XCOMUFO & Xenocide

"Real" cinematics, FMVs, etc.

While I was thinking about shooting sectoids with lasers today, a thought struck me. How about if, once we research sectoid autopsy, we include footage of the real "alien autopsy" or when we research ufo construction, we get film footage of ufos?

What im saying is that for certain crucial research advancements we include real footage that is related to that research. I think it would up the paranoia factor (is xenocide real??!?) I think that it would add a little more x-files into it, and that might not be a bad thing.

kinda like on civ II wwhen you finished building the wonders of the world?

thr biggest problem would be file size, some people are still running on dial up modems meaning downloading the game would be a pain with added movies.

but they could be optional extra's or even better easter eggs for on superhuman mode.

In terms of an extensable game framework, cut-scenes are compressed video files and so can contain anything. In terms of recreating X-COM.. I prefer "life-like" to "real". I think the original X-COM, and games like "Fallout" set a god standard of using realistic images while avoiding "real" images.

Hey -

Personally, I love the idea of including extra "footage" with CT entries. However, realistically, it would add a huge amount of work for the graphics people. But, if they wanted to do it, I would fully support them!

Also, in terms of file size, I say lets be realistic. If Xenocide ends up being 700megs to download, then so be it. And if some people can't download it, I do belive it should be possible to create some service that ships CDs at pure cost. But really, with people download 800meg movies all the time, I think it shouldnt be an issue...

And then, as suggested, there is the option of making the extra graphics a seperate install, and hence a seperate download for those who have the connection.

Gold

Hey -

Personally, I love the idea of including extra "footage" with CT entries.  However, realistically, it would add a huge amount of work for the graphics people.  But, if they wanted to do it, I would fully support them!

Also, in terms of file size, I say lets be realistic.  If Xenocide ends up being 700megs to download, then so be it.  And if some people can't download it, I do belive it should be possible to create some service that ships CDs at pure cost.  But really, with people download 800meg movies all the time, I think it shouldnt be an issue...

And then, as suggested, there is the option of making the extra graphics a seperate install, and hence a seperate download for those who have the connection.

Gold

Well you don't have to download it all at once. Still 700Mb divided by 10 is 70Mb and even that is too much for some.. I probably am one of the contributers who shares the files around the world so I prefer keeping the videos REALLY short if included at all.

You did? oops. Sorry, so, were you going to use real footage? thats what I am on about mainly, not the research. It is a good idea, so no reason to bring it up again.

No no I've looked all around for my old thread but it must have disappeared for some reason :)

My idea was not at all thourough, I just wanted wonder-like movies for critical research stages.

It might be easier to do and take less space to make some nice render shots mixed with 'real' pictures and show them similar to the opening scene from the original game. A big pic with smaller closeups around the edges, etc.

1 thing we could do is offer 2 distribute CD's with Xenocide on it, the peeps just cover the cost of the CD ( it only costs me 50p per CD ) and P&P ( About 2 squid ) so it wouldn't burn a whole in too many peeps pockets, and 4 dial-ups it would probably save them cash on call times :)

Ohh, Paid Postage, I'm stupid. :stupid: Duh.

Well, we could just ship the cds in large envelopes.

Hey are we going to include jewel cases?

Are the Cd's going to have lables?

How are we going to handle updates?

We need to think about this before we start shipping cds everywhere.

Fourtnately we have 2 years to think about it.

• 2 months later...

About distribution:

When 1.0 is out we could simply

ask publishing houses to bundle

the game with their magazines.

They will pay nothing and

probably sell more magazines.

Our hosts will save some

bandwith. Dial-up users will

get the game fast and cheap.

Everybody will be happy. :beer:

Oh... and if they are going to

bundle the game with their

magazine they will automatically

write a positive review, too... :devillaugh:

• 5 weeks later...
How bout we have in the intro a B movie clip of a ufo on strings hovering around... and then it shifts into a CG shot of it flying oreallver the ocean really fast and firing plasma at one intercepter, which then loops behind it and nails it with a missile, causing it to plunge into the ocean?