XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Venus Instead Of Mars

:idea: What do you thing about this idea, the last mission could be on Venus instead of Mars, with the very high density atmosphere, no satelites can't see the Base on the planet and there is a beautifull yellow smog at the surface of Venus.

But we could nevertheless make a mission on Mars to get something.

And on the dark side of the Moon too.

And in a giant alien spaceship... :sly:

This should probably go in the lab.

Anyway, about Venus, the air is extremely dense there, The sectoids probably wouldn't even be able to move, only the mutons would be able to fight effectively. Plus, Martian conditions aren't nearly as hostile to carbon based life as those on Venus. Plus, where is cydonia on venus? :blink:

IIRC the temperature and poisonous gases would be pretty hideous to most complex life forms on Venus. I doubt the aliens would chose one of the most hostile environments as a base of operations really.

Another good reason to not move it beyond the fact the original uses mars, is that Deimos is working on animation sequences that go to mars as well. :D

Of course they'd be pretty strong :)

"Mylord, comscan has detected an energy field protecting an area on the 6th planet of the Hoth system. The shield is strong enough to deflect any bombardment."

(sorry, just saw Star Wars TESB :) )

Deflector shields could somehow reflect the fire away? Of course they'd call them "grav shields" or something else. But the creative text has the plasma weapons using magnetic fields to propel the plasma shots, so the fields could also slow down the shots too, right?

As this is the lab ;)

Even with Grav shield and alien alloys, if the xcorps were ever able to go to venus all that would be needed to crack domes would be elerium based bombs to crack them.

Venus' surface is pretty hostile and all that would be needed would be a similar system to underwater combat we have IRL. Breach the atmosphere and make it unliveable for whatever lives inside the domes and objective done.

So in the end all that would be needed to kill off any bases on Venus would be an extended research on blaster/fusion technology to crate larger more powerful bombs to send hydrodynamic shockwaves across the surface of a dome and bye bye alien presence. These bombs could have to be placed physically on the domes to combat the energy shielding.

So if you had to send a physical presence there to actually guide in the bombs, then a new craft after the ultimate one would have to be build as well as some new kind of pressurised suit for the operatives so they can operate outside the craft.

Doesn't sound as much fun as sending your best team to Mars to kick butt on the overmind though ;)

• 2 months later...

I recently heard that the scientific conclusion about venus are nothing but a big conspiracy Apparently Venus is not quite as hostile as we led to believe. :stupid: source: The Art bell show about 2 months ago. John Lear (the son of the inventer of the Lear jet). Seriously it could go very well into the theme of the game.

We would have to use underground base of course. We could also have a time limit how much time the squad could spend on the surface. So it would be a race to the entrance with alien trying to block the way.

Do I still prefer the big Mars Cydonia ending? Yes but it would be different and on the cutting edge of conspiracy.

Venus for a v1+ version the craft would require you have avenger and whatever the X2 version of avenger is researched then you can make a venusian capable avenger.

it could also be a hoovering station? it wouldn't be as dense in the outer atmosphere.

And you could start by colonizing a moon?

I think venus is a nice place for the aliens. It is something else then mars and since the battlescape is not done yet. AFAIK it should not be a problem. Just rename venus to mars and make a nice cover story.

The original snakemen where good againts fire i thought or where that the mutons well since it is quite hot there they can do the outdoor fighting and the sectoids can do the fighting in the base where the airco is working :D And since venus is about the same size as the earth and mars the gravity would be almost the same and why cant the base not have a gravity system to keep it working. Could be something else to destroy then a giant eye :).

I mean this are not major changes to the game itself and dont require more implementation then the original story and it is something new.

Titan... sounds like a good name for an ending battle. Although Pluto has a nice ring too ^_^ .

If we think of something like TFTD... Neptune could be a possibility. Problem is the planet's conditions...

That's the problem i meant.... all gas... were is the substance? LOL an idea to forget.

Edit: at least the building on ground... hovering units could be fun!.

Edited by Black Dash

Maybe in IO... Jupiters moon. It has many active volcanoes but it could do the job. Also for a thing like TFTD EUROPA could do since it is thougt to full of ice and uder it it may contain a vast ocean.

• 11 months later...

HA, Europa, like 2001 a Space Odyssey.

This is a good idea though, everyone expects life on Mars, but Aliens on Titan, Callisto, Ganymede, or Deimos would throw everyone for a loop. I'm rather partial to the moons of our solar system since people tend not to know about them.

• 5 months later...

I don't get it - why would environmental pressure / composition would play any significant role in battle? Aliens are supposed to be developed enough to think of and manufacture armor suits that can filter out any poison from the air. I mean, if even humans can, they surely can too.

Speaking of which, why don't aliens ever have some kind of armor?

And I agree to the idea, that while the FINAL mission should be on Mars (just to stick to the original story), there could be several other story-related missions to other planets. Kinda hard to believe that the aliens, who travel Earth-Mars on daily basis can't set some outposts on other planets.

Perhaps it can be viewed too as the aliens adopting what we'd consider common sense, just from having been dealing with us over a period of time. Specifically speaking about concepts of "redundancy" here.

We may be enemies, but that doesn't mean it would be wise not to study each other to the extents possible :)

And, in a way they already understand these concepts to some degree. I mean while its true the Overmind controls all its minion's actions, it still knows enough to build several bases on Earth from which to operate from to make things easier on them objective-wise. I never thought they ever needed X-COM to point out the logic of this to them, they seemed to be doing it fine on their own.

In any case, given the way they fight, I wonder if the Overmind was ever skeptical enough to entertain the idea that its enemies could kill it given the chance.

Given their technological abilities with respect to cloning, I wonder if the Overmind thought about or was cabable of using those cloning techniques to make copies of himself grown in secret on any of the other planets/moons in our system. Who knows why he didn't, but I'd suspect one reason, even if he could, is that having more than one in a given region could introduce conflicting behavior in the other aliens when Overminds butt heads.

Although, in this example, we are talking about one Overmind here, who's intellect and such is simply transferred to another copy. It would be the same guy so those orders given out shouldn't create too much bedlam in the aliens.

Anyway, just thinking out loud about the feasibility of why they'd try to take full use of what exists here in our system. Plus, I like the thought very much of exploring new arenas to fight in. This other stuff is for the text folks to ponder for the future versions.

Let say they planned for the possiblity of the main overmind dying. They plant seeds and equipment for more overminds on other planets/moons/asteroids and even the ocean bottom of Earth. However the mind embryoes require input from an overmind to advance in growth. It then reaches a point where growth does not require outside input. At that point a holding pattern is created that will only be disrupted by the destruction of the current Overmind. The new overmind grows within a couple months and starts setting up shop. They then put the next egg in line into embryo status. Theorhetically overminds keep popping up until finally the one at the bottom of the ocean evolves and comes after us.

Hmmm.... With all this talk of overminds on all these planets? What about some other species getting invaded? Any highly advanced technological that uses tech like ours, we would've detected (probably, unless they have like supersuper-advanced shielding tech). But, say, a society of shark-like creatures with additional hands, poisoned fangs and claws, the ability to spray ink to hide like an octopus, and psi at Cloak ability levels inhabiting the possible seas of Io would pose a formidable foe to the Overmind. And given their psi abilities, they would learn usage of alien weapons rather quickly. Perhaps that is why the aliens can't so easily do a full-force assault on Earth, they're occupied with someone else...

Ok, now this is just getting wierd :P

Maybe to prevent us from blowing them up from orbit, the aliens could have *fanfare* *drumroll* *collective gasp* *more melodramatic stuff* *sneeze* base defenses? :blink:

We'd be able to get through to land, but unable to dodge/soak up damage long enough to destroy the base from orbit.

The multiple overmind idea kinda reminds me of Mario. "We're sorry xcorp but the overmind is in another castle"

Anyway. It would be neat to go to other planets, but i don't think it would add to much to the game really. The overmind is building bases on earth itself anyway remember? It would be realistic to at least have an alien base on the moon however.