XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Opening/closing Doors

SupSuper

it seems that in both UFO and TFTD, opening a door manually wastes less TUs than automatically.

when you move "through" a door, it automatically opens when u go through it and u use 6 TUs.

when you open it manually (stand in front of it and right-click it) you don't waste TUs nor move to the other side of the door.

this is an interesting fact since it can save ur men many time (opening a door manually doesn't alert any aliens on the other side) and their TUs to kill the aliens ;)

• 4 months later...

I've been wondering why some doors seemed to open by themselves when I walked next to them, and others opened when I walked through them. Now I know it's a result of my random clicking :)

Before, my entry 'tactics' consisted of having a team facing the door with gas cannons and shooting into the alien sub. Unsubtle, but it worked... :rolleyes:

I actually played Xcom 2 TFTD before I played Xcom UFO Defense. As far as the story goes, Xcom UFO defense is a more believable story than Xcom 2. They didn't have the time to make Xcom 2 properly so it was basically the same game with minor differences and improvements. As far as I know, these improvements are, melee weapons, opening doors, and you can view your aquanauts stats by clicking their badge in the equip screen before a mission. I am too used to these minor improvements though, so I play Xcom 2 instead of Xcom 1 usually.

But Xcom 2 has its bad points too. For example, in Xcom 1 the laser tank was actually a viable weapon, but the Xcom 2 Gauss equivalent is pretty much useless because it takes 50 Gauss ammo to rearm it, but no matter how many rounds you use, you always lose all 50 ammo. So it's 50 ammo every mission, the cost is simply too high considering the manufacturing bug that exists in both Xcom and Xcom 2 (Max 1 item manufactured per hour), each base would take over 2 days (50 hours) to make enough ammo for just one mission, and that's assuming you only bring one into the mission.

I set off an explosive device before any likely doors (uso entry doors for example) so that my men will have plenty of smoke to hide in. Then I charge in with vibroblades (or any other weapon) and cut them down.

I don't know, I have bad memories about smoke. It doesn't seem to help at all in terms of visibility.

Of course it doesn't help visibility. It reduces it! That's the whole point of kicking up a smoke cloud. :)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

You're kidding right?

If not, let me correct myself.

It doesn't help DECREASING the visibility is what I meant. Aliens sees me as good in smoke as they see without smoke. It seems that smoke only reduces humans sight range.

Of course I'm kidding. See that smily? Wait, I can't. How odd... oh well. ;)

In lots of occasions, I've found my chances of evading a shot are far better in a cloud of smoke than without. Of coures, smoke is not a 100% cloak of invisibility. Yes, the aliens can see some way into the smoke, but so can you. It's just that the aliens in TFTD have far better reactions, which often allows them to get a jump on you before you can react.

The one good thing about smoke screens is that the soldiers hiding in the screen need not see their targets to shoot back as long as someone else spots the aliens first.

It's just like armour. It's not a perfect defense against damage, but it certainly increase your chances of survival somewhat. Smoke is good for far - medium range enemies. Nearby aliens aren't fooled by it too much.

- NKF