XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Soldier, Unit Image Composition

Someone asked how these images are composed, so i decided to start a thread

so the info would be available to everybody.

Feel free to add information!

Euhm, the images in eg: xcom_0.pck are grouped in 8 frames (for each direction) or 8 frames for an animation, 3 die frames

each frame starts at the NORTH direction (so 0=north,1=northeast,2=east, etc)

Images are stored as BODY, LEGS, LEFTARM, RIGHTARM, DIE frames, sometimes FLYLEGS frames.

Then there are the sequences: STANDING, MOVING, CROUCHING, DYING, FLYING, maybe SLIDING

The arms themselves have 4 modes: FREEHANDS, HOLDLOW (only leftarm), HOLD2ARMS and HOLDHIGH (also leftarm)

Cheers

Ok, I'm having trouble understanding the order of some of these items, so I'm hoping you'll continue to lend your experience until I can get this nailed down. I've posted a little helper here so we can reference it. Hopefully I've done it correctly..

post-9090-1180282414_thumb.png

Ok, so looking at the image data I've got posted: some of the components are fairly obvious.

R1:C - LEGS, STANDING (each frame is a direction)

R2:A - LEGS, KNEELING (direction)

R2:B - BODY (direction)

R3-R10:B - LEGS, WALKING (each column is an animation step, each row is a direction)

special cases:

R12:A1-A3 are death animations

R12:A4-B3 are female body replacements

I can't believe they never bothered to make other models for the soldiers. A dark haired, or darker skinned model would have been really cool and help identify soldiers better. Oh well. That's what modding's for.

OK, the big problem I have is with identifying the arms. I've tried to understand based on what you posted earlier, but I'm having trouble with the order. Any help would be awesome :)

I can't believe they never bothered to make other models for the soldiers. A dark haired, or darker skinned model would have been really cool and help identify soldiers better. Oh well. That's what modding's for.

Cool That's a great idea!!

OK, the big problem I have is with identifying the arms. I've tried to understand based on what you posted earlier, but I'm having trouble with the order. Any help would be awesome :)

Well in the attached image you'll see leftarm and rightarm indicated for the "standing" sequence.

If you look at the images closely the left arm is indicated with a "red patch"

and the right arm with a "blue patch"

All the other arms are for the "moving" sequence, each grouped in 8 frames for each direction.

If u look at C1-R2, this is left arm for the North direction (8 frames),

then u have the right arm for the north direction and then the north east direction and so on....

post-14153-1180286025_thumb.png

Ok, the blue/red tag on the arms helps a ton. Can't believe I didn't notice that.

What about the various orders of 'types' of arms (you called them FREEHANDS, HOLDLOW (only leftarm), HOLD2ARMS and HOLDHIGH (also leftarm))

In my image data (after R2 anyways), section A is always right arm, section C is always left arm.

R1:A - right arm (used when standing?)

R2:C - left arm (used when standing?)

R2:C - left arm (North East? A1-A8 are animation frames?)

R3:A - right arm (North East? A1-A8 are animation frames?)

Then each category is just a different direction.

Also, and I've taken this image from the xcom0 PCK (courtesy of Daishiva's little apps) - and my first direction facing in each case appears to be facing North East (taken by looking at the legs and torso). North actually appears to be last. Was that just a typo, or are we looking at different data? :)

North East (taken by looking at the legs and torso). North actually appears to be last. Was that just a typo, or are we looking at different data? :)

Well yeah i guess everybody can interpret it in a different way,

you do whatever u want, that's the freedom you have being a programmer! :)

But it isn't a typo, i use 0=north

And if you do some xcom research you will see the different handstates

while holding different weapons

Cheers!

North East (taken by looking at the legs and torso). North actually appears to be last. Was that just a typo, or are we looking at different data? :)

Well yeah i guess everybody can interpret it in a different way,

you do whatever u want, that's the freedom you have being a programmer! :)

But it isn't a typo, i use 0=north

And if you do some xcom research you will see the different handstates

while holding different weapons

Cheers!

Ah, I see - north is north east because of the isometric view. I just always took "up" to mean North.

What about the various orders of 'types' of arms (you called them FREEHANDS, HOLDLOW (only leftarm), HOLD2ARMS and HOLDHIGH (also leftarm))

SEQ,BODYPART,IMAGEOFFSET

STAND,RARM,8 -> FREEHANDS

STAND,RARM,232 -> HOLDLOW

STAND,RARM248 -> HOLDS2HANDS

STAND,RARM,256 -> HOLDHIGH

I think ?

c image 4 proper offsets

Cheers

post-14153-1180385862_thumb.png

Ah, I see - north is north east because of the isometric view. I just always took "up" to mean North.

I remember when i was looking at the ufo2000 source code that they use a different

approach, in map.h:

enum DIRECTION

{

// The first 8 directions are plain directions, they mean a direction where soldier

// looks to or a direction of movement

DIR_EAST = 0,

DIR_NORTHEAST = 1,

DIR_NORTH = 2,

DIR_NORTHWEST = 3,

DIR_WEST = 4,

DIR_SOUTHWEST = 5,

DIR_SOUTH = 6,

DIR_SOUTHEAST = 7,

// Next 3 can only be used as directions of movement

DIR_NULL = 8,

DIR_UP = 9,

DIR_DOWN = 10,

// Number of directions

DIR_NUM = 11

};

So that's what I mean that each developer implements it as they see fit!