XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Country Borders

Breunor

Yes, for gameplay we know it worked. I suppose we can look at a more inclusive model after v1 is out. One of the reasons game play would be affected by having more countries, is that the area to search for alien activity drops when you have stats segmented into smaller areas. If Sri Lanka suddenly shows lots of activity, it's easier to search than if it's Africa.

instead of having "cuntries", what about uniting them into bigger parts? (USA, Europe, Scandinavia, South Amarican Unition, mid amarican republic, Canada, South Pole, North pole, Russia, Near East Foundation, Far East Foundation, West african republic, North african republic, and South African republic)

It would be a huge loss to lose one of those big areas to alien pact. I prefer the original..

then what about that alien infiltration just lower their payment by, say, 10%? of cause, if its one of the bigger ships, and you are already doing bad, they would sign imidietly.

Coming up with a system like that would need to be a v2 feature, as it would require lots of playtesting to determine a proper balance.

how come USA is never grouped with more countries, it always funds alone? :whatwhat:

I think becasue the US is similar in size to Europe, and tends to fund things at a higher rate than individual European countries.

I can't find a reason to change perfectly working funding system although I always like new ideas if they are good ones..

Thats what I was just thinking... it seems like the current funding system works just fine. Also, why should Luxembourg and all of the small countries be in the alliance? They are getting the same benefits as the larger countries for less money... I think that they should be on their own or something...

Thats what I was just thinking... it seems like the current funding system works just fine. Also, why should Luxembourg and all of the small countries be in the alliance? They are getting the same benefits as the larger countries for less money... I think that they should be on their own or something...

i think more of size. its pretty hard if luxenberg (a city) is alone, because then you would need to crash the ufo down ONTO the city to get them to give you more. size matters.

• 4 months later...

can we not say there was a kick ar$e war or something which grouped a lot of the smaller more volatile countries.

We only really need to worry about far eastern europe asian and some african countries as they are the most volatile ones and are probably likely to change.

We only really need to worry about far eastern europe asian and some african countries as they are the most volatile ones and are probably likely to change.

The Middle East and Africa have tons of border changes. It's practically an annual thing in those areas.

I think China and India might want to do a little expanding, though. They've got 2 billion people in those two countries alone. Heck, they may even want to start colonizing the ocean soon enough. That'd lead into X-COM 2, at least. :rolleyes:

Guest drewid
can we not say there was a kick ar$e war or something which grouped a lot of the smaller more volatile countries.

instead of countries we could have things like "east african alliance" "indonesian treaty organisation" kinda like dealing with NATO.

instead of countries we could have things like "east african alliance" "indonesian treaty organisation" kinda like dealing with NATO.

Excellent idea, I don't think civilized countrys will start wars nowadays just to expand borders. Alliances on the other hand is a great idea. Though if you think about EU for example as a ONE funder, that's a huge amount of money!!

The key is making groupings that not only make sense as far as economic alliances are concerned, but also large/small enough for game balance regarding base placement and funding losses.

how come USA is never grouped with more countries, it always funds alone?

We could group USA with Finland, and call it the Finnish Conglomerate..? Well, perhaps not...

I say that we have the original X-Com map for economy, but display actual modern day borders as lines on the map, how's that?

I say that we have the original X-Com map for economy, but display actual modern day borders as lines on the map, how's that?

Too much ripped off. It would be better we make our own.

I think that there should jsut be continents. After all the organisation is the Council of Funding Nations. Not just the "Funding Nations". I.e. the nations which are coffing up the dough have elected representatives to sit on a council (this can all be included in the Xnet Database entry). These representatives collect the money fromt he participating countries in thier area and then meet and pool what they have before passing it on. Then you would need less (though still a fair few) regions:

Western Europe

Eastern Europe

Western Russia

Eastern Russia

Eastern Orient

Weaster Orient

Northern Oceana

Southern Oceana

Northern Africa

Southern Africa

Northen America

Southern America

Antartica

Arctic

or somthing like that

i like the idea. just some notes on your council list:

- i think Europe is far too small to have Western Europe and Eastern Europe. and Western would probably fund much less than Eastern ;)

- Russia doesn't need to be split into western and eastern. The country alone funds as much as any other council.

- It's Western/Eastern Asia, not Western/Eastern Orient

- hmmm... Antarctica, I wonder who they've got to fund us :P

- hmmm... Antarctica, I wonder who they've got to fund us :P

Baby seals.

But SupSuper is right, we can't really have a few isolated researchers in the antartic funding us, now could we? We should stick to North and South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Indonesia/Australia. That way, there is less confusion. (imo)

all good points

Country borders should still exist and coverage of each contry will give the total for each area and at the end of the month the player is given a report like:

Council of Funding Nations Convenes 31st of March 2014

Minutes:

Councilor for [Region]: "All/most/some/no governments in my region have recieved exellent/good/average/bad/poor/ coverage and protection this year. They hope that X-corps will consider constructing a facility in the region soon/The construction of a new facility this month has brought jobs wealth to the region/We all feel relativly/reasonably/very safe knowing there are [#] facilities currently now operating in our area. We have decided to increase/decrease/maintain level of funding."

Funding Change: + $600,000

Funds Recieved: $2,300,000

Councilor for [Region]: ... etc...

With this system we can have a "show region borders" button and a "show country borders" button on the geoscope and everyone is happy ^_^

Edited by MagicAndy

on a more serios note, the funding should be unbalanced, that way its more strategic. eg. aliens capture europe and usa so you must cover twice as much area to make up for lost profit protecting the countries with smaller pockets.

Microsoft fund more than the entire world, should they be a nation? :)

we COULD....

but that should be under "private founding". They should vary diffrent. Like, a terror-site outcome changes it. Most civilians died, founding goes down. Let UFOs land for abduction missions, founding goes down.

• 2 months later...
Western Europe

Eastern Europe

Western Russia

Eastern Russia

Eastern Orient

Weaster Orient

Northern Oceana

Southern Oceana

Northern Africa

Southern Africa

Northen America

Southern America

Antartica

Arctic

Heh, neither antartica nor the artic can fund you :D

I think there are some redundancies in your groupings. Here are some basic groupings:

Northern Africa

Southern Africa

European Union

United Kingdom (should probably be seperate as it isn't all that integrated with the EU :D )

Northern Europe (this would include countries like greenland, iceland, norway, finland, etc...)

Eurasia (Russia and former soviet satellite states that are not yet in the EU)

Middle East

Northern Asia

Southeast Asia

Australia

New Zealand

Pacific Islands

Canada

USA

Mexico

South America

This makes exactly 16, and covers the world, but has some pretty large groupings. It'd be kinda nice if the countries were grouped together by rough regions, (ie. europe, eurasia, asia, africa, middle east, pacific, (NOT Oceania! :P) north america, south america) and funding was listed by these regions. Then you could expand them into countries, and for the larger countries, these would extend again into states- and when all of the expansion is done, THOSE areas would be the individual building blocks that could be subverted by aliens- so you don't even lose the whole USA or EU, when the aliens sign a treaty, but you may lose Michigan or Spain.

I'd agree though that at first that sort of system is too complex.

That doesn't seem like a very natural grouping though. Why would those countries be allied? How does the artic tie them together?

I thought it would make much more sense to keep canada seperate, or at most, have it allied with the US or other high-north countries. Russia is enormous enough by itself that it doesn't really need any more allies at all- it only gets the rest of "eurasia" because it doesn't make much sense to lump them in with any other groups. Thus the "northern european" grouping, too, encompasses the remaining countries around the artic.

ANYway, I think it's kinda irrelevant. If we have countries work sorta like a nested tree that you can expand, with countries inside alliances, and for large countries, states inside countries, it would kinda render the whole thing irrelevant. The problem with that approach is that you then need to know the boundaries and names for each state you plan on incorporating, in addition to the countries, and set individual funding levels for each of those. I think eventually this would be a good idea though, as it sorta merges the problem of "regionality." XCOM activity in the territory of an alliance pleases all alliance members, and pleases the specific country it is in even more, and where applicable, the specific state even more, too. This would be a complex solution though and would take a while to code.

I think a list like either mine or MagicAndy's would be fine for the first version. This would give us a much better initial spread of funding areas than UFO had- for example, there was little incentive to protect africa or the middle east when you could build bases in Europe/America first, cover the one you missed next, and then cover asia and the pacific with the same base, wheras it would probably have made your third base a more difficult choice between Asia/Pacific and Africa/Middle East if those areas had been filled out with all their funding nations.

Oh, and please please please, don't call it "Oceania" ingame. Only Americans call it that, and the words we use are recognisable, too :D Over here's it's either Australasia or the Pacific.

Make at least a region "central Europe", I don't want us (Slovaks) to be behind the same border as Germans in western or with Russians in eastern Europe. I think european borders should be more detailed. I can't imagine what would aliens do on empty plains of Siberia, Sahara or Gobi, here they have plenty to do.

Heh. Although insensitive, it might make more sense if they were grouped with western europe, "northern" europe, or eurasia. Failing that, they can be middle-eastern ;D

Seriously though, if there were a "central europe," (I'd personally call it "eastern europe") what would it consist of?

It's still a problem though... as I would be tempted to say that for Western Europe the EU should simply be used... but the EU has snagged up a lot of states that could be called Eastern Europe quite recently... I mean, if you count all of those as Western Europe, there's not really all that much LEFT for Eastern Europe, is there? :D

Heh. Although insensitive, it might make more sense if they were grouped with western europe, "northern" europe, or eurasia. Failing that, they can be middle-eastern ;D

Seriously though, if there were a "central europe," (I'd personally call it "eastern europe") what would it consist of?

Slovakia, Bohemia, Poland, Germany Austria, Hungary, perhaps Slovenia. In fact mathematical center of Europe is in western Slovakia. You need a lesson of geography :D Altough it's more cultural division, with "eastern Europe" are usually ment states with majority of orthodox christians, like Ukraine, Romania or Russia. What we aren't!

Slovakia, Bohemia, Poland, Germany Austria, Hungary, perhaps Slovenia. In fact mathematical center of Europe is in western Slovakia. You need a lesson of geography Altough it's more cultural division, with "eastern Europe" are usually ment states with majority of orthodox christians, like Ukraine, Romania or Russia. What we aren't!

Hmmm. Geographically I'd say you're right, but the important consideration is actually politically. Germany, Austria, and Poland are all part of the EU, which is about as politically "western europe" as you can get. That leaves Slovakia, Bohemia, Hungary, and maybe Slovenia. Given that they're squished between two very convenient groups, (europe and russia/eurasia) is that really enough for them to be a politically distinct entity?

Slovakia, Bohemia, Poland, Germany Austria, Hungary, perhaps Slovenia. In fact mathematical center of Europe is in western Slovakia. You need a lesson of geography Altough it's more cultural division, with "eastern Europe" are usually ment states with majority of orthodox christians, like Ukraine, Romania or Russia. What we aren't!

Hmmm. Geographically I'd say you're right, but the important consideration is actually politically. Germany, Austria, and Poland are all part of the EU, which is about as politically "western europe" as you can get. That leaves Slovakia, Bohemia, Hungary, and maybe Slovenia. Given that they're squished between two very convenient groups, (europe and russia/eurasia) is that really enough for them to be a politically distinct entity?

Slovakia, Bohemia, Hungary and Slovenia are in EU as well since may, as well as Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, but they're still much different entities than Germany or Russia...

Detail is possible, on 320x240 of original XCOM it wasn't easy, but now we have technology for it. I would see it logical, if all countries will be contained on map, from Afghanistant to Zimbabwe. Some poorer countries like Sudan would have minimal or no funding, so it won't care if we'll forget about a UFO or two over them, but then imagine a hunt over Switzerland, where you would have a big motivation to shoot them down. Richest, strongest or largest countries would fund most, in this category would be ie USA, Russia, China, India or Germany, second category would be paying ie one tenth, there should be some as Egypt or Hungary, and then ones not involved in XCOM project. Total number of funders could be around 50, what might be balanced by alien infiltrations. To leave some motivation, XCOM funding should go trough UN, so if we leave alien operations over non-funding countries, it may still hurt funding trough some common discontent of funding members.

Edited by Caid

<SNIP>

Slovakia, Bohemia, Hungary and Slovenia are in EU as well since may, as well as Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, but they're still much different entities than Germany or Russia...

Yeah, I realise that :) The problem is getting a good spread of areas for the first version, not permantly excluding anyone, as I read it...

Which for example would probably mean such attrocities as lumping New Zealand in with Australia, and Canada in with the USA...

I guess we can just go with "European Union" for a whole category then and skip around the problem of eastern/western Europe entirely, leaving only the scandanavian areas to worry about ;)

<SNIP>

Yeah, I realise that :) The problem is getting a good spread of areas for the first version, not permantly excluding anyone, as I read it...

Which for example would probably mean such attrocities as lumping New Zealand in with Australia, and Canada in with the USA...

I guess we can just go with "European Union" for a whole category then and skip around the problem of eastern/western Europe entirely, leaving only the scandanavian areas to worry about ;)

Well, as you don't like New Zealand merged with Australia, what should I say as a Slovak, if my country would be merged with ie Hungary, with whom we had struggles for about 1000 years :D

Just managed to get stirred up...

[...] In fact mathematical center of Europe is in western Slovakia. [...]

They show the center of Europe in Ukraine, too, I've seen it :D

Well, as you don't like New Zealand merged with Australia, what should I say as a Slovak, if my country would be merged with ie Hungary, with whom we had struggles for about 1000 years  :D

<_ from the very time hungarians arrived to area heh you would be merged with czechs anyway src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_evillaugh.gif" alt=":devillaugh:"> )

Now, that this post looks suspiciously political, I'll add my 0.02€. Central Europe could easily consist of Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, maybe the Baltic states and some/all states of the Balkans (I know, I know, it's Southern Europe and all); but it would be more sensible IMHO to have a 'Western Europe' consisting of current EU and the Scandinavian region, and Eastern Europe to handle the rest of the countries up to Russia (or maybe even have CIS as a funding body :naughty: ). If we are to have

This has gotten very political, the way the nations are laid out should be either in order of how rich the country is (the gpd site listed earlier is based on information that is YEARS out of date), or, and i prefer this, just list continents (leaving out antarctica!).

I mean you cant list north america and then list all of europe as one if youre going by cash alone, france, germany, britain etc. are all very wealthy nations, combined they would put out far more cash than the US, then theres a good few very wealthy small nations that are too small an area for the map but their money would bring them onto the world stage.

I say list the continents and have their funding as a random amount which can rise or fall, that way its easy to do and you only annoy people who think their country is the richest just because they live there!

And it can always be revised later when theres time!

Centurion, with Czechs it would be no problem, I opposed the partation :D

• 1 month later...

Imo, there should be Europe and Scandinavia.

Europe is a little round dot on the world map, while the scandinavians countries are above that dot. If you get my draft.

Have you dicsused a broder aspect of the diplomatic issues in the game ? if so, where is the thread.

By the way, us vikings from the northland will never surrender for some stinking aliens! :spank: