floater medic=EVILL

#2 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:30 AM

It doesn't cause crashes for everyone. But it wouldn't hurt to be cautious nonetheless.

I, like many others, would always recommend leaving the medics till the very end when your scientists have nothing else to do. That way, bug or no bug, it doesn't really matter and you'll have most of the interrogations and autopsies done anyway.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#3 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:07 AM

Yup, the medics are the only way I was once able to complete my UFOpedia to include live Cyberdisks and Sectopods :D
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#4 The Master Maniac

The Master Maniac

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 442 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:27 PM

It appears the floater medics will forever remain a mystery amongst the annals of X-Com. There will be a time when our children look back and stare in awe at flickering computer monitors...wondering why in the heck their game crashed to desktop when doing a humble interrogation. Or something. Actually, I haven't tried researching a floater medic before, as I've only happened upon one once during a raid on an Abductor. I managed to stun him, only to liquidate his unconscious self with a grenade when I saw what he was. Guess I just didn't want a "contaminated" alien anywhere near my alien containment or something. *shiver*

#5 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:17 AM

And when I started playing again after all tehse years, I thought it was the sectoid medics that was buggy, so I ended up with a bunch of floater medics and no sectoids... :crying:

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

#6 Hoser

Hoser

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:48 PM

Wow. I've never had this problem before, and I've played for 10+ years. (Still playing, though it's CE now)

#7 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:51 AM

Oh, and are the Floater medics giving you any trouble?? :o

#8 dipstick

dipstick

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 08:43 AM

sectoid medics for me :(
Posted Image

#9 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:38 AM

What do you mean, they're the ones giving you trouble?? :huh?:

#10 Guest_alex the greater_*

Guest_alex the greater_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:26 PM

maby all medics are evill
maby thay infect your base whith a alien virus

#11 Redbull

Redbull

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:47 AM

maby all medics are evill
maby thay infect your base whith a alien virus

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you have problems to research an alien, switch to an other language!

I always have problems with the research of the Schlangenmensch ( german -> Snakeman english ). When my Schlangenmensch Project will be completed the game crashes, but when I start the game in english and just finish the researchproject, the game will move on. So I save after the project was finished and quit. Than I start the game in german and everything is ok, ufopedia report of the Schlangenmensch is fine, everything works. It is just the moment when the research is finished, that will crash the game.

Best wishes
Redbull

#12 Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:55 PM

Never seen the medic issue come up. I've played on original DOS, a 1997 DOS version from a Microprose strategy classics set and playstation versions.

#13 Dover

Dover

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

I used to have the medic issue (Floaters AND sectoids) on my old computer when it had Windows 98. When I upgraded to Windows XP, I didn't know about the video fix so I just sat there angerly.

Now I have it on two other XP computer with video fix, and I don't have any such problems. In fact, I'm pretty resistant to bugs now compared to before. Perhaps the number of bugs is random at the instalation process?

Edited by Dover, 05 March 2006 - 08:44 PM.

#14 Oldblue153

Oldblue153

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:29 PM

Wasnt an issue for the PSX version.....playing TFTD nowadays and dont research em cause they give ufopedia on alien races that might need "original" (Deep ones for example) research to continue trees

#15 Adst

Adst

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

Researching floater medics crash game?!

heck when i research them once the project is finished it comes up with random Research reports.. like last time it came up with live cyberdisc research report.. so thats how i got live cyberdisc in my UFOpedia :D:D

#16 Sharp

Sharp

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:28 PM

erm researching medics gives information on other aliens, doesnt matter whether it be a floater medic or sectoid or anything else. Pretty much the onlyway to get a cyberdisk report.

#17 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:00 AM

That's how floater medics are meant to behave. And if they aren't crashing your game, then huzzah, it's time to crack out the confetti and celebrate. Your game is working correctly! ;)

Unfortunately the same isn't true for all players, and the random alien research from the floater medics cause the game to crash (or some other weird combination that causes a regular crash).

The best advice I've seen is to just hold off on the medics until the very last, when you've got nothing left to do and have everything you need to win the game. That way, bug or no bug, it won't be a problem.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

Reply to this topic