XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Hay_i Need Same Help !?!

x9x6

Does the installer stop you from installing the game despite the files/buffers problem? With most modern computers (and I'm talking about computers that are about 6 years old here), you don't need the 20 files and 20 buffers to run the game. That, along with the cd speed, is just an idiosyncrasy of the installer.

If you can continue to the next step, do so.

Alternatively, go to Start > run and then type in sysedit.

Go to the config.sys window and enter the following on separate lines if they aren't already there:

dos=high, umb

device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys

files=40

Then save it. That should be enough to satisfy the installer. Buffers aren't necessary, but files are.

But if you must have it, just add buffers = 40 after files and you're all set. I use 40 rather than 20. Just being optimistic. Your computer doesn't really use these values anymore, but old dos programs like the Apocalypse installer still refers to them.

On a pure Dos, Windows 95 or 98 system, this will fix this problem easily. All you need is to reboot your system after the changes.

On an XP or other NT based system, you will need to edit a different file. Use Notepad and open a file in the following directory structure windows\system32\config.nt

Replace 'windows' with whatever path name your copy of windows is stored in.

Just enter the same lines as mentioned earlier. There'll be a lot of REM comments, which you can ignore. Just go to the bottom and enter those lines if they haven't already been entered.

The installer should complain about your CD next - ignore it.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

i do like that

REM

dos=high, umb

device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys

files = 40

buffers = 40

and nothing is going on

i still in the install go to the 91% and stop so i can play it

so what i got to do nothing work good !!!!!

:(

It looks like what you're facing is now is a completely different problem. The installer's locking up in the middle of the installation.

Have you tried using one of the smaller installation modes? There's three different types (smallest to largest), if I'm not mistaken.

- NKF

It looks like what you're facing is now is a completely different problem. The installer's locking up in the middle of the installation.

Have you tried using one of the smaller installation modes? There's three different types (smallest to largest), if I'm not mistaken.

- NKF

ho to get the smaller installation ?????????????

plz tell me

Don't you have a choice during the installation process whre you can choose the size of the installation? There should be one in the original installer program.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 2 weeks later...
hay guys

i need a little help to playing X-com Apocalypse look :

Files/Buffers the Required 20/20 but i have 40/0 (detected)

so i need to completes the install to play it

( i have win xp )

:(

go to start menu->Run->type in "sysedit.exe" (without the quotes)->hit ok

you should see several small windows inside a slightly larger one. find the one for config.sys and put in the following lines:

@echo off

buffers=20

files=20

now save and exit

try running apoc now... that'll fix your buffer/file problems.

The problem's gone past that part now and the installer is hanging just before it completes the installation. I'm really not entirely sure what would solve this part of the problem.

- NKF