XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Unit Concepts

Jamaru

its just his torso that needs a little mostion added, an up/down bobbing like youve added on the north facing movement should do fine.

impressive. he walks like a ufo2k character should :D

and if you want to mirror the frames, i can swoop in an unique-ify them so it they look like the standing frames only moving

ok, I added the bump and did a little bit of stuff to the torso

and here's east .. too many bumps?

Edited by brian-o

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok.. looks like I'm done.. I don't think I could have finished it all today if it weren't for being entertained by spurgeons sermons... should I post the final frames here or e-mail them somewhere?

these animated ones have fewer colors than the actual ones, and the animated ones are enlarged for viewing..

Edited by brian-o

Looks to me like the Charlie Brown Christmas dance scene.

Sorry. It looks good nonetheless. Just seeing them move in place looks like a dance party. Now all we need is Michael Jackson from the 80s, and we got ourselves a music video here.

Good work; hope to disintigrate these guys soon by the next beta.

:chainsaw:

Edited by Prowler2885

Darkness Falls Across The Land

The Midnite Hour Is Close At Hand

Creatures Crawl In Search Of Blood

To Terrorize Y'awl's Neighbourhood

And Whosoever Shall Be Found

Without The Soul For Getting Down

Must Stand And Face The Hounds Of heck

And Rot Inside A Corpse's Shell

The Foulest Stench Is In The Air

The Funk Of Forty Thousand Years

And Grizzy Ghouls From Every Tomb

Are Closing In To Seal Your Doom

And Though You Fight To Stay Alive

Your Body Starts To Shiver

For No Mere Mortal Can Resist

The Evil Of The Thriller

:P

good work guys =b

post-7181-1135602470.gif

Edited by ShellTox

• 1 month later...

New unit idea, I know it could use some tuning in its looks.

Hover droid, created by X-com research team while flying suits were still a dream. Unfortunately it did not see production before the flying suits were actually deployed due to it's complex mechanics and the lack of funding since x-com prefered develloping the flying suit. However it has been redesigned lately to cope for the heavy casualities X-com operatives are suffering on the battlegrounds, those units are inexpensive, not really well armored but can get there when the budget doesn't allow for flying suits. Plus, they are easily repaired, as opposed to human beings.

They feature an anti-grav unit to fly and small jet propellers to move.

They also got articulated hard points and storage compartments to carry similar equipment as x-com operatives do and for attack tasks.

They are remote controlled from x-com's HQ.

Hover_droid.png

Edited by nachtwolf

Jet/propellers = inefficient. Use some method of directing the antigravity propulsion (ie, slide the 'focus' of the AG backwards and it moves forward) that doesn't rely on other propulsion methods.

:wink1:

• 2 weeks later...

A different idea for the Muton varients. Maybe the Plain Green(grunt), The helmet, boots, and shoulder pads Red(commander), and instead a Plain Red for the entirly new one, perhapse a Green with helmet, boots, and shoulder pads. The xcom equivilent would be an Alien Leader. It makes sense that only the Alien commanders are a certain color.

Its just an idea in case anybody wants to do it.

A different idea for the Muton varients. Maybe the Plain Green(grunt), The helmet, boots, and shoulder pads Red(commander), and instead a Plain Red for the entirly new one, perhapse a Green with helmet, boots, and shoulder pads. The xcom equivilent would be an Alien Leader. It makes sense that only the Alien commanders are a certain color.

Its just an idea in case anybody wants to do it.

Unfortunately ufo2000 can't include this sort of "modified from X-com original" units in the distributive because of copyright issues.

Due to copyright reasons as mentioned it will have to be placed as a 'add-on' from xcom fans in this forum. :wink1: Currently new unit implementation is not perfected so it will have to be considered like all others, the 'chameleon' unit. Edited by Kratos

• 3 weeks later...
There seems to be some pretty cool hand to hand weapons made but are they really useful? How about a new unit, that has much higher movement and stamina stats, and has claws or something. Something like the aliens from "alien", or genestealers from the warhammer game. I'd really like to tear into someone at close range. :fensing:

at the moment H2H weapons are limited, i'd like to also see an ambush for the melee weapons too that allows a unit to move and attack with a melee weapon. Currently they are more for heat of the battle melee when you suddenly find your unit weaponless and standing in front of a bad guy.

EDIT: oops, my bad, thought this was the weapon discussion thread.

Edited by Sporb

Hey look, UFO2K Zombie is finished and ready for action. Bar Crouch of course (Could a zombie really crouch without falling over?) Which will be done soon. Drop him into the chameleon unit in extensions and he'll be usable. Edited by Sporb

all the chameleon skins do for some reason - i think its a programming/scripting bug/somthing not quite implemented just yet. Thanks to brian-o for his help in animating zombie.

EDIT: Zombie crouch added, also fixed some white spaces i missed.

Edited by Sporb

There are male and female soldiers... Sectoids are clones.... And (if I remember right but I probably don't :P ) the mutons are males(really dumb ones at that)... Snakemen are both (chrysalids too...) ...

Also the FM Muton would be use ful in a certain scenario... (comander survival) and It would be a meele only creature. Throw a unique twist in the game...

Edited by Blitzen

If we did make female aliens then it will have to be a mod outside of the ufo2000 distributive due to copyright reasons.

Now concerning that scenario, I doubt we have that much flexibility at this moment to make specific units restricted. But maybe light will shed on this when scenarios can be created through a more flexible environment, such as the lua.

Edited by Kratos

currently it is no longer possible to use 'invisible' items as a blank PNG now displays a bizzare mashing of a bunch of other images instead of a clean and blnk png

No but a inconspicuous 1x1 pixel floating would do. I used that on the cloaked disk mine for Aurora.

that will work, im not sure if the garbled images has somthing to do with the png compression too, i will look into it. Pain and other low level graphic editors displa a compressed png with transparancy in exactly the same manor as this bug, i wonder if the game is getting confused with the png data somhow?

Edited by Sporb

This is what happens when Exo underestimates his own zombies. :D

((This replay probably won't work with most versions, as it was made with an alpha from Judeau.))

Zombieattack.zip

((Might just be me, but I think they might have too much armour. *shrug*))

Edited by Exo2000

All units are under the 'Chameleon' unit which has pre-coded armor. If you want less armor, you'll have to wait until lua implementation is fully complete since all custom units are drawn to one. :) It's a muton corpse because the Chameleon unit acquires it in the internal code which overrides the lua code (or lua code is not functioning this).

Replays...apparently they stopped working in r1000 so there really isn't any point in using them. And if the user does not have the zombie OR Judeau's alpha version, then it will not work properly anyway. :(

It's a muton corpse because the Chameleon unit acquires it in the internal code which overrides the lua code (or lua code is not functioning this).

A simple answer to this is that the muton skin is the "else" option in a "switch".

• 1 month later...

Here's a new unit.

Hover droid, created by X-com research team while flying suits were still a dream. Unfortunately it did not see production before the flying suits were actually deployed due to it's complex mechanics and the lack of funding since x-com prefered develloping the flying suit. However it has been redesigned lately to cope for the heavy casualities X-com operatives are suffering on the battlegrounds, those units are inexpensive, not really well armored but can get there when the budget doesn't allow for flying suits. Plus, they are easily repaired, as opposed to human beings.

They feature an anti-grav unit to fly and small jet propellers to move, this solution proved cheaper than anti-grav shifting.

They also got articulated hard points and storage compartments to carry similar equipment as x-com operatives do and for attack tasks.

They are remote controlled from x-com's HQ.

Unzip in your extensions/unit-chameleon folder.

EDIT : Possible known bug... may show as a Zombie unit for remote player... I have no idea why. If this occurs, please tell me.

hoverdroid_pub.jpg

hover.zip

Edited by nachtwolf

EDIT : Possible known bug... may show as a Zombie unit for remote player... I have no idea why. If this occurs, please tell me.

That's because we don't have real custom units support now. So there is one unit type 'chameleon' with his stats defined. Appearances for this unit are not synchronized and it may even look differently for different players. It does not cause any problems but the appearance as the stats of the unit are the same anyway.

That's because we don't have real custom units support now. So there is one unit type 'chameleon' with his stats defined. Appearances for this unit are not synchronized and it may even look differently for different players. It does not cause any problems but the appearance as the stats of the unit are the same anyway.

Thanks Serge, I was really wondering where that bug was coming from.

I tested many things with LUA and nothing worked as of yet.

You just made me wonder a bit less and work a bit more :D

Thank you Ooo guru of computer wisdom :P

BTW, new concept :

mobile_arty.jpg

Edited by nachtwolf

• 4 weeks later...
They feature an anti-grav unit to fly and small jet propellers to move, this solution proved cheaper than anti-grav shifting.

Well, depending on the source of power (which is almost certainly Elerium) one would argue that Anti-Grav shifting would be more efficient than jet props. But that's just my opinion. :wink1:

Not really the place to discuss the intricacies of the units and such. The Unit hovers, We dont care why for now, that can be added later in a description blurb. Speaking of which, maybe its time we devised some character blurbs describing the creatures and their nature? (IEEE new thread) We could even start a ufo2000 monster - o - pedia (ufopedia without the ufo bit).

Anyone got any news on new units? They may not be fully fledged but they will be eventually and it would be nice to have a wide range of units to use when its all ready.

Edited by Sporb

Also, where's the actual download for it? I don't see it! :(

I see the inventory-screen style picture, but nothing else.

Link is posted... that was weird... I don't remember removing this link.

Was it there?

Also, where's the actual download for it? I don't see it! :(

I see the inventory-screen style picture, but nothing else.

Link is posted... that was weird... I don't remember removing this link.

Was it there?

I'm not sure, but people claimed to have downloaded it, so it must have been.

i dont recall there was a link to the hover drone - i would have tested it otherwise ...

True, my bad then