XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Installation File

kafros

By the way, the exam period has started (tomorrow I'll be examined on "Communication Networks") so I'll probably not have time to improve/correct the installer or write an article, because time is tighter than ever.

By the way, the exam period has started (tomorrow I'll be examined on "Communication Networks") so I'll probably not have time to improve/correct the installer or write an article, because time is tighter than ever.

Are the latest source files in your ftp directory, or are those outdated?

Thanks!

Interesting - I just gave it a go, and it doesn't really seem to compile... did I miss sth? Or, to be more precise, do you have any other software installed than the NSIS, or, did you change sth after your last successful compilation?

Function: "DirectX_Check"
Invalid command: GetVersion::WindowsName
!include: error in script: ".\Includes\DirectX check.nsh" on line 23
Error in script "E:\PXenocide\trunk\trunk\Xenocide\bin\x86\Xenocide Install.nsi" on line 43 -- aborting creation process

Thanks, that was in fact the case.

Now, I have ironed out some compiler warnings and removed the CEGUI.log from the install list, since it is a file to be created on the users system.

the Installer got a flashy icon, tell me if you like it (it is pretty dark, and might not be noticed as installer icon on the first glimpse) or if we should go back to the old orange generic NSIS icon.

The Windows installer problem has been removed by adding another (andIf) with the second allowed version number.

Installation log is now written to install.log

Everything works, however, interestingly enough, the install.log is empty now. I am not entirely sure as to why this is.

The following plug ins are needed:

GetVersion

HwInfo

ZipDLL

The code and all the subdirectories are to be placed in the x86 directory.

Please find attached the most recent version of the installer code in a zip file.

Installer_source.zip

Edit: updated on 16.06.08, 15:30

Edited by Mad

The Dumplog function was broken after the line-merge, reverted to old version

I've corrected the 2 and only warnings at the globe texture download section, some changes in the labels actually (I don't recall leaving any warnings in the latest version, but anyway)

I've improved the MSI checking part, the installer will automatically skip it if the user has WinVista, and includes the complete range of MSI 3.1 versions used on Win2000/XP (until this very day)

Concerning the icons, I would recommend:

- To make the arrow a little bit smaller

- Move it a bit to the upper - upper-left, so it won't cover the "Project: Xenocide" text

- Give it a black outline

- Give it a bright green colour for the installer and bright red one for the uninstaller

It would also be nice if someone from the AWD could supply us with graphics for the installer. If you can, we'll upload the files currently used and you can replace them with xenocide-specific ones

Edited by kafros

The Dumplog function was broken after the line-merge, reverted to old version

interesting. did you change sth. else? When I first tried to compile it, NSIS forced me to do the line merge - otherwise it wouldn't compile at all.

I've improved the MSI checking part, the installer will automatically skip it if the user has WinVista, and includes the complete range of MSI 3.1 versions used on Win2000/XP (until this very day)

Which are exactly the two I already put in... <_ but i must say am surprised that it works with an orif from the logic point of view should only work andif flawless either one these puzzles me a bit... seems nsis is quite forgiving...>

Concerning the icons, I would recommend:

- To make the arrow a little bit smaller

- Move it a bit to the upper - upper-left, so it won't cover the "Project: Xenocide" text

- Give it a black outline

- Give it a bright green colour for the installer and bright red one for the uninstaller

If I make the arrow any more smaller, you'll not see it anymore. I chose blue since most people associate a blue arrow with installation (check other installers, it is the most common color). Nevertheless, if I should have the time I can try to switch the color and make a black outline. But it's not top priority right now - honestly it's quite some work - at least with my program, so I 'm not to keen to repeat it all again.

It would also be nice if someone from the AWD could supply us with graphics for the installer. If you can, we'll upload the files currently used and you can replace them with xenocide-specific ones

That would indeed be nice.

interesting. did you change sth. else? When I first tried to compile it, NSIS forced me to do the line merge - otherwise it wouldn't compile at all.
Nothing at all. It's 100% valid NSIS syntax.

Which are exactly the two I already put in... <_ but i must say am surprised that it works with an orif from the logic point of view should only work andif flawless either one these puzzles me a bit... seems nsis is quite forgiving...>Sorry but I didn't understand anything..? How it works flawlessly with "either one"? And which ones? xD

That's because I don't have access to the source right now (university labs), if you could elaborate I'd really appreciate it.

Actually, NSIS is not forviging at all. You can't use C-like if-else-while structures, and the logiclib "library" is a bit restrictive on the format of the macros you can use.

Nothing at all. It's 100% valid NSIS syntax.

Maybe something was damaged on transfer. However it may be - It didn't compile because the (first of the later merged) line wasn't closed.

Which are exactly the two I already put in... <_ but i must say am surprised that it works with an orif from the logic point of view should only work andif flawless either one these puzzles me a bit... seems nsis is quite forgiving...>

Sorry but I didn't understand anything..? How it works flawlessly with "either one"? And which ones? xD

That's because I don't have access to the source right now (university labs), if you could elaborate I'd really appreciate it.

Actually, NSIS is not forviging at all. You can't use C-like if-else-while structures, and the logiclib "library" is a bit restrictive on the format of the macros you can use.

As I alredy stated before I already fixed the MSI problem (which you later fixed again). I used an AndIf expression, which I would think would be the more logical choice (at least if NSIS follows traditional programming logic), and it worked perfectly, you used an OrIf expression for the same thing (checking if one of the two allowed msi packages is installed), and it worked just as well. I was just curious as to why it works in both cases. Whatever. nvm.

As I alredy stated before I already fixed the MSI problem (which you later fixed again). I used an AndIf expression, which I would think would be the more logical choice (at least if NSIS follows traditional programming logic), and it worked perfectly, you used an OrIf expression for the same thing (checking if one of the two allowed msi packages is installed), and it worked just as well. I was just curious as to why it works in both cases. Whatever. nvm.

${Elseif} $winVer == 'XP'
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.1823" # Same functionality as v2435
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.1830" # WinXP x64
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.2435" # Bugfix for KB898628
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.4033" # Win2000, Hotfix released 5/22/07
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.4039" # WinXP x86, Hotfix released 5/22/07
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.4042" # WinXP x64, Hotfix released 5/22/07
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4001.5512" # SP3
  DetailPrint '* MSI Installer version found: "$0", but is older than the required version: "3.1.4000.2435"'

If you find windows XP and the user doesn't have any of the supported MSI 3.1 versions, tell him to download it. Dunno where OrIf is located or why it's "the same thing". Either way, the VERY latest version is uploaded again on my FTP folder, use that one if you may :)

${Elseif} $winVer == 'XP'
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.1823" # Same functionality as v2435
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.1830" # WinXP x64
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.2435" # Bugfix for KB898628
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.4033" # Win2000, Hotfix released 5/22/07
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.4039" # WinXP x86, Hotfix released 5/22/07
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.4042" # WinXP x64, Hotfix released 5/22/07
  ${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4001.5512" # SP3
  DetailPrint '* MSI Installer version found: "$0", but is older than the required version: "3.1.4000.2435"'

If you find windows XP and the user doesn't have any of the supported MSI 3.1 versions, tell him to download it. Dunno where OrIf is located or why it's "the same thing". Either way, the VERY latest version is uploaded again on my FTP folder, use that one if you may :)

Good work. OrIf was located in my version (you know, I posted it above) of the MSI check routine. Seriously, did you even look at the code or did you just assume you could do better anyway? But hey, whatever, it's the result that counts. so nevermind the whole business. Again, good work - I'll upload an updated installer asap.

edit: Oh, could you please post the files on the forum next time. FTP is a nice thing, but I'd rather have the files together with the discussion - there they can't get lost. Thanks :)

Edited by Mad

Good work. OrIf was located in my version (you know, I posted it above) of the MSI check routine. Seriously, did you even look at the code or did you just assume you could do better anyway? But hey, whatever, it's the result that counts. so nevermind the whole business. Again, good work - I'll upload an updated installer asap.

The latest version of yours is at post #56, and it includes

${If} $0 != "3.1.4000.2435"

${AndIf} $0 != "3.1.4000.4039"

${AndIf} $winVer == 'XP'

Goto installMSI

${Else}

DetailPrint '* MSI Installer version is OK ($0)! Installation can continue.'

Goto End

${EndIf}

I worked on that one. Now, if there was a newer one (after post 56) and I still miss it, then it's an eye problem and I apologize :).

In addition, improvements are always welcome, no?

We DEFINITELY aren't in contention about anything, I just don't see where the problem is. Really, I can't find any OrIf anywhere. Honestly O_o

EDIT:

Oh Oh Oh, I just noticed the commented code! Really sorry about that :(

Concerning that

${If} $0 != "3.1.4000.2435"

$(OrIf) $0 != "3.1.4000.4039"

${AndIf} $winVer == 'XP'

I think it is flawed. I don't know the precendence table for this NSIS library, but I'm pretty sure it is the same as anywhere else (logic is logic, you know). In that case, the following is what really happens (in addition to this excellent precendence table of C operators):

When two or more logic operators are present in a search query, the order in which they are processed is known as precedence. Normally, NOT is processed before AND, and OR is processed last. If a query has two or more operators of equal precedence, the leftmost operator is processed first.

So, your code will be translated as "If the version found is different from <...>.2435 and the windows version is XP, OR the version found is different from <...>.4039 and the windows version is XP...". That is flawed, if the version is different from 2435, the logical statement is true, and it won't bother to check the rest.

In my version, it checks whether NO element from the version set exists, which is what we want.

Confusion solved I suppose :D

edit: Oh, could you please post the files on the forum next time. FTP is a nice thing, but I'd rather have the files together with the discussion - there they can't get lost. Thanks :)

Agreed!

Edited by kafros

Krafos,

I've asked MindStormMaster to grant you write access to the Subversion repository, so that you can store your installer and progress there.

Which I guess makes you a member of the programming team. If you want it.

Thank you very much! :)

(btw, it's KAFRos :P)

edit:

I've been checking around for the whole directx 9.0c issue, and I found THIS and this (look at the comments)

* There's also a nice discussion going on on the coding horrors blog (a wonderful blog, don't miss it). So, checking for the 32rd dll is enough I guess

* In addition, I'll add an OR check in the XNA section, I'll make it check the common files folder.

* Last but not least (I'm not sure if I've already changed it) I'll let the installer go on with .Net 2 "vanilla", I think the SP1 update isn't necessary (i'll check that on my VM)

edit:

Ok, done the changes. I've also added a Table of contents, just search the section you want and you'll get there in no time :)

Will do some final changes and I'll upload it on SVN

edit:

"Authorization failed", maybe I only have access to the asset's branch and not the XNA one. Eitherway, I'm uploading the latest package here

edit (once again):

I just noticed the PM, hey I never knew I had art-asset access xD. Nevertheless, I tried 4 passwords with username kafros and it didn't work, dunno...

PROGRESS:

Ok, did some tests on the VM. MSI 3.1 is VITAL. It's needed for .Net 2.0 and .Net 2.0 SP1. And, without .Net2, you can't install the XNA runtimes ;)

So, I'll make the installer automatically abort after notifying the user with a message box that the MSI download page will open and that he's required to install it before running the installer. I'm removing the attachment for now until I correct this

Final edit:

OK, I'm happy with the MSI procedure and now the XNA installation works correctly (it even shows a progress bar and doesn't require ANY user interaction).

I'm uploading the installer source here, let's hope it'll be the last version for some time :P

Thanks for your valuable help Mad :)

Installer_source__18_6_08.zip

Edited by kafros

Very good work. I'll put it on the svn - let's hope your write access will work in the future :)

- ToDo: Xenocide produces Savegames in the "My Documents" folder - installer should ask if player wants to keep those, or if they should be deleted.

Edited by Mad

It's something wrong with microsoft links. Sometimes direct links work sometimes they don't. I don't know why something like this could happen, but I guess it's either session-related or has something to do with the URL (information provided etc).

That was the main reason I searched for a mirror system.

I commented on this problem on the error thread but I removed it as it was offtopic (noticed by Azrael, I didn't really think about it when I posted).

So, the solution would be to check what the function returns. If the HTTP message is different from 200 OK, then something went wrong. So, there are various solutions to it. I think the best two would be:

1) To show a messagebox to the user, telling him that the installer couldn't contact the server, and that the download page will open automatically once he presses OK. So, the user will press the download button, and everything will be fine

2) Another solution would be to retry. Chances are that a different server will be selected. So, let's say that we'll try as many times as the number of mirrors (or two times the number of mirrors), or set a timeout (I'm not sure how that could happen, maybe check the system hour).

Well, if we want to keep it simple, I'd say to use solution 1. Very fast, very simple, and will always work.

Oh, and the other feature I mentioned at the other thread: Let's remove the verbose output when installing files. It just wastes space. We'll just replace it with a Detailprint "Installing main program files..." and a message "Main program files installed!" when we're done and all will be fine.

Oh, and the other feature I mentioned at the other thread: Let's remove the verbose output when installing files. It just wastes space. We'll just replace it with a Detailprint "Installing main program files..." and a message "Main program files installed!" when we're done and all will be fine.

Yea, might be an idea. You can't read the verbose anyway... ^_^

Regarding XNA refresh - I would suggest a third, possibly much easier thing to do - and it is basically what you wanted to do in the first place - let's put it on the Xenocide ftp. Anyway, a retry if sth does not download wouldn't hurt either.

Very nice, thank you. I've changed the XNA download path to a non-public one, so that slipping us an infected version or anything of that sorts gets a bit more difficult. New version is in the svn now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Seems like it is necessary to keep the installer up to date all the time...

I haven\'t kept track of your progress for a year or so, and I decided to give a try to the new progress release. Unfortunately the installer recognised my Windows Installer 4.5 as an older version than the required 3.2. I\'ve downloaded the zip version though, and trying it right now, I just wanted to let you know about this issue - in case it really is an issue, and not an intended restriction.

Keep up the good work!

New Version numbers can be found here: http://blogs.msdn.com/windows_installer_te...5-versions.aspx

New version of Installation script:

Xenocide_Install.rar

Edited by Mad

Indeed, thanks Mad

Manual update is easier and less error-prone that creating an automated script that has to search for the needed files, check their version etc. The right update time is a problem, but that be corrected on the first complaint.

Concerning the DirectX, I cannot understand why we didn't include the Web Installer in our package from the start. It's 300KB large, we include it in our installation package, it's executed during installation, it updates all the missing files, and everyone will be automatically updated to the latest version, including all the old ones in the process. No more complex DirectX checks, no user interaction, no problem.

Concerning the DirectX, I cannot understand why we didn't include the Web Installer in our package from the start. It's 300KB large, we include it in our installation package, it's executed during installation, it updates all the missing files, and everyone will be automatically updated to the latest version, including all the old ones in the process. No more complex DirectX checks, no user interaction, no problem.

I guess because

a) it is difficult to impossible to let the web installer work in the background without user interaction and

B) because it requires WGA check, and there might be users out there who have a problem with that (for various reasons)

a. It's an MSI package, so I guess we already have a solution (no user interaction but with a popup-window, no user interaction and without any windows, or requiring a MINIMUM user interaction). Cmon, it won't hurt anyone to click "next" and then "done".

b. that only applies when you want to download it from the official site. There are some web installers around and they run without any issues. In addition, we download it from the official site (at least I can) and then we include it.

Edited by kafros

a. It's an MSI package, so I guess we already have a solution (no user interaction but with a popup-window, no user interaction and without any windows, or requiring a MINIMUM user interaction). Cmon, it won't hurt anyone to click "next" and then "done".

b. that only applies when you want to download it from the official site. There are some web installers around and they run without any issues. In addition, we download it from the official site (at least I can) and then we include it.

I thought that running the installer would also require WGA? Downloading is not the problem. If you think this can be included without any more windows popping up, I am all for it.

• 10 months later...

TODO (after October the 5th):

1) Include the DirectX web installer and run it everytime.

2) Change the Installer, .Net and Windows.

For those who care to know, I've found an NSIS header that provides string tokenization support (see the C strtok function). So, instead of checking for specific versions, we can easily perform inequality checks.

3) In case it's not straightforward to check the windows version (in number form :P), we will "inverse" the current windows check (if it's not Win9x, it'll work :P).

4) We'll upload a plugin archive in our SVN, it'll make things easier for other developers (individual download of plugins is a small waste of time).

When I come back to Athens (I'm in my home town now) I'll check the previous posts and see if there's something else to be done. If you remember something, feel free to post it!

TODO (after October the 5th):

1) Include the DirectX web installer and run it everytime.

2) Change the Installer, .Net and Windows.

For those who care to know, I've found an NSIS header that provides string tokenization support (see the C strtok function). So, instead of checking for specific versions, we can easily perform inequality checks.

3) In case it's not straightforward to check the windows version (in number form :P), we will "inverse" the current windows check (if it's not Win9x, it'll work :P).

4) We'll upload a plugin archive in our SVN, it'll make things easier for other developers (individual download of plugins is a small waste of time).

When I come back to Athens (I'm in my home town now) I'll check the previous posts and see if there's something else to be done. If you remember something, feel free to post it!

Very good list, especially #3 might be a good idea in any case, since it will ensure a working installer even after we've stopped working on PX

• 2 weeks later...

Ready at last...

DONEs (at least what I can recall right now):

* DirectX web installer always runs, and the XNA redistributable installer is included in the Xeno installer (and runs when needed).

* The installer only refuses to run if Win9x is detected.

* MSI check improved

* install.log improved

* New Installer AND Uninstaller icons. I feel proud.

Bugs/Todos:

* For some reason, xenocide.exe doesn't use Game.ico. Don't know why.

* At section (4.2):

/* TODO: Replace with the real folder

RMDir /r "$0\"

*/

* Where should Brave New Era G98 be put? What should be its "spritefont name"? For some reason, Visual Studio couldn't find the font, so I replaced it with Times New Roman.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Mad, I don't have SVN access, so that's what I'd like you to do (if you may):

- Rename the "Installer" folder (at http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/xna/) to "Installers".

- Make a new folder at http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/xna/Installers called "Old NSIS installer".

- Move "Icons", "Includes", "Xenocide Install.nsi" and "license.txt" to "Old NSIS installer".

- Make a new folder called "Current Installer".

- Unzip the attached zip (it's the installer's newest source) in "Current Installer".

Thank you.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I won't have much free time for some days (maybe weeks) so I won't be able to work on the installer anymore. If you are in the mood, please complete the TODOs mentioned above, thanks again.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I'll upload the compiled installer on our public ftp.

path: ftp.projectxenocide.com/CTD/kafros/

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The attached file is the installer source.

XenoInstaller.zip

Edited by kafros

Dear kafros,

I hate to say this, but the first time I used your installer, it produced A FRAKKIN' BSOD ON MY MACHINE!

Wasn't reproducible though, so no need to panic... :)

Besides this and the fact, that the installed Xenocide is not working, it works perfectly...

Hmm... Can anyone else try this out please? At the moment the installer is available on our website, 'cause I suspect/hope this is only my system misbehaving..

Ok, it seems you really had a non-working build. I built Xenocide myself now, had to change some parts of your NSIS script, but now it seems that most stuff is working. The icon file is still not being used for the shortcut in the "all programs"menu though. Edited by Mad

* Where should Brave New Era G98 be put? What should be its "spritefont name"? For some reason, Visual Studio couldn't find the font, so I replaced it with Times New Roman.

As I see it this file is only necessary for building the source, not for playing the game. So it goes nowhere. But I might be wrong.

*shame* :(

Actually, I tested the installer and it worked perfectly on my virtual machine (VirtualPC with guest Windows XP SP3). The xenocide exe started, and I got the "you need at least v1.1 shaders" message (of course). I didn't test it on my host computer though, cause I exceeded bed time by 3 hours (I had university courses from 09:00 until 17:00...).

Concerning the issues, I installed XNA Studio 3.1 and Visual Studio Professional 2008 (got it through MSDNAA). Maybe that XNA studio version caused the issues?

Yes, the font is only needed to build the game. But, it's an error, so I couldn't build it, cause VS couldn't "find it"!!??

So, the build worked "by default" on your system/build enviroment??? WTF <_>

edit: I just run your nightly build, and it says that xenocide.exe is not a valid Win32 application... What went wrong and we have all these issues? :( grrr!

Edited by kafros

*shame* :(

Actually, I tested the installer and it worked perfectly on my virtual machine (VirtualPC with guest Windows XP SP3). The xenocide exe started, and I got the "you need at least v1.1 shaders" message (of course). I didn't test it on my host computer though, cause I exceeded bed time by 3 hours (I had university courses from 09:00 until 17:00...).

Concerning the issues, I installed XNA Studio 3.1 and Visual Studio Professional 2008 (got it through MSDNAA). Maybe that XNA studio version caused the issues?

Yes, the font is only needed to build the game. But, it's an error, so I couldn't build it, cause VS couldn't "find it"!!??

So, the build worked "by default" on your system/build enviroment??? WTF <_>

edit: I just run your nightly build, and it says that xenocide.exe is not a valid Win32 application... What went wrong and we have all these issues? :( grrr!

Strange thing... But maybe it crashed post the shader check...

I used XNA 3.1 as well, couldn't be the problem.

The font needs to be installed on your machine. Just unzip it and install it via your fonts folder.

The build worked only after I "installed" the Brave new Era font, but since I did that ages ago, I didn't think about it anymore.

I'm sorry, there must've been some error in the 7zip program. I re-packed it now (and tested it) it should work now.

The font needs to be installed on your machine. Just unzip it and install it via your fonts folder.

The build worked only after I "installed" the Brave new Era font, but since I did that ages ago, I didn't think about it anymore.

That's the crazy thing, I installed it... I even rebooted, no change. I tried every possible name that I thought could work, but no luck! Anyway, as long as you can compile the installer, we'll have no problem.

I'm sorry, there must've been some error in the 7zip program. I re-packed it now (and tested it) it should work now.

The .7z worked fine, thanks!

Unfortunately, this time the game crashed on launch <_ . i just thought that am missing the xna redistributable src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_hilarious.gif" alt="LOL"> :D. So, no problemo!

That's the crazy thing, I installed it... I even rebooted, no change. I tried every possible name that I thought could work, but no luck! Anyway, as long as you can compile the installer, we'll have no problem.

The .7z worked fine, thanks!

Unfortunately, this time the game crashed on launch <_ . i just thought that am missing the xna redistributable src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_hilarious.gif" alt="LOL"> :D. So, no problemo!

Try the installer... ^_^

I had to modify the XNA check script of the installer to reflect our switch to XNA 3.0, since the game won't launch if only XNA FW 1.0 Rf is installed. Unfortunately this makes the Installer bout 7MB larger then it was before. Maybe it is time to think about downloading the XNA FW if needed...? I have uploaded a modified installer to the website, hopefully it won't make any trouble.

Installer and game work fine for me, very nice!!

I think it's better to include the XNA redistributable, chances are the user won't have it installed (most users already use .Net framework 2). Nevermind about the size, Battle for Wesnoth is 250MB large, and UFO: AI is 385.2 MiB. Bah, less than 30MB is nothing compared to that.

You cannot guarantee the availability of the internet resources (XNA/.Net installer), unless we upload them to our site. I'm not sure what legal issues that would pose, so I'd think we should leave it as is.

Of course, you can do whatever you prefer :), no problem at all. It's just my opinion.

Installer and game work fine for me, very nice!!

I think it's better to include the XNA redistributable, chances are the user won't have it installed (most users already use .Net framework 2). Nevermind about the size, Battle for Wesnoth is 250MB large, and UFO: AI is 385.2 MiB. Bah, less than 30MB is nothing compared to that.

You cannot guarantee the availability of the internet resources (XNA/.Net installer), unless we upload them to our site. I'm not sure what legal issues that would pose, so I'd think we should leave it as is.

Of course, you can do whatever you prefer :), no problem at all. It's just my opinion.

No, I see your point. don't think though there should be any legal issues, anyway, having it on-board might still be a good idea. I was just thinking loud...