XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Weapon Effects

Cpl. Facehugger

I am starting this thread, because I have many questions regarding well, weapon special effects.

So, what color will our laser be? Red, Blue? , Classic Yellow? (I like blue, it would just look so cool, especially if it kind of glowed like a lightsaber.)

Second, will our plasma be a beam or a green bullet like the last one?

What will happen to a alien when they are killed with a laser weapon? I think that they should be sliced up by the beams.

See above, but with plasma guns. For plasma, I think they should desintergrate the target. That would be cool.

Just some questions and Ideas. :D

On the thread for the HWP models, there is a pic of the plasma turret that includes a plasma ball. The consensus there was that plasma might be a blue ball with a static/lightning-like nimbus around it (the magnetic containment field). Because of that being blue, I'd vote for a red laser beam effect. Hard to say about death animations, but there would probably be a different one for each type of damage in the game. If killed by incindiary vs concussive vs energy, etc. If we have the animators available it would be fun to have things either burst into flames, blow apart, or disintegrate respectively. :D

I think that red is too bright for a beam. I'd vote for blue, but if this is for plasma (even though i think it should include slight purple), id say light green.

Don't lasers that cut things operate in the Infra-Red spectrum? Hmm, maybe it is so powerful that it actually creates a heat wave along the beam instead of a colour. If we created enough effects, maybe like the air it passes thru actually smoking down the length of the beam, then it would look quality.

For past posts I've read, a lot of effects are possible with the current hardware requirements, so I doubt the laser effect would be an issue. I like the laser-heat effect a lot, and green would work as well. IMO red would look more like what people expect to see, but green would work too.

Maybe a mix of the red light, I think someone suggested a while back that it could be a tracer type beam, and the heat effect travelling down the beam. I don't think the effect would be a problem, and there will prob be a low performance PC option in the graphics menu 2 turn things like this effect off.

• 1 year later...
[quote]and the heat effect travelling down the beam[/quote]

well, lasers being electromagnetic waves and not particles like plasma, I would strongly recommend not using any kind of "travelling". whatever the effect will be, it should be simultaneous at every point of the beam. we should also keep in mind that without fog or smoke, even a colored laser beam can not be seen at all. what you will be able to see is the air actually glowing because of the intense energy. does anybody know enough about physics/chemistry to tell me what glowing air looks like? judging from lightning, I assume it's something like white-yellow with a blueish afterglow (which is probably just an effect of the human eye, but would look rather nice in-game, I guess).