XCOMUFO & Xenocide

A Ufo:eu And Tftd Patch

grzegorj

UFO:EU and TFTD are known from being full of bugs. Some of them are in mcd files of both games (in the "terrain" folder). The bugs make some items unreachable in game without hacking - I mean Alien Reproduction in UFO:EU and Examination Room in TFTD.

Moreover, objects which look like Magnetic Navigation in Usopedia are count as Alien Sub Construction by the (TFTD) game (which even caused nasty mistakes in Daishiva's MapView).

There is a simple way to fix these problems. I have looked through existing mcd files of both games, and changed several bytes. It is true that the change may change the game economy (a little) but now things are much more similar to the state of the art as described and shown in UFO/USO-pedia.

I am sending the patch in the attachment as well as MapView screenshots which roughly show what has been changed. The pictures named _old are from the unmodified version, the ones named _new are taken after applying the patch.

In fact, I have made more fixes, e.g. in correct flagging some tiles as dead. We may discuss whether some of the changes caused by the patch are just or not - but the patch also corrects some obvious errors.

The patches should work with any version of UFO and TFTD (they were only tested under DOS versions / DosBox). Just overwrite the original files of the game(s), saving a copy of the original files somewhere else.

The modified data files were made with McdEdit. Moreover, MapView was also used - but only for viewing, not for changing anything.

You are welcome to test it. I would also appreciate any suggestions.

Sherlock__s_fix.zip

Sherlock__s_fix_images.zip