XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Was Dark Screen - Now Doesn't Work

gufu

I hope I don't need to explain the "Dark Screen of UFO200 Death", but I will. Basicly, the screen turns black, you can hear the music, and the xcomputer becomes unresponcive. Now, I changed the game into windowed mode and the properties of desktop to 16bit colors. And now, I have those errors coming out, every time I run the UFO2000.exe.

New_Bitmap_Image.bmp

I think it might be memory problem (but I'm guessing). I had similar problems with abnormal program termination with older ufo2000 versions (and older computer :) ). Which version do you use? And how much memory is provided by your computer/graphic card?

Some people had got similar problem too - see link and link.

320MB RAM

Windows 98

4MB(!) Ati Radeon Rage Pro

Well... Your graphic card may cause the problem. You could try disable music (moving it from 'xcom/sound' directory to other one) and run the game with lowest details (see the first post i've linked before) for using less RAM. If it won't help, you might have to change your video card.

Edited by Intri

You can also try to change screen resolution, color depth, fullscreen/windowed mode in ufo2000.ini

DIRECTX drivers also could be at fault, you can try to disable hardware acceleration for DIRECTX and check if it helps (dxdiag can be used for this).