XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xenocide Questions and Answers

TonyART

Hi, as a big fan of the X-com games, I have been watching this site for a while with intrest :D

I want to know is are you going to sell the game commercially like other games I.E all over the world?

How much aprox is it going to cost? just a rough idea :D

and when is the relese date? :P ok wishfull thinking i know :)

Thanks Tony

1. This is an open source project so you will get this game FREE! It will be downloadable over the internet but it is not yet solved if some cd's are distributed by request. (with the cost of only the empty cd and posting charge.

2. Release date.. Ummm. Original idea was to get something done by the end of this year but I think all we have then is some working demo or beta version. Check this site for time to time and you'll get some hints about the release date ^_^

1. This is an open source project so you will get this game FREE!

We should not encourage the believe that Open Source means free of charge. Open Source is free in the sense of "free speech" - not "free beer".

It is absolutely within the scope to chage a fee for the usage of Open Source software. (iptables does with router manufacturers)

The fact that many projects do not charge anything doesn't count.

I believe that, under the GPL, our intellectual property is protected in that, what comes out of the project can never be sold by any corperation. I don't think we can sell it either. I think we can charge for support services, though.

I believe that, under the GPL, our intellectual property is protected in that, what comes out of the project can never be sold by any corperation.  I don't think we can sell it either.  I think we can charge for support services, though.

Yup. Fuxor is correct. We can't charge for the game itself, but if we were to make CDs of it and ship them to the legions of hungry gamers, then we could legally charge them for the cost of the CD and shipping/handling.

This game will cost as much as a typical distro of Linux: free if you download it all, a few bucks if you want a CD made by a 3rd party, a few bucks more for a CD, strategy guide, and whatever else a 3rd party decides to set up for purchase. But ultimately you can download the source code to edit as you like, and a functional game will eventually be completed and free to download as well.

Great, that's just what I wanted to hear.

Looks like I'll have the fortune to play this one, yet. I'm sure there are others like me whose internet service just...well...sucks.

Edited by The Master Maniac

oh sorry, also, could i email the link to any game magazines and they put it on their CD roms?

Of course if it's possible. Some magazines actually could be interested. I know one magazine in Finland that would probably put it to downloads section (a new mirror, yippee!) AND put it in a cdrom which they give with the magazine every now and then. It's just that this game will be so large that it needs at least 1 whole cd :Blush:

I KNOW that PCGamer would be very interested because there are many XCOM addicts amongst them :naughty: so if any help was required I am sure they would be happy to provide it - and even put a demo/ video of the game on the discs if it will be that big.... dvd *shakes head sorrowfully* even broadband will sruggle with that one!!

Ah well, better game then :D

i wouldn't mind. i mean, i got a dvd-rom and it's only use is for movies because no bloody game comes out on dvd (thus i have to put up with installing 2 or 3 cds). only one i found is ut2004, but dvd-edition ain't coming out here :cussing:

Yeah, I just got a DVD-burner so I don't mind either..

It seems we went through a similar argument when we said that a geforce4 (three year old product) was required to play xenocide. DVD-roms have been out for quite a few years. You can even buy a dvd-burner for $50.

I just bought my second dvd burner :P Both are in this machine. They come in very handy, like just last night I burned off 60gb of sg-1 episodes...

There will probably be several versions of Xenocide 1.0. One will include all the music we've ever created, a lot of prerendered cutscenes, depending on what method we use to run the planetview, there might be a lot of aerial textures, then the 'making of xenocide' video someone is sure to make, and whatever either junk we can stuff on it. Then there will be another version of Xenocide that has the bare essentials. It will probably fit on a CD and be the most downloaded version of the game.

Also, in case you guys didn't realize it, it will most likely be us making the DVDs and mailing them to people. Personally, I will be employeeing my little brother and sister in a sweatshop-style situation to churn out at least 500/day :devillaugh:

But, this is all guesswork, really. We'll see in a couple of years :)

You like stargate sg-1? sweet

As for this, the fact that some of us live all over the world means that will be very difficult to do. But as i said earlier, i will gladly take a beta version that i can download and write a portion of a strategy guide on(even with my poor 26 k connection. I got only 1200bps this morning :blink: )

I guess I have to get a DVD burner when the game is closer to completion.

I've got one. It's a pain in the butt to figure out. :P

As for the rest, we probably won't need a strat guide. After all, people can just log onto the forums for all the tips they need. :P Heck, we could even have a 'tips and tricks' section of the forums specifically for Xenocide.

That reminds me, we have to work in several unique little easter eggs that nobody is going to notice, and then drop vague hints as to their existance. Like, having a picture of an old style alien entertainment unit (You remember those red balls from ufo defense, don't you? :D) on the shell casings of the heavy cannon. :P

Something really obscure that people will find and amaze us with.

Also, the idea to ship it off to various gaming magazines has been brought up before. And it's a good one (imo.)

Lastly, SG1 Pwns all! heck, an SG1 game would almost be as good as Xcom.

I've only watched 3 SG-1 episodes, but I liked them, so when I saw this 60gb torrent that included all seven seasons of SG-1 (and the movie) I figured I'd jump on it. It took me 43 days to download it :)

crap. Jeeze, just go to fry's and by it there. So far, i am working on seeing every single episode, and need to see teh second episode of stargate atlantis

I have a DVD-ROM drive now. One that actually works, that is, as compared to my last attempt (disc go boom, disc frags innards, disc ticks me off). Downloading a finished Xenocide would be out of the question--25000bps is what I get on my best days. I'm not too cheap to upgrade, either--we don't even have cable TV out here, let alone broadband! Edited by The Master Maniac

did i already post here aobut my terrible internet connection?

Lets see:

On good days, i get maybe 28800bps.

On okay days, i get 264000 bps

On not so good days, i get 24000bps

On very rare and bad days, i'll get 9800 bps

On only one, one and only occasion, i got really lucky and got edit: 1200 bps.

I cannot see myself downloading every episode of stargate. i watch it monday. 43 days to download it. It would take me what, ohhh, a year maybe?

Also, in case you guys didn't realize it, it will most likely be us making the DVDs and mailing them to people. Personally, I will be employeeing my little brother and sister in a sweatshop-style situation to churn out at least 500/day

hmmmm. *imagines massive dvd factories, making the dvds and pressing xenocide onto them, at which point they are forced to put them in boxes*

Edited by blehm

crap.  Jeeze, just go to fry's and by it there.  So far, i am working on seeing every single episode, and need to see teh second episode of stargate atlantis

Stargate Atlantis is out?? :happybanana:

Gee, I liked the Finale of SG-1 so much... Imagine if we were to take it from there with a Xenocide MOD... That would REALLY rock!! :rock:

I mean, interplanetary ships and base-building...

When did it come out anyway...

I really need to get closer to town, I'm ½km short of being able to get Space channel... :crying:

Oh what the ...., I'l just download it if I can't watch it directly... no commercials!!

Edited by Paladin

My internet connection is really shoddy and half the time unvavailable... But i have an email account on a server in hongkong that wont go away. Is there any periodic (read, once a month) mailing lists about xenocide and xcom in general? Ive been addicted to xcom since it came out, i dont want to risk losing sight of something like this.

Lemme know if there is, so i can sign up. In case you can just send it yourself, my email is [email protected] (its spamproof, dont worry about it being harvested)

NOTE: If theres a way, please make the graphics and such scalable to run on minimal equipment (this would be a perfect laptop game i bet, but we know how horrible those vid cards are). It would suck if you needed the highend stuff to play it at all.

My internet connection is really shoddy and half the time unvavailable... But i have an email account on a server in hongkong that wont go away. Is there any periodic (read, once a month) mailing lists about xenocide and xcom in general? Ive been addicted to xcom since it came out, i dont want to risk losing sight of something like this.

Lemme know if there is, so i can sign up. In case you can just send it yourself, my email is [email protected] (its spamproof, dont worry about it being harvested)

NOTE: If theres a way, please make the graphics and such scalable to run on minimal equipment (this would be a perfect laptop game i bet, but we know how horrible those vid cards are). It would suck if you needed the highend stuff to play it at all.

Currently, Xenocide needs pretty modest requirements to run. Well within the range of most laptops that have come out within the last couple of years.

And yes, there is a Xenocide mailing list. Let me find it...I think you've got to submit feedback to sign up. I'm not really sure. I've never had to sign up. :P

I'll help right the strategy guide! :D

You'll help write it, right? :D

Is there any periodic (read, once a month) mailing lists about xenocide and xcom in general?

There is a form to join the mailing list on the main Xenocide webpage, but I went ahead and added your address for you.

if you read teh faq, you need a minimum of a radeon 8500. So it is pretty much a no when you ask if you need high end equipment. Higher up is prefered, but i guess you can live with radeons. But i think that there is some sort of bug that makes the game not run right if you use it.

The minimum system requirements are all going to change when the next alpha is released because we'll be using the OGRE engine. OGRE itself is capable of software and hardware acceleration rendering so depending on which you choose, and the resolution you choose, the requirements will vary and quite possibly be lower than they are now.

Thing is, my primary comp is a laptop with a massacred radeon IGP 340 (neither me or ATI have heard of an IGP model, something Hewlett-Crackard ( :pink: )patched together based on the ati radeon chip)

Some things run fine, but other things that SHOULD run fine hardly manage 1 fps!

IE: I can run Ghost Recon on medium settings, but i cant run Unreal... Diablo II runs like crap, ect... <_<

I'd be willing to help out on the strategy guide, although I would probably put a few bogus tips in just to see people's reactions.

Like..."Your common garden variety Spawn is actually extremely vulnerable to the stun prod. One hit will often incapacitate it..."

And..."Seeking the infamous Golden Heavy Plasma is extremely difficult, but worth it. Here is the spoiler on how you do it. You see, there is a special button you must press. It's not in the game itself, it's on the computer. It should have a picture of a circle with a line going up through it. You'll need to press this button while in a battle.

You'll notice that the aliens have completely disabled your command interface, and even taken away your cursor. You must move your men with the arrow keys. You're trying to head forwards, so the UP arrow is what you must press.

The golden heavy plasma map is huge, so it may take quite some time to reach it. When you do, the aliens will turn on your interface and give you the golden heavy plasma.

Stats on the Golden heavy plasma:

Damage: 666

Range: infinite

Accuracy: 115%

Ammunition: infinite

Weight: -1 pound

Other: If you look really carefully, you'll find the words "Iblis-The Man!" scrawled on the side of the gun."

And..."Seeking the infamous Golden Heavy Plasma is extremely difficult, but worth it. Here is the spoiler on how you do it. You see, there is a special button you must press. It's not in the game itself, it's on the computer. It should have a picture of a circle with a line going up through it. You'll need to press this button while in a battle.

You'll notice that the aliens have completely disabled your command interface, and even taken away your cursor. You must move your men with the arrow keys. You're trying to head forwards, so the UP arrow is what you must press.

The golden heavy plasma map is huge, so it may take quite some time to reach it. When you do, the aliens will turn on your interface and give you the golden heavy plasma.

Stats on the Golden heavy plasma:

Damage: 666

Range: infinite

Accuracy: 115%

Ammunition: infinite

Weight: -1 pound

Other: If you look really carefully, you'll find the words "Iblis-The Man!" scrawled on the side of the gun."

And then so many people would believe it, you would implement it in a future version of Xenocide, so that people would stop bugging you about how to find it, like Diablo and the cow level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...