XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Game Translator

kelfka

Nice one Kelfka. I put 'bullseye' in as like you say a pilot's nickname so don't worry about that ;)

Its good to see that there is room on the buttons for language translations.

Guys (and gals) just as an artists reference can you all translate the geo items into other languages, so I can see how much room there or not as the case may be. :)

Just post in a similar style to Kelfka above. The font is an 8pt Gotthard font which is availabe by doing a search above.

Thanks everyone.

Ok, here a quick translation of the geoscape-panels:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/uploads/post-29-1047011620.jpg

Abfangen = Intercept ("Abfangen" sounds a bit clumsy, I'll think of a better translation, but atm it's almost 2am, so my brain isn't working properly anymore)

Basen = Existing Bases (if you would translate existing, you would say "existierende or vorhandene Basen" - but this sound rather stupid in german. So I just wrote Basen (= bases), because we don't have to differ anymore between "Build new base" and "existing bases" (where did the panel go, anyway?)

Logistik = Logistics

Forschung = Research

Produktion = Manufacture

Flugzeuge Ausrüsten = Equip Craft (You could shorten this a bit by writing "Flieger" instead of "Flugzeuge", but it's a bit more colloquial then. If you want to translate craft with it's full meaning, you would have to write "Luft- und Raumschiffe", but I don't think we have enough space for this and it would sound a bit clumsy anyway)

X-Net Datenbank = X-Net Database

Optionen = Options

Transactions = Transaktionen (I copied the other panels from the above URL. There I couldn't find a panel saying 'transactions'. Is there a final version of the geoscape out anywhere?)

About the fonts: Is every character equal in width? How many characters fit in one panel? Where can I get the PSD (I thought I read somewhere, that you guys use Photoshop) and the corresponding fonts. so that I can try to label this Geoscape-Prototype myself?

Going to bed now,

Dr. Retro

I am glad to see such activity on translations front.

However, the code is not quite ready to support it. Some details will be figured out and announcement will be made.

In the mean time do what Deimos asked you to do, cause it will really help to see whether UI is appropriate dimensions.

Admins, please, create a separate forum for translations and move all related topics there.

Interestingly there seems to be no good german translation

for "craft". Even the original X-Com failed there. :D

@mamutas:

Is there a thread about the details that need

to be figured out? And have we considered

using gettext?

btw: I think the panel looks a bit too

heterogeneous when we are mixing

nouns and verbs. Just a thought...

A (not quite perfect) german panel:

post-3-1067888796_thumb.jpg

Edited by CptJackSparrow

@mamutas:

Is there a thread about the details that need

to be figured out? And have we considered

using gettext?

We do not have a developer who would work on translation support.

So, the answer is 'No'. But that does not mean we will not consider it in the future.

Although, it is a GNU tool...

A german version of the screen.

I tried to imitate the font of http://www.projectxenocide.com/art/battle/12-800.jpg - it doesn't look exactly the same, but should use the same amount of space.

The text of the Abort-button ("Abbruch") had to be resized a bit, it didn't fit.

Exit Ramp would be "Ausgangs Rampe", but as this didn't fit in the field, I renamed it to "Lade Rampe" which should mean loading ramp.

DrRetro

post-3-1067957911_thumb.jpg

Well, I have translated the main Geoscape menu into Polish, translations based where possible on the official Polish translation of TFTD.

Several problems:

- Polish has several unique letters (I had to replace them by the most similar

ones, like in WYPOSAZ there should be a dot over the Z)

- WYPOSAZ POJAZDY barely fits (I have made it even shorter than in the Polish

TFTD because there the Polish version of "Boat Equipment" was used and this

was way longer)

- Database is "Baza danych" in Polish and I can't think of a shorter version

for "BAZA DANYCH X-NET"

I have not translated the other menus, but there could be a possible problem with Polish month names, as there is PAZDZIERNIK with 11 letters, and in English the longest month name is September with 9 letters.

While some might consider this a rather exotic translation I'd like to remember you that TFTD was officially translated into Polish because of the big fan base.

P.S. I've used the Gotthard font, 8 pt, all caps, with horizontal scale (place between letters) set to 130%. You could get the two longest phrases shorter by approx half a letter if you set the horizontal scale to 100%.

Here's the pic:

post-3-1068163797_thumb.jpg

Edited by hyos

I translated word for word only to show it wouldn't fit in.

Yes, "Nouvelle Base" would be appropriate.

For R&D, I'm not comfortable with the "&" because I dont think it exist in French.

I think the best would be "Rech. et Dév."

• 5 months later...
Well, I have translated the main Geoscape menu into Polish, translations based where possible on the official Polish translation of TFTD.

Good job! I'm Polish, so I can say that translation is very good. I can translate the baseview, but you will have to wait, as I'm at school right now...

I translated word for word only to show it wouldn't fit in.

Yes, "Nouvelle Base" would be appropriate.

For R&D, I'm not comfortable with the "&" because I dont think it exist in French.

I think the best would be "Rech. et Dév."

From where I live in Canada, the “&” symbol is commonly used everywhere. And I think that it looks nicer than "et". If you guys have any questions regarding translations from English to French, let me know and I'll jump in to help.

Also, as my personal opinion, I believe that "Interception" has a better ring to "Intercepter." It's a matter of taste I guess, but I believe it's got a more dramatic approach.

Here is Basescape translated into Polish.

A few notes:

- "Craft" can be translated as "Statek" ("ship" in the meaning of "spaceship"), but it could be also "pojazd" ("vehicle").

- I believe that Development in R&D means "manufacturing", so I translated it into "produkcja" ("production").

- I don't know how "Geoscape" would be in Polish, so I left it unchanged.

post-197-1083406729_thumb.jpg

Edited by Judge_Deadd

translated the Base View to portuguese.

some notes:

- Translated Craft as Spaceship ("Nave"). Could've translated it as "Vehicle" ("Veículo") but I've always called my craft Naves ;)

- I don't know if we use the R & D abbreviation, so I just translated properly (short for "Investigação & Desenvolvimento". "I & D" doesn't sound right). Decided to replace the & with "e".

- Translated "Planetview" as just "Planet", to keep it short. "Visão do Planeta" is too big and sounds wrong :P

Baseview_Pt.png