XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Whats Cydonia?

Extralucas

Im wondering whats Cydonia. Its a place with pyramids and face, ok. There lived some ancient civilisation, but they gone. And there is now

some "empire" that just needs to be destroyed. And this brain... What is it?

Scientists told that this brain is some kind of commander and killing it will free Earth from alien menace. Is this brain so important that killing it will anihilate all aliens in all galaxies? Is the "unknown empire" so weak? Or in few words: Whats Cydonia, why its so important and whats the deal with all stuff on it? Im asking because there was some bug (I think) about story... Scientist couldn't tell much about this place because they needed more info/data... And after finishing game there was only few words from brain about creating humans... In Terrof from the deep there wasn't much about Cydonia...

Guest stewart
Cydonia was the main city on mars where an alien civilization from outside the solar system made it first colony in our solar system. After a time Mars became unlivable and the aliens. The aliens attempted to colonize earth in the time of the dinosaurs but their ship crashed. Their presence here became a scientific outpost; one of their projects was to create man. So they more or less abandoned our solar system. About fifty years ago they returned intending to take back what argueable they can justifiably view as theirs. They prepared the base on Mars as the command center for the invasion and placed an individuall of some large brain only like species in charge. All the aliens we see in the game are in slavitude to this brain, including the Etherials. Once the brain is dead they have no purpose in their existance. The game isn't clear what happened to any aliens or ships that may still be in the solar system after the brain is destroyed. I would assume they either turned tail or disposed of themselves.

Guest stewart
The did in XCOM 2 but that doesn't count because they were in hyper-sleep for 65 M years. As I recall XCOM 3 takes place in a city on a planet far from earth where Humans have moved to since discovering how to cross intersteller space. However as I also recall the aliens here are not the same old ones we've grown to love but some new guys from anouther dimension. I think in XCOM 4 we see our good friends the sectoids once again but would be surprised if I'm totally wrong about that.

No your wrong about that, Apoc takes place in a Dying Earth, Pollution has ravaged it badly, The main hit to earth from pollution was in the Destuction of T'leth,Which exploded and cause of most of the damage not only from the gigantic Explosion, but from the Toxins it released, the city is a Experimental City which hopefuly make earth (and maybe other planets) Habitable, then the aliens show up and try to mess it up.

I mean, there are not going to be slums on a distant planet

Hmm... So aliens did this what they wanted to ;). When you have lost in Ufo 1 there was something about poisoning air and sea... Destroying T'leth did it anyway :P. Aliens always on top! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I though the brain was the real "big" commabder, leading the assault upon Earth, but befroe it was destroyed it started plan B (TFTD) and the rest of the aliens went home to regroup.

• 2 weeks later...

a lot of what everyone said is right....

*cracks his knuckles*, read on if you dare....

The brain creature is pretty much your (the player's) opposite -- the commander of their force. They are all in servitude to the brain creature (because he has mind controlled them all, arguably a brain that big could handle such a task, however, I never liked that as the storyline explaination of the aliens being controlled). As taken from the storyline of Alliance (never released) the sectoids come from a planet somewhere like 100,000 light years away (by the time of interceptor we have translight travel, so that ain't too far) therefore it is pretty safe to assume that most of the aliens are from similar distance from the earth, or that they have at least come from that distance to get here. According to the storyline, Cydonia is merely an outpost -- and when home is 100,000 light years away (even if you can make that trip relatively fast) you need an outpost. They needed a place that they could manage their invasion of earth without fearing that they could be shut down (and indeed at the beginning of the game it would be impossible for us to send anything to destroy their base on mars whether we knew it was there or not.) If I remember correctly the crashing of the T'Leth ship was an accident (they probably programmed the ship in feet but did the calculations in meters :bash: ) but seeing as the planet went into an ice age they went into cryo-storage and sent a little beacon far off into space to say "we made it, but we're not gonna be goin anywhere anytime soon..." So they go to sleep and Humans start to appear on earth (this part is my assertion). The whole "we created humans" is unfounded and never proven, nor do they support it in further storylines -- i think the brain was tryin to be like a used car salesman and keep your interest long enough that he could start the tachyon pulse to earth (completing the real part of their mission....restart the colonization proccess on T'Leth)....40 years go by (if you don't know what happens go to www.x-com.co.uk and read the interludes) and we fight #2. T'Leth goes boom and we get toxic levels of all kinds of good stuff goin everywhere. Even more governments merge to maintain order and eventually there are only like 7 countries. The Mega-city idea comes from scientists who say they can create a city that is completely self contained. Mega Primus goes in Toronto (or what's left of it) as a test project, under the notion that if it is successful they will build more of them. (that would be Apoc) *NOTE SPOILER RIGHT HERE* In Apoc there is Micronoid Aggregate, the alien actually behind that invasion -- this alien asserts control because although it is many single celled organisms, they work together as one, so it gets into the blood-stream of an organism and takes control. (toxin C is designed to target the DNA of micronoid aggregate -- hence it kills all aliens) The alien invasion in Apoc is to spread micronoid aggregate to hosts in this dimension. The entire alien life-span in this dimension is less than two weeks. Apoc takes place sometime around 2080.

Interceptor your fight all the aliens you've come to know and love (mutons, ethereals, and sectoids at least) with a new additional alien, however, I haven't played that game in years so I can't tell you what it is. More importantly is the storyline from this game: *NOTE SPOILER RIGHT HERE* The aliens are in the far reaches of the galaxy developing a weapon that will destroy the earth, and it is like the size of a planet. It is HUGE. So you have to fly through a black hole carrying a fusion bomb strapped to a trans-light drive -- called a nova bomb -- and launch it at the star their weapon is orbiting and then protect it while it charges for the light-speed jump. After that you just have 7 minutes to fight your way back to your ship before everything dies. The nova bomb flies to the core of the star and sets itself off right in the middle -- by doing so it starts a chain reaction to destroy the star early, completely vaporizing the entire solar system (which in this case would include one earth destroying weapon). Very cool storyline on that one.

X-Com alliance was to take place in the future, around the time of Apoc, i believe. A translight probe finds an ion trail characteristic of the Paton class ship -- which has been out of service for decades, one resides in the smithsonian. The only paton that *might* still be in service is the UGS Paton (the prototype too...fancy that) which disappeared over mars in like 2012 (or thereabouts) You find yourself and your team 100,000 light years from earth and you are right in the middle of a war with the ascidians on one side and the sectoids (and their friends) on the other. You pick the ascidians side, but you begin to wonder who are really the good guys... For an FPS x-com it looked great.

X-com Enforcer was totally arcade and boring. The storyline was that after an alien war xcom lost funding and disbanded (which usually did happen) so, knowing that there would be another war, an ex-xcom scientist created the "enforcer", a robot that runs around fighting aliens with his super armor and great array of weaponry. There wasn't even a purpose to that game.

This concludes your history lesson for today.

To clear up a few questions from earlier posts:

Why the brain is so important: these aliens rely on order, and they get that through a centralized leader. without that leader they have only chaos (they've never learned to think on their own) and so they just do things pretty randomly, despite this -- they would still be very easy to deal with if they had no coordination. They probably did all of the things suggested, ran away, stayed at cydonia to see what happens, continued trying to invade....anything and everything that sounded good at the time. According to the storyline, within about 6 months the alien invasions had dropped to 1 attempt per month. They were no match for x-com without coordination.

What the rest of the aliens did: its above, but just in case -- they continued trying to invade for at least another 6 months being beaten easily.

Note: accept where noted as being my opinion, this is all the game storyline that Microprose released with the games (I have all of them and the accompanying material has all this stuff in there). This is just from memory, so the dates might be off a bit, but you still get the general idea of the timeline. If you don't own all the materials that shipped with the games, go to www.x-com.co.uk and view the timeline section.

Interesting thing about X-Com... It seems to have really great storyline but somehow new XComs just cant go out :(. Maybe it gonna sound weird and tupid but I'd really like visit world of Sectoids or Other race. Im still not sure about answer on my question :/. Now I wanna know: what was the brain?? It have mind controlled 'em all what suggests that they were brains slaves. So where did the brain came from? Ethereals made it?? Hmm

That is a good question -- and I don't have one. Not one that came with the story, and not even my own. I don't think that the etherals made him. I think that this alien is responsible for all the weird problem with each of the other aliens, though. who knows.

That is a good question -- and I don't have one.  Not one that came with the story, and not even my own.  I don't think that the etherals made him.  I think that this alien is responsible for all the weird problem with each of the other aliens, though.  who knows.

And thats my point! Have mythos missed that detail? It seems that story isn't exhausted and they still could make something new. Something had to bring that brain for brains sake! :cussing:

And this thing about brain talked to player about creating life on Earth to distract. Im not sure about that. In harvesters description UFOpaedia sugested that aliens are just colecting their crops...

And if u have seen UFO's end mission movie you saw that tachyon beam was sent by Ethereal Commander... That was me! Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Yes it was me! All futures troubles Im the reason! Mwahahaha! Second aliens wave - Im the reason! T'leth explosion and poisoning whole planet - well Im a little guilty of it too. And making Earth all useless with only one counting city - well if T'leth wouldn't explode...:freak:

And thats all cos of one alien who was left alive.

If they can't lead an invasion with out a brain and no one can step up and take the brains role then they must not be able to lead a outpost. So the brain could have been in the outpost before they left and sience they didn't blow up the base it could have just been like shut down and when they came back the turned it on or something and went from there. :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

Need a to-be-continiued story? ok

Year is 2159. Earth is destroyed by unknown alien forces. There are more life on mars then on the current earth.

A small force of 100 soldiers, are having a space-station at orbit arround Pluto. These are the X-com, and only survivors of the attack. But the technology they had, found their location right before they attacked. They had a moving planet with them, filled with aliens. It doomed earth. The X-com members had just found rich sources of an strange particle; it allows time-travel. They had just finnished their time-machine, but the aliens attacked. 10 soldiers leaped back 3 years in time, right before the destruction of the base. They had to build defences, and let the people know that aliens are hidding on earth, waiting for the killing spree.

Too much Body Harvest? :huh?:

• 3 weeks later...

Someone should jump on the bandwagon of MMORPGs and make an X-com one! (I'm joking here, I don't think the X-com story could really incorporate MMORPG very well ;) )

-Lambers

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Time travel, eh? Cool. . .but wouldn't that create a time paradox( :naughty: !)? I mean, in the memories of the ten time-travelers, no one alerted them to the danger. So if they went back in time and changed that, they would cease to exist--at least in that form. They would know something they didn't know, exist while they didn't have matter or energy. . .sparing your minds the technical stuff, they would initiate a time loop which would forever loop the moment they warned everyone to the instant they went back in time. Of course, when they went back, they would dematerialize by knowing something they didn't know, but because they didn't exist, they couldn't have told people, so they would exist. . .I love time paradoxes, don't you? Anyway, the bottom line is that if they went back in time, earth would be destroyed and the remaining 90 X-com operatives killed, etc. an infinite number of times. Peeps would suffer over and over again, but the aliens would never be victorious, because they hadn't won yet at the time the loop was initiated!

• 5 weeks later...

THIS is cydonia!

http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/Documents/mars-cydonia-nssdc-v1s.jpg

And this is the face of Cydonia!

http://library.thinkquest.org/6427/Cydonia.gif

There are reports that the face was just an illusion created by shadows and that later pictures reveal it to be just another rock formation, but as usual the conspiracy theorists are not resting.

(In reality, the part that looks like a face was blown up after X-COM defeated the alien brain. :D )

Edited by Chris StarShade

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you go with the theory of parallel universes. Then you can explain how they went back into time. I must say, why would the master brain let its slaves panic? I think that it might have been one of the origional cydonians, and when the alien stumbled upon it, it instantly reacted and mind controlled them. But certain aliens, such as Sectoids and Etherials, had enouph mind power and will power to have times of complete control, and be able to think by themselves, so they could complete their own missions, but the brain checked p on them to make sure they behaved. But all this power needed, plus the age of the brain, ment that it may have weakened over the eons of time it was innactive. But sometimes, i left lower tasks to the individual commanders of bases on earth(except for mutons, which needed the brain to survive) who could be trusted to be left alone most of the time. But the brain let his guard down, and he realized to late that the humans were quite capable of coming to mars, knew where he was, and could even discover what he was, but he learned this too late, and the humans attacked before he could pull everyone back. He sacrificed the weaker races so that the stronger ones(sectoids aren't classified as weak here) could try and put up a last stand to try and defend him. The xcom's first bombardment(you would think that the avenger would bombard the aliens) wiped out alot of thhe aliens troops and defenses, meaning that the aliens who were fighting xcom were truly the best of the best, and they were the only thing stopping the whole alien invasion from being stopped and eliminated. The sectoids and there cyberdisks were better suited for close corridors, becuase sectoids were weaker, meaning that they would prefer to be sniping, and the cyberdisks would explode, killing fellow aliens too often in close quarters, so etherials got the inside. But the brain knew that xcom would finally get in and it would be a face-off between him and xcom, so he desperately searched for something to destroy the humans and fullfill his mission of killing them. When xcom opperatives arrived into the brain's headquarters, he had almost found the proper activation codes for T'leth, so he tried to distract xcom just long enouph to prepare the beam to fire. As xcom killed him, a tachyon beam fired outward, into the calculated postion of T'leth, in one final attempt to destroy the human race once an for all.

Phew, that was long

I have a different idea.

I think the alien brain was the destroyer of the Cydonian civilization. (I also think that X-COM: Alliance, which never came out would have left you with a "surprise" where you discovered the "good" alien planet was Mars of the distant past)

The aliens are supposed to be like the Borg, but less centralized. Each alien "sector" has its own brain or controlling creature associated with it. The various species are beings that fell prey to the aliens' in the past and have been genetically modified so that they are now a new species of the aliens.

The various non-sentient creatures became the "terrorists" with only 5 truly sentient races.

The Ethereals are probably one of the earliest inducted, possibly even the original species before all their people were organized under a single mind.

The Sectoids may be the second species inducted, it is unclear whether their entire species has been assimilated or if there are some holdouts. Part of the aliens agenda seems to involve hybridizing sectoids and humans for whatever purposes. (Probably in an effort to create a species with decent physical strength and powerful psi powers).

I theorize that mutons were the third to enter the "collective." Due to their great physical abilities, their brain was atrophied so they wouldn't get any ideas and be easy to control.

Snakemen were probably the fourth race absorbed. For whatever reason, they have been permitted to continue breeding in their normal asexual manner.

I suspect Floaters are the most recent induction. Their ineffectiveness and the sloppy surgery to stick the flotation device in their torso bear all the marks of an experiment. This might explain why you usually stop seeing them halfway through the game, the aliens decide the experiment was a failure. Heh.

As for the species' of T'leth, I theorize that they were all land-based creatures that were genetically modified over an extensive period of time for aquatic living after they crashed into the sea. During the early phase of their exploration of the planet, they inducted some earth creatures before they decided that they were running out of resources and went on "stand by" until they were awakened by the Cydonians and discovered a perfect source of resources: Us.

I'm not sure about the brain "destroying" the Cydonian civilisation, they nmight have simply run out of ressources, or they were waiting for us to be more technologiccally advanced, so we'd be more usefull as slaves of the overbrain... :D

Otherwise, I agree with Starshade's interpretation of the "assimilation" of the various alien species. It is the explanation that makes the most sense, and is roughly what all the hints suggested in the original XCOM game.

It gives an epic struggle feel to the story, a realisation that the human race will not merely be hunted down, possibly to exctinction, but it will be enslaved forever... It brings a lot more drama to the governments that collaborate with the aliens, as they not only chose to stand idle, they are condemning us to slavery...

Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree with the explanation of the various races, especially the aquatic ones :D