XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Quick Tutorial Should Be Added In The Next Release

Exoskeletor

Lets asume that there is a new user that hasnt much experience with online games and this is his first time that he want to play this game.

It would be nice if after the game installation a quick tutorial comes up(nothing special5-6 pages with 1 image on every page and comments)

for example in the first page: click on "connect to an internet server"

in the 2nd page: enter your username and password (if you cant write in english press F9)

in the 3rd page:

Chat with the players and double click on 1 to play with him

in the 4th page:

With left click add your players, right control edit them, after you are ready click F4 for save and then press send and start.

in the 5th page:

a photo from the soldier edit with a note:

remember alien weapons are greater than human.

and cannon is greater than rifle, rifle than pistol

You can always find this tutorial on the game folder (tutorial.something)

Maybe those notes are in the readme and maybe some notes that you are going to say exists on the game but this still looks usefull for a new player. he will be sure that he will not have any problems (so if he find on not to leave)

And of course is very pretty

I can make something like that if you need my help (this was just an example)

Edited by Exoskeletor

I don't know...some people will still ask similar questions and not know there is a tutorial. Anyway, I prepared a small tutorial that covers the basics on what to do when going and being on the server as well as english\russian letters explanation.

I'll help with this, I have some free time and I can write html. I'll post a list of things to cover in another post soon, to discuss what everyone thinks is neccessary info and to build up a list of FAQ to pre-empt.

Alright here's my first draft. Can't do a chat room screen shot beccause the server is empty right now. The draft is available at:

http://th15.dark-halo.com/UFO2000QSG/UFO2000QuickStart.htm

It comes up to about 53kb so it wouldn't affect the download size for the installer very much. Additionally, it could be hosted online.

Please highlight any issues I missed and any typos so I can correct them.

Edited by th15

• 1 month later...
I'll help with this, I have some free time and I can write html. I'll post a list of things to cover in another post soon, to discuss what everyone thinks is neccessary info and to build up a list of FAQ to pre-empt.

Alright here's my first draft. Can't do a chat room screen shot beccause the server is empty right now. The draft is available at:

http://th15.dark-halo.com/UFO2000QSG/UFO2000QuickStart.htm

It comes up to about 53kb so it wouldn't affect the download size for the installer very much. Additionally, it could be hosted online.

Please highlight any issues I missed and any typos so I can correct them.

Thanks, can you package all the needed files into a zip archive and attach it here: http://ufo2k.lxnt.info/mantis/view.php?id=323

We will add it to the installer of the game and also to the webpage.

Is the time limit default really at 180 seconds?

Maybe you should add a comment that it's better to play without one in the first game, and how to paractice a little in hotseat mode.

Furthermore, you could link to (or implement) the strategy guide posted somewhere here. Or at least some basi tips like CTRL and ALT functions, and that they should take cover instead of spending their last TUs firing.

And all ofl this in place of the "tip of the day" button (which currently contains only the homepage's adress afaik).