actually autodetect works here) soundblaster 16 220 7 1. you can now test the soudn by pressing the button (worked for me yay!!)

Save and exit

Type

c:

type cd xcoma

type Xcomapoc

your game should now be runing.

You would have to mount etc every time unless you change the cfg or do as i did and download D-Fend wich after a few settings will alow you to just press a button to play the game. I use defend for UFO, TFTD and Apoc works wonders.

Anyway this is how i made my CD version work in win XP and i hope it will attleast help someone outthere who had asmuch problems as i did.

I do know my text isnt the most Logical and maybe not the most clearest thing but hey im no teacher.

Here is a link to D-Fend http://members.home.nl/mabus/dfend.htm Basicly easy to use UI for Dosbox.

And to set it upp to work with your allready installd apoc you can do it like this.

download version 2.0.65.00 to make sure it work with your dosbox 0.65. Install it.

Start the program

Just under File at the top left is a lill Wizards hat. klick it.

Name your profile something easy like Xcom Apoc or Apoc so you know its related to this game.

Under game exe you klick browse and find your way to your XCOMAPOC.EXE file in your apoc folder.

this is what mine looks like. C:\oldgames\XCOMA\XCOMAPOC.EXE

do the same under setup EXE exept insted of XCOMAPOC.EXE you brows to SETUP.EXE in your apocs folder. ok go to the next step.

you dont realy need to do anything here exept fiddle with Cycles alittle (might not be needed) the default is 3000 but i run at 12000 (if you whant to know what these do go to the dosbox homepadge)

press next.

Now to create the Drives. press add

under mounttype let it be at drive

under select drive/CDROM/image or floppy to mount, you brows to your C:\oldgames dir (or whatever folder you created) mine looks like this c:\oldgames

driver label set it to C (dont know if its needed or not but do it anyway)

and under mounted Driver Letter chose C.

Check the box that says Enable Input output controll.

Ok Press OK

type add again

Change mount type to CDROM

under select drive/CDROM/image or floppy to mount, you brows to your CD in my case E:\

Set label to E (not sure if needed once again)

and set Mounted Drive letter to E (or to the same as your cdrom if you dont have your cd on E:)

Check the box that says Enable Input output controll.

Press OK.

Move to next step you can just skipp past all the sound setups just remember to keep your shoundblaster the same as dosbox and the game uses 220 7 1, I disabled speaker and disney sound btw. no need to unless you feal like it.

press next till D-fend says ALL DONE!!.

Now you should be able to just Klick the profile named APOC and then press run selected game.

Once again i suck at teaching so dont blame me!!!

THis works for me hope it works for you to.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
I've tried this but, when I try to install, it tries to check the CD speed and just sits there spinning. I have DVD drives. Any ideas?

Realy sorry for the late reply but i havnt checked this thred in ages. Sadly i do not know how to help you with this one since i never experiensed this problem myself.

Hope it worked out for you anyway

I've tried this but, when I try to install, it tries to check the CD speed and just sits there spinning. I have DVD drives. Any ideas?

ok i stumbled on the same problem on my laptop i solved it by just installing the game directly from the cd not using dosbox etc. im going to run the game through dosbox (and the setup) once its installd though. However i still cant use the usb mouse on my desktops only on the laptop for sme raeson so its not relay a solution in the long run unless i whana play on my laptop :)

Man - what a lot of trouble! I think I'll just keep my old Win98 computer around just to play XCOM apoc. Later this month I think I'll plug the old beast in a fire up the game!

Man - what a lot of trouble! I think I'll just keep my old Win98 computer around just to play XCOM apoc. Later this month I think I'll plug the old beast in a fire up the game!

well problem solved itselfe. i deleted everything and started from 0 and now it works again. yay!!