XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Where Are The Etherials?

vaccum pony

The game's lulling you into a false sense of security! Just you wait. Any moment the ethereals will turn up and you'll never be able to get rid of them.

Just be patient. It happens from time to time. Some players never even get the Mutons, while others end up only getting them. You can blame your PC's random number generator for this. :)

Again, just be patient and use this time to expand your operations all over the globe.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
Hey! July first comes around and FINALLY an etherial ufo appears. And quickly disappears in a hail of laser fire from my avenger! Researching Psi Lab right now!

You have lasercannons equipped to your avenger? :o :huh?: :LOL: :LOL: I must recommend you to use plasmacannons instead :)

You have lasercannons equipped to your avenger? :o :huh?: :LOL: :LOL: I must recommend you to use plasmacannons instead :)

Only on the avengers that carry people to missions. I can send them against smaller UFOs when I want to take their elerium (works usually) and they don't need them when I take out a battleship (as I wait for them to land).

Sometimes I mix lasers with avalanche. In any case, they don't need plasma so why should I waste elerium on them?

After the initial building cost for the plasma cannons, the plasma cannons don't need anymore elerium.

Also, the type of weapon won't influence the damage done to the ship when it's on the ground, so it's a very efficient weapon indeed.

On the other hand, it blows smaller ships to smithereens. That's probably not what you want, is it? :D

Laser cannons are versatile. Not the best, but useful in their own way.

- NKF

On the other hand, it blows smaller ships to smithereens. That's probably not what you want, is it? :D

Exactly.

And although I've read your post about how downed UFOs have their damage randomized, it still seems like the game consistantly destroys the elerium when I shoot a UFO down with plasma.

in my current game, 90% of all UFOs/terrors/bases, are snakemen. Heck, strangly just now, the game have gone back to floaters (and a single sectoid mission) with research missions and harvests... I think i only have had 2 etherial missions (a terrorsite where i got one alive, and a medium scout where i lost half of my crew, including my commander :P)- and i have "cydonia or burst" reserched (still in 1999). Edited by mikker

That looks a lot like my game, I've got Snakeman for 80% of the time, I've had a brief encounter (2-3 missions) with Mutons around April/May, and I've got back Floaters of all races now (August '99) :wacko:

The easiest part was to nab a Snakeman commander from a base (they can hardly shoot blaster bombs up an elevator, so just camp in your entry lift (make sure to cover all down elevator tiles though, you don't want a chryssalid to enter and wreak havoc :) )

The hardest was an Ethereal terror site, first turn: smoke grenade, second turn: exit procedure... I have moved a few steps and I spot like 3 Sectopod's right next to my Skyranger :o , and for some reason the computer thought it'd be funny to put my men with heavy lasers all the way back at the rear of the skyranger!! :cussing: To make it short: all men who can get out blast away at the closest Sectopod from inside smoke cover (get outside for just one step and die by the Sectopod reaction fire :( ), but even after 8 soldiers gave all they could (laser rifles and pistols, heavy plasma's) the thing still wouldn't lay down :blink: ...

Alien turn: lots of alien control, lots of soldiers die... ehhhr... abort :crying:

One thing I've learnt is that sectopods are but puppies when compared to the ethereals the moment you have access to the small launcher. A few carefully placed stun bombs can knock multiple sectopods out in one go.

Because of the random damage, it won't work all the time, but when it does, prepare to laugh maniacally while the novelty of the David-and-Goliath moment passes.

Even if you won't be capturing any aliens, it's probably a good idea to leave a small launcher and a cache of stun bombs on the main equipment pile. That way you can pull it out the moment you see a sectopod/cyberdisc outside the ramp.

And if you're worried it might get back up again (very rare, but known to happen), a light explosive is all you need to make things well again.

If you feel stunning robots is cheating, look at it this way. The thermal reduction, or sonic vibration may be rather unsettling for the organic brain (or an organic psionic instruction reception device ) that is in sectopod's cockpit. For cyberdiscs...eh, they're not shock proof? Or all its essential fluids are freezing? Doesn't matter really. They blow up anyway. ;)

- NKF

• 4 months later...
Guest alex the greater

i diddent sea moutons till i got HWDs now all i sea is moutons and floaters no more sceloid teror missions YAY! now i destroyed the mouton base in russa (it was easy and i got to try out my snazy new personel armor

it was FUN i balsted them whith lasers :laser: and used high explosives like grenades :explode: in the beguining moast of my scuad was killed so i just clered out the base whith my 3 remaining guys

just a quetion are moutions weak agenst lasers cause kill them easy whith laser rifles

Edited by alex the greater

Not sure about the last part... Must be your difficutly level, because let me tell you my Flying armor guys are afraid of the bastards... They take forever to kill in superhuman... Takes a 3-men squad to make sure you don't leave him alive until his turn...

You can kill ethereals with pistols on beginner, so it's no suprise that the mutons are easy to kill with lasers. Heck, with enough rifle rounds even they will go down.

On superhuman, where armour and all the other stats are raised, they're next if not equal to the ethereals in terms of how much punishment they can take.

Mutons don't take double damage from lasers, but they don't take half damage either.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Guest alex the greater

why do etherals have armor is that cape made of kevlar or something

ps. please make lasers more powerful in xenocide i dont like plasma

Edited by alex the greater

They use their PSI power to disable their nervous system, therefore they do not feel the pain and function just as effeciently!

Or perhaps they telekinetically slow the bullet down... Besides, inside that cape they're REALLY skinny, so any hits will either do a large amount of damage or just clip them.

Nah, they don't have a PSI shield, they just need their Psi to KEEP them alive, by activating their own blood circulation, to *see* their surroundings, to lift their guns, etc...

I'd say they are simply the only aliens that actually have some kind of armor(not counting terrorists), so they're bound to be tougher, especially considering the fact that they're so damn skinny you might not hit them at all...

It makes sense to me, IMHO. ^_^

They are so chewy the bullets get stuck in them and even plasma doesn't cook them properly :P

I have something like that in the game I'm currently playing, had one (1) muton encounter, and snakemen/sectoids/floaters ever since, August coming.

Edited by centurion