XCOMUFO & Xenocide

This is my first time visiting this site, so I haven't had the time to look through much of what others wrote. I used to dream of what could be added to a new X-COM. One of my ideas was to have the soldiers give orders to civilians and have those civilians follow them out, atleast if they are not panicking. I just hate seeing civilians out in the open or run off to the location of the aliens. It is always my goal to save as many of them as possible. What if you could order the civilians to move to a general area that is relatively secure, such as the ship. Please respond.

This is indeed a good idea and the subject has already been adressed in a more or less formal way...

We are currently trying to write the design doc which will include more details on what have been decided so far...

Any other ideas is more than welcome at the time (in this forum) and we are also still looking for members wishing to imply themselves in the project (afaik)

• 2 years later...

options for soldiers giving orders could include:

come with me, if you want to live--civilian follows soldier wherever to be protected.

hide--civilian hides in a dark corner or behind some boxes instead of standing in open.

go to location (A)--select a specific square nearby for them to go to and stay put unless shot at or spotted by alien.

evacuate building--civilian exits building because you're about to level it with a launcher, or you've just placed a C-4 charge and times-a-wastin :explode:

watch my back--soldier is by himself and needs help as his comrades are spread out or dead. You give civilian a sidearm or other.

distracting run--civilian sprints across open area in front of alien and behind another building. The alien then tries to go over there and kill civ., but he didn't see you as you walk up behind him and :ar15:

Edited by PaladinWOL

• 4 months later...

Good idea, PaladinWOL, but Civilians should also have some common sense, for example:

Let's say you planted a C4 charge, and just for kicks you tell a civilian to go stand on top of it...

An add-on to the "Watch my back" thing, there are going to be crappy civilian policemen with crappy civilian pistols, right?

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

IMO, non-player actors could be contacted and commanded, whether civilian, armed civilian or member of armed force. Though how they will react is another issue.

Moreover: just the same for X-Com operative whose Tactical Communicator was blasted to droplets by plasma bolt (though Stilgar was right about troops and savages). :)

go to location (A)--select a specific square nearby for them to go to and stay put unless shot at or spotted by alien.

evacuate building--civilian exits building because you're about to level it with a launcher, or you've just placed a C-4 charge and times-a-wastin

If police or other defensive force present, they should do this, and at high priority: "evacuate, evacuate, evacuate, run away you stupid lunatics, ...". Edited by Turbo Beholder