XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Grenades grenades grenades!

Guest Scipio

Guest Scipio
I've only played the second x-com, but since just about all the weapons were exactly the same, I figure that grenades worked about the same in both games. Anyways, in 2, grenades are your best friend until you develop the sonic weaponry. They are far superior to the cruddy basic weapons, including the HE autocannons. They take fewer TU's to throw and are MUCH more accurate. Naturally, you have to carry around primed grenades all the time, but as long as you spread your guys out reasonably well, it's not a problem. Also, if a squaddie gets zapped next to some of your guys, and they can't run far enough away, they can go pick up his primed grenade and it won't go off. (I guess futuristic grenades don't have fuses or spoons ;-) I've actually gone on missions with NOTHING but grenades, and usually I do better than when I go with guns. The alien grenades have a tendency to take out nearby civvies, but it's a small price to pay.

Guest stewart
There is one big difference between the games and I'm sure they put it in on purpose. The XCOM2 equivalent of the Autocannon (I forget what it's called) works only under water so is useless for "dry" battles. In XCOM 1 part of your squad is just guys with autocannon with HE loaded. They plan themselves somewhere where they can shoot to anywhere in the battle field (or as much of it as possible). The scouts go out and highlight targets which the AC squads deal with, kind of like calling in an artillery strike. That being said my scouts still do carry grenades just in case they get caught in a situation where having a grenade would really help; my scouts carry rifles (light but with more hitting power than a pistol).

Actually there is a small diffirience in regards to granades in both games!

In XCOM 1 granades are less efective becasue they wont blow up separately! Throwing few granades in this same spot in order to take out some strong aliens is just a waste of granades. Now in XCOM2, it does make sense... Few granades thrown next to each other WILL BLOW ONE BY ONE.. So the second or third blast will kill the alien even if the first explosion wont...

Try it if you dont believe me!!!

Guest stewart
Oh I believe you! I just didn't know you could do that in XCOM2! I guess grenades are better insultated (armoured) against blast than in XCOM1.

Been awhile since I played X-Com 2. But for me in regular X-Com grenades aren't all that. They kill sectoids and other wimpy aliens. useless for the aliens with good armor. arming and throwing grenades take too much of the player's turn for most things. It is more effective to use the turn to fire a laser rifle or a heavy plasma several time. Now proximity grenades are much more effective especially when your are playing at an alien base or aliens invade your base. Those aliens with good armor walk right into them. Sometimes kills them :) but most time it makes an alien that was hard to kill as easy to kill as a sectoid.

Grenade? You use grenade?

Grenade are good to be sold (magna blast of course).. and buy demolition charges!

They can't be thrown as far as grenade, but they do good damage against everybody, even heavy armoured ones!

Guest stewart
Come on folks, be honest. We've all thrown High-Explosives (demolition charges) into the hole on top of the downed large scout UFO (the X shaped one).

One of the best uses for grenades or high explosives is the dead mans switch. Anytime one of my guys goes up to a UFO door, he arms a 'nade or HE and sticks it in his pocket. That way when the aliens instantly blast him after he opens the door, he can get a little revenge from beyond the grave...

In X-Com II the auto-cannons are called HYDRO-cannons. Maybe they were trying to justify why you can't use them on land. Also the torpedo/rocket launcher doesn't work on land in 2 either.

I didn't know about the lack of dual-explosions in one. That makes grenades a bit weaker. I know in Terror from teh Deep I would literaly make a mound of grenades at the feet of those nasty lobstermen! I think about 5-7 alien grenades would drop one of those buggers. Plus on any of the colony missions, most of my guys would stick an armed grenade in each pants pocket. That way when the tentaculat (the one that turns your guy into an alien shell with another alien inside of him) zotted one of my guys, both 'nades fell to the ground, and blammo, no more squaddie, but no more aliens either!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think incendiaries count. I guess if your inc scores a direct hit and sets the bug on fire, it might count tho.

Oh, and one really funny nade trick. I had this lobsterman w/ sonic cannon cornered inside a building once (port terror). He was covering all the windows and just camping like a total lamer; any agent who went next to them would be dead meat in short order. My squad was watching all the doors.

So what I did (didn't know if it'd work yet) was:

1. take a pulser (not primed).

2. toss it thru the window (my agent didn't have LOS to the lobster, but could throw it near enough).

Surprise, surprise: the lobsterman saw the nade and ran for his life, right out the door and into a waiting barrage of sonic blasts B)

It only happened once. I never bothered to try it again, but it was too much of a coincidence to BE a coincidence... I'd been waiting for like 10 turns and that dang lobster refused to budge.

Edit: I guess it's not that hard; just have an AI routine that responds when you see a grenade in flight (rather than dropped by a dead unit), looks at where the nade landed, and then gives a priority-1 instruction to run to a location outside the nade's blast zone. The problem is determining the priority of the run order - what other orders (e.g. stay put and camp, assault the enemy immediately) will it override?

• 1 month later...

in every x-com game, grenades have a purpose

in ufo:

-if you have an alien grenade primed in crysallid missions, your soldier won't go to heck alone...

-Smoke grenades make excellent cover, when you need to retreat a wounded soldier , or when you are getting out of that skyranger

-Proximity mines are EXCELLENT both for defense and offense, just watch your step and not get blown by your own grenade...

in apocalypse

-If your soldier is about to brainsucked, and no one is there to help him, drop a stun grenade.

-Vortex mines can level bridges and stairs, limiting the non-flyer alien's movement

-Stun grenades are the only area weapons pass the protection of disruptor shields

BOTH

-if you can't see an alien firing at you, send a grenade to that direction. That is an excellent way to kill those aliens.

-When you open the doors of the UFO's, send grenades inside. That will force them to get outside. Otherwise, wait for the choking sounds, and go in :devillaugh: