XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Contact - An X-com Inspired Pen&paper Rpg

BioMetal

Hi folks!

A few years ago, I stumbled across the original X-Com in a classic PC game compilation, started playing it, and finally realized I have missed one of the greatest strategy games in computer history... heck, even one of the greatest games ever. It has virtually everything: Hair-raising, suspenseful combat, research, a tech tree, the requirement of economical thinking and an eerie, creepy atmosphere that would put the best x-files episodes to shame. Great stuff!

Being an avid Pen&Paper gamer (not weird chatroom stuff) obsessed by creating advanced game mechanics that take a simulational approach to the grim reality of modern combat, I decided to create an RPG with a setting very reminiscent of UFO/X-COM: Near Future, impending doom by alien invasion!

Approximately one year later (now!) the project is finished. It has become a pretty fine looking and weighty book, weighing in at 216 pages. Currently looking for the most effective way to publish it. I'll try breaking its features down to you, including any parallels and differences to the PC game from 94'. Here goes:

- Proprietary D100 game mechanics - being for a Pen&Paper RPG, they have little in common with X-Com, naturally. Some features, like spending action points in combat, have been implemented, however.

- Although an RPG at core, advanced campaign rules allow for base management, implementing nearly all features from X-com, such as selling dead alien bodies on the black market, researching new technologies and building kickass futuristic weapons

- 6 alien factions are included in the base book, and their motivations and agendas are a bit more complex than the invaders in x-com. Yet, most of them are clearly up to no good, which ensures lots and lots of conflicts. Yes, we have sectoids. And they still do the probing.

- Full weapons and gear lists, including biomodifications. There are lots of guns in this game, and I'm particularly proud of the combat system that puts them to deadly use in a semi-realistic fashion.

- Includes a handful of sample characters, ranging from a ultra-tough field agent to a mysterious alien hybrid experiment, with full background stories, stats and equipment. A short story featuring these chars serves as part of the introduction to the game world.

Edited by BioMetal