15 replies to this topic

#1 GDD

GDD

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:48 AM

The ship in the intro and on the background..where is it in the game? :blink: <_<

Posted Image

#2 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:42 AM

only in the intro and on the background :D
The other craft just don't look anything like it...
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#3 GDD

GDD

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:50 AM

thats lame :(

they should of had that one, with a ramp coming out the nose cone or something, skyrangers stink :P

#4 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:47 AM

It's the cinematic version of the Skyranger. The cinematic version of the Avenger is on the Xcom box and game manual.

Of course, there IS a way to get the cinematic units, but it's a really long and drawn out thing. ;)
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#5 Chris StarShade

Chris StarShade

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:08 PM

I find it funny how the 'cinematic skyranger' has a hatch on top open up and a guy wearing personal armor and carrying a shotgun does the superman trick.

HAHA! What's he think he's wearing? A flying suit?
Psionics? Bah! Glorified staring contest.

#6 x0563511

x0563511

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:23 PM

Actually, hes got the rifle. The UFOpedia calls it a sniper rifle.... and hes firing it like an assault rifle...

What gets me is how the autocannon in the intro fires like a minigun and we cant use it like that :rolleyes:

#7 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:38 PM

Well, the rifle is indeed more of a sniper rifle, particularly with its superior accuracy for aimed shots. But its auto mode does allow you to use it like an assault rifle at close ranges. In the intro, it's just for cinematic effect. In reality the poor soldier (who I may add never even thought about hitting a street light on his way up) is really just shooting wildly.

Speaking of the autocannon - not only is it very unlike a gatling gun, it's also the slowest auto-fire weapon in the game. This affects the AP shells mostly. The HE shells can hit multiple targets at the same time, so it kind of offsets the low speed. Most of use use the HE shells anyway, except against HE resistant units, of which only the chryssalid is of any great concern.

By the way, I always thought the ship in the intro looked more like an interceptor rather than a troop transport. It's got a fighter jet look to it. The irises on the top are cool though. You've simply got to love a transport with an iris on top that also has a jumping platform to launch hapless soldiers into the field like that. ;)

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 08 August 2004 - 11:43 PM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#8 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 02:09 PM

I always thought it was an avenger, but come to think of it, it would be a lot more logical for it to be the skyranger... too bad they did not have enough time to make it better-looking, it would have kicked a** if it were that good looking...
:D
"You're just jealous because the voices in my head only talk to me."

"I only think this stuff up ..
then I have to write it down so it doesn't corrupt the rest of my brain.. "

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened.
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy)"

#9 Snakeman

Snakeman

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 10:04 PM

I'd love to have a ship in one of these xcom clones where there are multiple ways in and out of it. Ramp in the rear, one in front, above (for those with flying suits for faster deployment) and maybe one on the underside to drop straight to the ground with (figuring that if the distance is only one level up, troops shouldn't get too many boo boos :) )

Also another novelty, having weapons points on the sides the troops could shoot from :devillaugh:

#10 Chris StarShade

Chris StarShade

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 12:21 PM

The part about weapon points in the sides always made me wonder...

The aliens shoot some kind of plasma weapons from their ships when you attack them with the interceptors right?

What ever happens to those craft weapons when you assault them on the ground? Do they dismantle them that fast? Maybe the shots they fire at your interceptor are really just the collected assortment of aliens shooting out the window?

Or maybe they have a growth ray that lets them enlarge a heavy plasma gun and stick it on the roof (which they carefully reduce before the ship crashes)
Psionics? Bah! Glorified staring contest.

#11 dipstick

dipstick

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 01:08 PM

I have never tried to fire a gun while travelling at Mach 2 or 3 - have you? Hmm, guess not. How do you expect a sectoid to do it then?

It is probably an omission - that was fixed in Apoc
Posted Image

#12 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, it was a simple omission... Then again, maybe the alien craft guns were those red thingies that exploded when you shot them in some ships though... :huh:

Edited by Paladin, 16 August 2004 - 01:52 PM.

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

#13 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, it was a simple omission... Then again, maybe the alien craft guns were those red thingies that exploded when you shot them in some ships though... :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, those were alien entertainment units. If you're talking about those red things with the blue tubes coming out that is...
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#14 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 03:04 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, those were alien entertainment units. If you're talking about those red things with the blue tubes coming out that is...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I' talking about the red things with blue tubes...

Come to think of it, the skyranger had two gun ports in front, we should have been able to equip it with at least a smll cannon, that would give some use to the laser cannon too :D

#15 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 03:07 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I' talking about the red things with blue tubes...

Come to think of it, the skyranger had two gun ports in front, we should have been able to equip it with at least a smll cannon, that would give some use to the laser cannon too :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

xcomutil adds the ability to give the skyranger one weapon :)
I'm not sure where you see the two gunports tho.
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#16 Paladin

Paladin

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:30 AM

Well, I see one on the left side, so there should be another one on the right, no?
Come to think of it, most Jet fighters only have one on the side...