XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Game Crash During Battles

-Sky_Lord-

I have the CE version with the graphic fix thingy.

First question - is there any other patch i can/should download?

Now the problem -

A couple of months into the game the game crashs at some point during battles...

I havn't noticed if it happens after a fixed X fights, or during a certain month...

Loading a save game will not help (even if the crash happens in turn 20, and i load turn 1, the game will crash again in turn 20!)

It happens during the end turn screen...

I got WinXP

DirectX 9.0b

GF 4 MX

Athlon 1.2 ghz

and 256 NVRAM

Since it's always crashing at the same point in the game, I think you're stuck with a corrupted savegame... try loading an earlier savegame, or, if you saved just before you went to that mission, try to do something different, sometimes it helps if you do things differently before going in. Or just shoot as much aliens as you can in 10 turns and abort :)

edit: aside from the gfx patch, you don't really need anything. Maybe musfix.dll, but only if you're experiencing problems with the sound. Xcomutil is another valid option :)

Edited by j'ordos

I forgot to point out that it happens everytime, starting a new game wont help...

And like i said, not sure if it happens on a specific date or after a fixed number of battles!

This is really annoying, i can't play more then 2-3 months in the game...

The max bases i ever had were 3...

Xcom stores temporary data in the missdata directory, makes sure that it has permission to write in all directories, otherwise it will crash when the missdata reaches a certain size (I think it's 2 MB), delete all files in the directory and remove write protection and it'll work...

Xcom stores temporary data in the missdata directory, makes sure that it has permission to write in all directories, otherwise it will crash when the missdata reaches a certain size (I think it's 2 MB), delete all files in the directory and remove write protection and it'll work...

Got an Admin Account here (on XP), i can write in all of them...

You're saying i should delete it anyway when it reaches 2 mb?

No what I said is that you should check that the files themselves are not write protected, or the folders for that matter... in xp right click on the X-com folder (or whatever you game folder is called...) then make sure it doesn't have a dot/tick (depending on what version you have) in the write portection mark...

Then to get your game working again, you have to delete the files in the missdata folder, but if you do that you won't be able to load any games that were on missions...

If you don't get the write permission sorted out, you'll get the same error over and over again...

It seems my entire game was Read Only, so this was most likely the case.

I'll start playing and see what happens!

Thx

BTW - Anyone knows where can i get X-Com 2 & 3?

I only got 1...

and once again it helps to be into abandonware...

Umm you can't get neither X-Com 2 nor 3 legally for free anywhere...

So you won't find any help on this subject on this site...

• 2 months later...

Ok, guys. I am having the same problem. All of the folders are read only and the game crashes on beginning the first mission.

I have followed the MS update which told me to use attrib since you can't change read only using Explorer. However, nothing that I have changed makes any difference. All files and folders still show as read only.

Any other suggestions?

How is it possible that you can't change a read only file to normal? Just rightclick on the file, click properties. On the bottom of the upcoming screen is an option "read only" and a dot in front of it. Click that dot and it dissapears. Click OK.

If you have XP, you can also edit the properties of the game directory. Set it to 'archive' (just erring on the side of caution, as this is usually on by default) and remove the 'read only' and 'hidden' statuses. When set, XP then asks you if you want to set the attributes for all the files in that directory to those settings. Go ahead.

This should kill the multiple birds with the proverbial stone.

- NKF

Here is the problem guys. This article addresses it. However, using attrib instead of Explorer is also failing to change the attributes.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders

Applies To

This article was previously published under Q326549

For a Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98, and Windows 95 version of this article, see 256614.

SYMPTOMS

You may experience any of the following symptoms:

You cannot view or change the Read-only or System attributes of a folder by using the Properties dialog box for the folder. For example, you may experience the following symptoms:

When you view the General tab of a folder's Properties dialog box, the Read-only check box is not available, and there is no check box to change the System attribute.

You click to clear or click to select the Read-only check box on the General tab of a folder's Properties dialog box. When you click OK or Apply, you receive the following message:

Confirm Attribute Changes

You have chosen to make the following attribute changes:

unset read-only

Do you want to apply this change to this folder only, or do you want to apply it to all subfolders and files as well?

If you click Apply changes to this folder only, the Read-only attribute is changed for all the files in the folder, but the Read-only attribute is not changed for the folder, its subfolders, or any files in its subfolders. If you click Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files, the Read-only attribute is changed for all files in the folder and all files in the subfolders, but the Read-only attribute is not changed for the folder or its subfolders.

Some programs may display error messages when you try to save files to a folder with the Read-only or System attribute. As a result, these programs may not be able to save files to the folder.

CAUSE

Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders.

Note In some previous versions of Windows, you can change the Read-only attribute for folders by using the Properties dialog box for the folder, but no versions of Windows permit you to change the System attribute by using Windows Explorer.

WORKAROUND

To work around this issue, use the Attrib command at a command prompt (Cmd.exe) to view or remove the Read-only or System attributes of folders. Type attrib /? at the command prompt to view the syntax for the Attrib command.

Warning If you remove the Read-only or System attribute from a folder, it may appear as a ordinary folder and some customizations may be lost. For example, Windows customizes the Fonts folder and provides a special folder view that permits you to hide variations, such as bold and italic. It also permits you to change the folder's view settings in ways that are specific to fonts. If you remove the Read-only and System attributes of the Fonts folder, these customized view settings are not available. For folders that you have customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box, the folder icon and other other customizations may be lost when you remove the Read-only attribute.

If a program cannot save files to a folder with the Read-only attribute, such as My Documents, change the Read-only attribute to System by using the Attrib command at a command prompt.

For example, to change the Read-only attribute to System for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r +s c:\test

Note that some programs may not operate correctly with folders that have the System attribute set. To remove both the Read-only and System attributes from the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r -s c:\test

STATUS

This behavior is by design.

MORE INFORMATION

Windows stores file and folder attributes in the file system with the file and folder name, extension, date and time stamps, and other information. The Read-only check box for folders is not available because it does not apply to the folder. You can use this check box to set the Read-only attribute for files in the folder. However, you cannot use Windows Explorer to determine if a folder has the Read-only and System attributes set. To determine the attributes that are set on a folder, or to change these attributes, you must use the Attrib command from a command prompt.

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition

Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition

Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition

Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition

Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition

Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition

Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003, Premium Edition

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003, Standard Edition

Last Reviewed: 11/5/2003 (5.1) 

Keywords: kbenv kbprb KB326549

Edited by j'ordos

I'm running into this same problem aswell.

My problem is that I can't get my folders to stay with Read-only disabled. This is for every folder on my hard drive.

I'm using Windows XP: Home Edition on an NTFS drive.

Anyone know how to fix this? Microsoft's Knowledge Base has offered no help for Home Edition... :huh?:

How about creating your own directories and subdirectories and then moving the files in there, removing the originals and then renaming your custom directories to the one you just removed?

Well, it could work.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

hmmm... on that notice i just found out that my whole hard drive is read-only! :blink:

however i can remove the nasty read-only-ness. but it will sure take its time.

tried installing all of windows' updates (real lots) with http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or installing Service Pack 1?

read_only.PNG

Guest Nazrat

Yes, you can change every directory from read only. The question is, Did the change actually occur? I can clear the check box from now until Christmas on every directory. However, the moment that I check the status again it is read only.

Evidently, XP and programs based upon it don't pay any attention to read only files. So, in their infinite wisdom, MS decided to have every directory become read only. Now, past programs that aren't as "enlightened" about the new read only status have significant problems.

Has anyone found a solution that actually works?

Ironic. After I read through this topic, I started having the same problem. I wish I never came here! Well, it generally falls under the same scenario. I didn't want to make a new topic because there's far too many of them in here anyway.

I removed all of the saved data in the game, I reinstalled the game, and the .exe file itself is NOT read-only. The folder itself and the rest of the files are, but not the .exe. Does that amount to anything? What happens is when I click to start a new game, I click the difficulty level, and it closes. This happens every time. This confuses me because I reinstalled the game, and there is no saved data in any of the folders ...

My guess is that X-COM from being installed the first time may have altered some kind of system file and that's why it won't work even though I reinstalled it. Now that, is not my area of expertise. Can anyone assist me? This is ticking me off because I was on Mars before this happened, and I miss it. -_-

OMG! This thread has cursed me too.

xcom1 ce also crashes (to desktop) whenver it goes into battle (but it used to work) thus why i changed to xcom1 dos (with dosbox). and you're also right, no matter how much i disable readonly, if i go back it's readonly again.

funny... i think this only happened after i read this thread. IT'S A CURSE I SAY!!!

my tip to who has this problem is to use xcom1 dos with dosbox and have fun. saved games work on both versions.

.. Yeah. This thread surely must be cursed. If I can figure out how to get dosbox working, I'll attempt that route, but insofar I haven't found any kind of 'Tutorial for Dummies' type scheme yet. I'll keep looking.

.. Yeah. This thread surely must be cursed. If I can figure out how to get dosbox working, I'll attempt that route, but insofar I haven't found any kind of 'Tutorial for Dummies' type scheme yet. I'll keep looking.

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2989 :P